March 4th, 2008

Schneider: Why Obama won Vermont

(CNN) – Barack Obama is headed for an easy victory in Vermont, fueled by overwhelming victories among voting blocs that have solidly aligned with Hillary Clinton in other states.

Though women voters and seniors are the backbone of Clinton's support, in Vermont more than two-thirds of women, and roughly 60 percent of voters age 65 and higher, went for Obama.

One of the key reasons this groups went for Obama? The Iraq war. While the issue has fallen in importance among voters in several other states, Vermont voters ranked it nearly as important as the economy, and those who said it was the number one issue went for Obama over Clinton by nearly 3 to 1.

Obama often touts the fact he was initially opposed to the Iraq war while Clinton voted to authorize it. He has consistently beaten Clinton among voters concerned about Iraq - and in Vermont, this gap clearly proved decisive.

Related Video: Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser analyzes Tuesday's primaries

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider • Candidate Barack Obama • Vermont
  1. Bryan, Dallas, TX

WE CAN AND WE WILL HAVE ANOTHER 4 YEARS OF THE GOP IF IT
    MEANS WE HAVE TO HAVE OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT OF THE USA.
    PLACE HAND OVER HEART AND SAY AFTER ME " I PLEDGE ...."
    OH YEAH HE DOESN'T AND WON'T DO THAT!
    EVEN A REPUBLICAN IS BETTER THAN A PRES. WITH NO RESPECT FOR THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE DIED UNDER THAT GREAT STAR SPANGLED BANNER!

March 4, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  2. king from toronto

good start for the night.yes we can

March 4, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  3. Lily

Go hill that's why you are going,to be the next presedent because you are a fighter

March 4, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  4. Cindy

Goooooooooooooooooobama!

March 4, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  5. Roxy

Sorry to burst the bubble of the poor little Obama supporters but if he is the nominee, MCCAIN will win the whitehouse no doubt. You don't believe me? Well, just wait and see what the GOP does with him comes November! There is no way he'll survive the GOP shredder. Did you see him rushing out the door when the media tried to question him about his true stance on free trade with Canada? That did not look very presidential to me. Why didn't he stay and took the bull by the horns? And to think that this is nothing compared to what he's going to have to go thru if he is the nominee with all the dirt I'm sure the GOP will dig up in the General election. This is when words like VETTED AND EXPERIENCED come to mind.

Let me remind you all this is not a superbowl! It's about real issues that affect our daily lives. People of TEXAS, RI, AND OHIO, PLEASE DO THE RIGHT THING FOR AMERICA AND VOTE FOR HILLARY!

March 4, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  6. Jeff

Vermont is the state which most remembers what made this union of states strong, and who value freedom, if not more, then at least more vocally, than any other state in the union. With Ron Paul out of the picture, Vermont knows Barack Obama is the candidate most likely to bring us back closer to our ideals.

March 4, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  7. Cindy

END THIS TONIGHT!!!!!

HILLARY NEEDS TO DROP OUT!!!!!!!!!!

March 4, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  8. Stamford

Obama has yet to unite the party. The issue on Iraq to me is moot. Bush duped the entire Congress. What Obama done about it since then ! Nothing.

March 4, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  9. care

I was quite moved by the comment made by Fanchiface – a black man who is not an American, who is proud of his race. Not only is Obama the most qualified in my opinion – as I agree with him on the issues – but he is such a wonderful symbol of unity. I know it's politically incorrect to say that, but I can't help but feel it. I believe the young people have a wisdom that we older folks may lack.

March 4, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  10. Nikole

What makes you think that states that HRC has won (CA for example) will not go to the Democratic nominee no matter who it is? How silly to think that the Republicans will sweep EVERY state she has won thus far!

March 4, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  11. Glen

I am Black and I am not voting for OBAMA….

This Guy is too liberal.

This Guy has no experience.

This Guy is a liar ( He told the Canadian Government that he is O.K with NAFTA ; behind close door he is saying NAFTA IS O.K and in public he is saying he will negoiate NAFTA )

HE IS A LIAR !!!! OBAMA IS A LIAR !!!

WAKE UP !! PEOPLE !!!

March 4, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  12. Antonio

I think it's ridiculous that some of you love to bash Hillary who is a democrat candidate. I voted for Hillary but I still think Obama is a great choice as well, simply because he's the opposite of what we currently have in the White House. We shouldn't be separating ourselves based on who we voted for, we all need to unite and get a Democrat in the white house. Stop wasting your time with petty things and just be happy that we have two very good candidates.

And Obama won Vermont simply because of the moment he's had, not cause the people in Vermont are smarter than anyone else in the country. If Hillary won 11 in a row, she would have won Vermont. That's how it works.

March 4, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  13. Toby

Appears the Obama campaign has held off the best known politician and her consultants in states where he originally wasnt thought to have a chance. She's through now unless she cheats. OK Go HRC spin doctors.

I really marvel at comments from many Hillary supporters such as "Vermont doesnt matter" Everybody matters. Barack is running a campaign in every state his campaign doesnt discount certain states to try to only win big states.

March 4, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  14. Reason why CNN called the race early

The reason why the race was called before the actual votes were counted is based on the exit poll.

The exit poll was conducted on a random sample of those exiting the polling place and is fairly representative of the voters. For there to be such an early call, the margin of victory for Obama, based on the demographics and answers to the exit poll, must have been significant (>15%) to overcome any random error or chance in the data.

March 4, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  15. pamsiri

I am CANADIAN, I couldn't sleep well for your political outcome. I would like to see a woman win and respect as a world leader for all of us. The change will come along, please pick her, don't blame her for GWB's war...OBAMA he can run for the next round. NOT THIS TIME.

March 4, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  16. SO Ashamed

oooooo Bryan NICE play!!!

Way to get those figures, my man!

obama '08

March 4, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  17. CZ

Are you guys kidding? *Insert state that HRC lost* doesn't really matter much, she didn't even try there. The campaign will just keep swift boating Senator Obama until a state that matters votes. Meanwhile, her supporters attack young people, black people, and the college educated. After all, they ARE the groups that typically get the Dems over the hump in the National, so alienating them will accomplish....I'm not sure. But keep doing it.

March 4, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  18. king from toronto

obama wins texas""" yes we can.so we have done

March 4, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  19. Valerie

Why would America not want the obviously talented peacemaker that is Barack Obama. He's a gift. Take it!

March 4, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  20. Marie

Shame on all of you woman who did not vote for Hilliary – for the first time in history we have the opportunity to vote for an intelligent, articulate, dedicated, and experienced woman who would and could sucessfully lead our country. We may never have this opportunity again. On the other hand, I am sure you will have the opportunity to vote for a male presidential canidate again. Ladies, whether you know it or not, you will never be a member of the "boys club" so don't be fooled.

March 4, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  21. JUDE A OZUGHEN

People are simply tired of Clinton"s machinations and surreptitious design, either by commission or omission to distort facts for selfish political reasons. Senator Barack Obama will wrap up this nomination at the end of the night.The American people have the astute judgement and political savvy to sieve facts from distortions.

March 4, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  22. Frederick

The thought of Hope,and the close of the generation gap is greatful. I now know that if Clinton wins I will not vote in November.

March 4, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  23. :I

Scroll down to Glen's comment.

Right on Glen, I couldn't have said it better myself. It's good to see that not everyone got sucked into the "hope machine", which will only disappoint us in the end..

March 4, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  24. Roger from Arkansas

In November, I will vote for the most experienced candidate.

March 4, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |