March 4th, 2008

Texas Democrats report complaints over caucuses

(CNN) - Following a Clinton campaign call alleging irregularities in the Texas Democratic caucuses, a state party representative told CNN that voters had been registering similar complaints with the party Tuesday evening.

“It is important to understand when you see a turnout in these numbers you are going to witness some problems, and the Texas Democratic Party has taken all the steps it can to make sure the process is run as smoothly as possible,” said Hector Nieto, the state party’s communications director. “We understand that there are voters across the state that have concerns, and we urge them to contact the call center.”

Nieto said the Texas Democratic Party had established a call center with 200 phone lines that was staffed by lawyers to “address any concerns.”

Nieto was unable to provide a time when the results of the caucuses would be made public. At stake in Tuesday evening’s party-run caucuses were 67 delegates. Earlier in the day, 126 delegates were on the line in the state-run primary.

– CNN's Mark Preston and Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Texas
  1. John Stevens

The caucus process is an undemocratic process IMHO – and very dated.

March 4, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  2. Sara

I voted for Hillary but will vote for McCain in Nov.

Tricky aren't we.

March 4, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  3. Caron Speas

You think the Texas caucuses are having trouble? Consider my state of Florida. I have been totally disenfranchised by a party calling itself "democratic!" I am a Hillary Clinton supporter whose vote won't even count. If that isn't undemocratic, nothing is. I am outraged beyond words. I am even considering a protest vote for McCain if Obama is the democratic candidate.

March 4, 2008 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm |
  4. Jon Cruz

CNN always reports when there is a boo or a tear or anything from the Clinton camp. Will you report the audible boos that greeted Senator Clinton's name from the Obama crowd? How about doing that, CNN?

March 4, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  5. Sdt

Were lobbyist for Obama in the voting places - They were in Dallas.

March 4, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  6. SHARON

There was voter fraud in Ohio. I saw it. naturally, you won't post this concern.

March 4, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  7. Mike

Please turn down the polarizing pant suited harpy!

Obama 08!

March 4, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  8. observer...Florida

I sincerly hope Hillary will have a good nights sleep...And her concience will not bother her.She really played this one dirty.
    I pray this will not come back to haunt her.

OBAMA 08

March 4, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  9. ao

heh, after all it was not Hillary campaign which lied about the problems but Obama's lawyer. So much for his honesty ! Politics as usual at its best. There should be one NATIONAL Primary Day, no momentum for either etc. And this primary should be based on popular vote (as our actual elections too).

March 4, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  10. Mike

With this seemingly endless and divisive campaign, how about if the superdelegates hold off on voting for either candidate at the convention and then draft a Gore/Richardson ticket on the 2nd ballot?

March 4, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  11. SHARON

Caron–
    I feel the same after fraud in Ohio but I will vote the next Independent–Obama

March 4, 2008 11:42 pm at 11:42 pm |
  12. Hillary For Ohio NOT Obama!

Way to go HILLARY!!!!!!!!!! Won Rhode Island,Ohio and looks like Texas Too!!!!

March 4, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  13. alli2

This issue effects both candidates and who ever is complaining about it doesn't matter. It's a problem for all involved. Trashing one candidate over the other is a waste of time.

March 4, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  14. Disgusted TX Voter

We live in one of the most sophisticated countries in the world and it is so ridiculous that we have such an archaic voting process. I actually had to sign my name and presidential nominee on notebook paper. This system definitely needs to change. It is so unorganized that it leaves plenty of room for error. Now I understand how Bush got away with it in 2000.

March 4, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  15. Berkeley

OK, loosers, Keep on calling her names. Aren't you supposed to be bringing a new type of politics?

March 4, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  16. Cincinnati Voter

I voted for Hillary.As a Republican it was surreal.I switched sides for this day only.I,in no way,support the DEM platform,but wanted to do my part to keep the DEM party split in half for as long as possible and to watch more MILLIONS get spent from both candidates to fight it out with each other.
    I enjoyed the process this morning but needed a long hot shower afterward.Next primary,I'm back as a REP.Meantime,I'll vote for McCain in the general election.

ha Ha

March 4, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  17. Dan

OBAMA'S CAMPAIGN ALSO LOOKED AT SUING TEXAS OVER THIS SYSTEM PEOPLE! He decided to wait until he saw the results.

DON'T BLAME HILLARY, that would be hypocritical!

Don't forget Obama just sued Ohio because it wasn't going "his way," doesn't that make him a whiner and complainer?

And FYI, many democrats, both Obama and Clinton supporters, are complaining about Texas.

March 4, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  18. Another dem in California

Don't you find it strange that Obama is winning all the states that usually vote Republican and will vote Republican again in November. Hillary has won the Democrat States and the Swing States, which decided the 1999 election for Bush.

March 4, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  19. Amy in Iowa

Santy person, Hillary can NEVER win the general election. More people would vote against her than for her. I would prefer John McCain over a Clinton back in the White House anyday

March 4, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  20. Kimberly

So Hillary planted the story up in Canada, caused his lawyer to crash her campaign call, is behind Obama and lawsuits in Ohio and Texas, and made Obama remove his name from Michigan? Besides the point that he was on the Florida ballot and lost to her, it appears to me that this is a pretty powerful and influential woman. Way to go Hillary - it's a pleasure watching you sweep the floor with this overpolished used car salesman!

March 4, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  21. D.L.

Texas really messed this one up.
    However having said this..
    One thing we are learning is she is a fighter...
    Obama walks all over women ... Alice Palmer..
    Obama people are THUGS

March 4, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  22. Patty

I think we really need a president with a different last name this time.. BUSH, CLINTON , BUSH again and then another Clinton too? I don't think that's how it should be, it sounding like those are the only qualified americans to lead the country..
    I think american should give Obama a chance to lead america ,even though I'm suspecious that most of american are not read yet to accept a black president. But come on gringos! we're in 2008.

March 4, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  23. Josh

Obama supporters...CRY ME A RIVER!!! Hillary clearly has come out on top tonight...pulling a major upset for the Obama flock...yes, I called them a "flock," because they follow the latest trends and vote for whoever Joe or Sally is voting for.

HILLARY, CONGRATULATIONS ON WINNING OHIO AND RHODE ISLAND!!! WE HOPE AND PLAN ON YOU WINNING TEXAS AS WELL!!! Maybe after tonight, us Democrats can all UNITE with you and go to Pennsylvania and VOTE FOR YOU!!!

HILLS '08!

March 4, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  24. over you

Amy in Iowa ... you are literally in every thread I've seen and are here every day that I come to read the posts. I am really getting sick of your constant hateful vile toward Hillary Clinton. Don't you ever get sick of yourself? I'm sure that there must be something you can take for your anger and depression because it does not serve Obama well that you are representing him.

March 4, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  25. Henry

Go Hillary!!! You go girl! The "Come-back Gal!"

March 4, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |