March 5th, 2008

Bush says he wants McCain to win presidency

President Bush greets Sen. John McCain and his wife, Cindy, at the White House on Wednesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Bush endorsed Sen. John McCain for president on Wednesday, saying the presumptive Republican nominee has the "character, courage and perseverance" to lead the country.

McCain thanked the president for his support and the work he has done in the Oval Office.

"I appreciate his endorsement, and I appreciate his service to our country," said McCain, adding that he wanted Bush at his side as much as possible on the campaign trail.

Full story

Filed under: John McCain • President Bush
  1. Wayne, Greenville TX

And I want George W. Bush to just shut his piehole. Hasn't he caused enough damage to this country?????

March 5, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  2. Republican to Democratic

If I knew this yesterday I would have voted for Hillary or that Obama guy. November I will not vote McCain.

March 5, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  3. Monk

Congratulations Senator McCain, on winning the coveted George W Bush Presidential Candidate "endorsement". This is pure stupidity on so many levels. First of all, Bush could care less who's president once he skates off from his disaster. More importantly, NO ONE CARES who Bush wants to be president. I can't imagine a single person who was not already going to vote for McCain changing their mind because Bush called him a man of character. That's ridiculous. At BEST, this won't benefit McCain.

March 5, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  4. John Huynh

Who woulda thunk it.

March 5, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  5. Hispano

Democrats your ignorance and disrespect shows in your comments. You deserve the two losers chasing after what has eluded you for years. Clinton (Bill) was a fluke of History and a disgrace to the Oval office. Bush is a decent man that despite his short comings has kept the Islamic radicals from attacking within our borders. That is why you will lose again in November. Start by respecting your President and then maybe those of us who left the party will consider coming back.
    Respect and honor your country too.

March 5, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  6. Peter

McCain is the only man left in the campaign.

March 5, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  7. Concerned Citizen

I am truly concerned after seeing this photo op that any concerned democratic citizen in the right mind would actually consider voting for John McCain? Are you people serious? When I think of gas rising to $4.00 a gallon, not to mention all your children coming back (if they ever come back) from Iraq being mained, killed and totally disfigured, I have to ask myself: How could any democrat in their right mind even contemplate voting the the likes of a John McCain or for that matter any other Republican. Stay true to the party and kick the Republicans and their lust for power, greed and the good old boy system to the curb. The thought of Jeb Bush being a VP makes me ILL. Wake Up America.

March 5, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  8. Dylan

What do Bush and Hillary Clinton have in common?

Apprently both want McCain to be President more than Barack Obama. After her official endorsement of him over Obama on Monday, it is clear that this woman will stop at absolutely nothing to be President, even it it tears her own party apart in the process.

The Republicans are salivating at the notion of getting to face Hillary in the GE. Rush Limbaugh said today that "Hillary is much more beatable than Obama" and that he is proud that he "helped prolong the Democrat blood-letting".

Hillary may have won Ohio and Texas (barely) yesterday... but more than anything it was a victory for the Republican Party.

March 5, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  9. Grif

Who's left?????

North America is not for SALE. To anyone. Unless you believe the: USA. Comes. First – Second – Last!!!!!!!!!!!

March 5, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  10. Shawn - Ga

First let me say I am not taking sides on this years election on these comments, I myself am still undecided.

I can't for the life of me understand why people are making a big deal of this. Those who say "I will never vote for McCain due to this endorsement" make me laugh very hard. Why on earth would an endorsement make you not vote for someone. McCain didn't say "thanks George I will be just like you now that you have endorsed me" LOL

On a side note, I am sure that history will paint the true picture of the good that this president has done that we are not at this moment aware of. Approval rating means nothing, I am glad that he does what is needed and not what the press, and Hollywood claim should have been done.

Lastly, blaming Bush solely for how bad the economy is now is no better than saying it was Clinton who made the 90s prosperous. When anyone who can think on his or her own knows it was the tech boom. (Dot COM boom)

March 5, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  11. A REAL American

You just gotta love all the Bush-hatin' and Republican-bashin' bleeding heart liberals on this article! I know the real reason for all the rage– FEAR! You idiots are afraid because you know deep down that McCain has ten times more government experience than Obama and Hillary combined... oh yeah, Bush may have a 30% approval rating, but it looks great compared to the Democrats in Congress, who have managed to accomplished zero! I can't wait for the general election–by the time Democrats have a nominee, their candidate will have already been pulverized and torn apart by his/her own party member, and McCain will easily expose him/her for being phony.

March 5, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  12. Lamps

John McCain is the best out there. He is the clear choice to be President.

March 5, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  13. Kim Lee

McCain is a weak candidate but Hillary's nasty negative smear tactics may hand the old man the Presidency. When Americans see Clinton tactics like showing Obama in Arab clothes and photos of Obama with his skin darkened, also trumping up charges that Obama was sneaking around with Canada on NAFTA just hours before the vote with no time for the rumor to be proved false. This is just the same ol Clinton treachery that we have put up with for sixteen years, only now Hillary is willing to destroy the Democrat Party just to satisfy her thirst for power.

March 5, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  14. K.Celina from IL!!!!

At the Clinton's presidential time in the White house, USA was doing just fine. Don't You All remember ???? Economy was O.K.. people living was O.K. Quiet more then ever until Bush come !!!!
    Then now McCain united with Busch !!!!!!
    NO !!!!!! TO !!!!! McCain !!!!!!!!!!!!
    HILLARY !!!!! WE NEED THE AMERICAN GRIL TO LEAD THE COUNTRY !!!!!!!!!!!!

March 5, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  15. david

BAAHAHAHAHA...I BET HE DOES...BAAHAHAHA.

March 5, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  16. santelmojack

He just got it out of the way, there wonm't be much of of the two of them together.

March 5, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  17. Ed K.

Some body take a picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 5, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  18. Fred Weber

Please, please, please Senator McCain. Please keep W. by your side at every event, every speech, every campaign stop. This way you can accomplish two things: You can keep him from screwing up this country even more (if that's possible) between now and January, and you can constantly remind the American public that if you are elected in November, it would just be a continuation of the colossal failures of the Bush Administration. So, please, keep W. close to you at all times and do not let him out of your sight and keep those cameras rolling!!

March 5, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  19. bad idea

it is no surprised that bush would endorsed Mccain.No matter what they are still a Republican party and thus every Republicans would stand up for their nominee.This story shows me how noble and integrity John and Cindy Mccain are.After the bad politics they faced in 2000,they did not bring the party apart and John shows his support for Bush reelection and the party after what Bush campaign did to Mccain.It takes a heart to do what Mccain do obiviously the democrats party cannot do.Their top nominee cant even run a clean campaign without pulling each other apart and so is their supporters.
    This election is not about Bush its about Mccain.Judge Mccain as what he did for and against Bush not on endorsement or endorsee.

March 5, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  20. Glen

The only way that the Republican can keep the White House is if Huckabee and McCain are on the ticket

March 5, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  21. Glen

I am black and I will not vote for Obama

Obama is a LIAR

This Guy is a liar ( He told the Canadian Government that he is O.K with NAFTA ; behind close door he is saying NAFTA IS O.K and in public he is saying he will negoiate NAFTA )

HE IS A LIAR !!!! OBAMA IS A LIAR !!!

IS THIS CHANGE ?

OR

IS IT YES WE CAN LIE ?

YES WE CAN LIE !!!

YES WE CAN LIE !!!

March 5, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  22. John

At one time, I would of been ok with McCain being President. He would of never been my first choice, but he would of been ok.

But over the last year, McCain has become nothing but a CLONE OF BUSH.

NO McCAIN!!!

March 5, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  23. Randy - Denver

Yeah but who cares? We all know bush is Republicans first and the country second. I am sure this will help sway those "Ditto-Heades" out there who were not sure that Mr. McCain was far enough to the right, but for most thinking Americans it does not matter what the idiot bush says.

March 5, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  24. Christian, Tampa FL

Well, Russia picked Putin's chosen successor. Do we really want to be like the Russians?

March 5, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  25. sairefgm

No one cares what the Beasts want anymore. Time up!

March 5, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |