March 4th, 2008

Texas Democrats report complaints over caucuses

(CNN) - Following a Clinton campaign call alleging irregularities in the Texas Democratic caucuses, a state party representative told CNN that voters had been registering similar complaints with the party Tuesday evening.

“It is important to understand when you see a turnout in these numbers you are going to witness some problems, and the Texas Democratic Party has taken all the steps it can to make sure the process is run as smoothly as possible,” said Hector Nieto, the state party’s communications director. “We understand that there are voters across the state that have concerns, and we urge them to contact the call center.”

Nieto said the Texas Democratic Party had established a call center with 200 phone lines that was staffed by lawyers to “address any concerns.”

Nieto was unable to provide a time when the results of the caucuses would be made public. At stake in Tuesday evening’s party-run caucuses were 67 delegates. Earlier in the day, 126 delegates were on the line in the state-run primary.

– CNN's Mark Preston and Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Texas
  1. GEJ

TEXAS NEEDS TO DUE AWAY WITH THE CAUCUS. LET THE POPULAR VOTE DECIDE.ITS UNFAIR TO THE TEXANS

March 4, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  2. Tara

I think there is a problem with the caucuses too. I also think it's a problem that Florida and Michigan's primaries did not count. It wasn't the Democrats' fault in those states that their votes didn't count toward delegates. The state government decided that for us! Hillary SHOULD complain about those votes not being counted. I am a Floridian and voted in the Democratic primary (for Hillary). There was just a news story on tonight (locally) about how the losing candidate in Florida is actually the winner! Because our votes for Hillary didn't count, Obama is leading. If Hillary had our votes, she would be behind!

March 4, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  3. Amy in Iowa

Whenever a caucus is involved, the Clinton campaign makes a stink. Hillary made a speech tonight that just proved to me how pathological she is. She said she won Michigan. Hillary has got to be crazy. I will never vote for a Clinton.

March 4, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  4. HGL57

Ok, Hillary takes Ohio and she address her followers. Talking about solutions for healthcare. Wait a minute, didn't she and hubby Bill promise that in '92???? Wasn't she appointed chairperson for healthcare reform????? Poor America, we've forgotten this tired of clinton line again. When will people learn that her agenda is not America but only for hillary.

March 4, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  5. Amy in Iowa

Just because more people are helping the Obama campaign on the ground, does not mean an irregularity. Jealousy from the Clinton campaign maybe?

March 4, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  6. l. reid

Clinton's negative politics have drained me. I am a black american that had all intentions of voting for her. Now I have as much distaste for her as I do her husband. If Obama does not get the nod, I will not vote for any president. That box will be left blank.

March 4, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  7. Chris Austin Texas

I bet Obama's lawyer feels stupid right about now.

March 4, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  8. Amy in Iowa

When will the Clinton campaign learn the basics? Winners never cheat, and cheaters never win.

March 4, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  9. VOTE FOR GOODNESS AND HONESTY

Tell Hillary to stop threatening to sue everytime something
    doesn't go her way. Let's look into Hillary's whole past,
    who she was/is friends with and report it on these pages.
    Any page will do. She is a dirty politician.

OBAMA 2008

March 4, 2008 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  10. Robin

Yep, once again the Clinton's dirty tricks/negative campaign has proven profitable for a Clinton. If the Demogratic Party takes away my opportunity to vote "FOR" a candidate for the first time, by the SuperDelegates choosing her over Obama I will vote for the other guy. I am SICK, SICK, SICK of the Bush and Clinton whitehouse. If you remember, the country had to put up with months of Bill Clinton's impeachment process instead of taking care of business for the AMERICAN PEOPLE!

March 4, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  11. Jed in Texas

Why do you think they call it "Texas Holdem"? Its all in the shuffle.lol

March 4, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  12. Peter

I think the Canadian NAFTA issue hurt Obama in Ohio. I am a Obama Supporter and I was disappointed about the Canadian issue. I definitely believe Obama wasn't involved in any of the statements his adviser made to the Canadians. I was expecting him to FIRE the advisor and rebuild the confidence I had on Obama. But that didn't happen. I live in PA and I will still vote for Obama.

But make no mistake about it. This democrat WILL NOT vote for Hillary ever! If she is the nominee by any chance, my vote is for either McCain or Nader.

March 4, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  13. Shannon in Galesburg, IL

What, specifically, are the alleged irregularities?

March 4, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  14. the108

This is a sad night for Democracy. Our people have learned a very solemn lesson tonight. When policies and issues are pushed aside and replaced with negativity, campaigns can be won. It devastates me to know that Obama had every opportunity to contradict her smears and chose to take the high road in an attempt to bring integrity to politics. Now Mrs. Clinton is aware of what it will take to win: lies and negative, false attacks, leaks to media and propaganda. As I sit here listening to her give a speech that sounds eeerily as though she has just accepted her party's nomination all the while sprinkling it with bursts of "YES WE WILL"... it has made me come to a decision that I truly didn't think I would come to.

If she wins, I'll take my chances with McCain for four years and pray she has destroyed her own political career by then.

What a horribly sad day.

Kyra in WA

March 4, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  15. hillary 08:

TEXAS CLINTON VOTERS ROCK!!!!!

pennsylvania is ready to vote for HILLARY!

March 4, 2008 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  16. CP

I'm not sure what would be worse, 8 more years of war with McCain or 8 more years of Bill's indiscretions.

March 4, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  17. Erick Sims

I notice that no news is talking about all the conservative radio talk shows telling republicans to vote for Hillary to help her win the vote. This is specially to you Schneider. You people play with humans and act as if. You are why we are in a resession and got bombed and we deserve more if we dont change and quit putting stupid people in the united states house.

March 4, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  18. hillary 08:

whahhhh whahhhh, cry cry obama fans!

March 4, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  19. Santayana2008

Amy in Iowa...GET OVER IT!! You lost tonight....be a big girl and go to bed..quit whining.

March 4, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  20. John

Typical Clinton....when we dont win the system is broken...Ahead in the polls for over a year by plus 20 points and winning by what looks like 10 pts....losing 13 of 15 states and claiming a momentum swing. These are the things that the Clintons bring to the table....lies....spin...devisiveness...This is what makes me sick about politics and turns me and other voters off to the process

March 4, 2008 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  21. Veroica Johnson

If Hillary Clinton wins the Democratic Primary, I am everyone I can convience will not vote in the major election, I'd rather vote for McClain than to see her win the Presidency, she is no better than the Republicians with the lies and deceit, so they may as well stay in the White House, besides, McClain knows more about the security of the US than she will ever learn.

March 4, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  22. Kyle

Why is Hillary Behaving like a baby according to the cnn analyst dispite if Clinton takes every other state she wont beat Obama. Obama his vision all Hillary has is a Former President Clinton's last name. Her tactics are washed-up and useless and its time to give up.

March 4, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  23. chris

The process in Texas is archaic. Both Obama and Clinton supporters were leaving the precinct office after signing into the caucus. They were told they could leave after signing in, but were not informed very clearly of what would occur after the count of the caucus.

In the case of Clinton, there were people leaving after signing in, and the results rendered her 16 delegates, which means she has 16 delegates AND 16 alternatives. Though over a hundred people turned out for her, there were exactly 32 people still in the room. Had any more of them left, there would have been a deficient count of alternatives.

People do not understand the process. In waiting between my afternoon vote and the evening caucus, we drove around the district to do various errands, and asked, "did you vote"? So many said yes they had voted, but couldn't caucus.

When the system is stacked against voters it isn't serving them.

And those who wish to respond that Clinton's camp is crying fowl, need to consider that it would be the same if Obama was unable to seat all the delegates he won because his followers weren't informed.

Texas is a dinosaur in politics and must be upgraded.

March 4, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  24. Angie

What is with the confetti? Seriously Hillary....confetti?

March 4, 2008 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |