March 4th, 2008

Schneider: Why Obama won Vermont

(CNN) – Barack Obama is headed for an easy victory in Vermont, fueled by overwhelming victories among voting blocs that have solidly aligned with Hillary Clinton in other states.

Though women voters and seniors are the backbone of Clinton's support, in Vermont more than two-thirds of women, and roughly 60 percent of voters age 65 and higher, went for Obama.

One of the key reasons this groups went for Obama? The Iraq war. While the issue has fallen in importance among voters in several other states, Vermont voters ranked it nearly as important as the economy, and those who said it was the number one issue went for Obama over Clinton by nearly 3 to 1.

Obama often touts the fact he was initially opposed to the Iraq war while Clinton voted to authorize it. He has consistently beaten Clinton among voters concerned about Iraq - and in Vermont, this gap clearly proved decisive.

Related Video: Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser analyzes Tuesday's primaries

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider • Candidate Barack Obama • Vermont
  1. THOMAS

I THINK AMERICA NEED TO FIND ANEW FOREING POLICY TO CLEAN SOME MESS ALL OVER THE WORLD ,OBAMA IS THE CANDIDATE WHO WILL BRING PEACE TO THE PEOPLE WHOS LOOKING FOR THAT GO OBAMA. CNN NEEDS TO LEARN HOW TO DO THE JORNALIST JOB WHICH IS GIVE INFORMATION NOT DISINFORMATION .

March 4, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  2. cdsw

YES WE CAN! YES WE CAN! YES WE CAN! YES WE CAN! YES WE CAN!

March 4, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  3. CHERYL

VERMONT IS VERY LIBERAL!

SO IS OBAMA!

I GUESS THEY DO NOT MIND THAT HE IS A LIAR!!!!!!!

HILLARY IS HONEST AND GETS MY VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!

March 4, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  4. Marge

Go Hillary! My 77 years of observing and judging tells me you will make a great president. I trust you. I admire your strength. I feel confident that you will make wise decisions.

March 4, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  5. Marcia

I am revolted by Clinton's negativity. I do not want someone like that in the White House. She is simply a continuation of what we have had. I WILL NOT vote for her and many many others feel the same. Should she get the nomination with her abominable tactics, the Republicans will keep the White House. As I am listening to McCain's speech right now, he is sounding better and better. Barak Obama is the only one who truly understands and cares about the American people. Mrs. Clinton cares only for herself.

March 4, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  6. Hill for President!

Obama: DROP OUT!!!

Stop your train of the purest, most disgraceful selfishness, and admit that you're just way too unqualified, egotistical, and presumptuous to run against a strong, unstoppable, beyond intelligent woman and a former 5-year POW in the Vietnam War. You are in no position to run, and your arrogant, self-righteous attitude is despicable!

This American Idol cult is disbanded. Move on over to let the big, qualified people handle the job!

March 4, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  7. Debbie

It's really happening. The worst of the worst is winning out over all.
    CNN projects Hillary the winner in OHIO. That must make all those folks whose vote has not been counted feel really important. I wish there was a law to stop that. No projections by media. Report the final vote and that is all. No Delegates and No Super Delegates being able to determine who is president rather than the vote of the people.

March 4, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |