March 5th, 2008

Clinton: This may be headed to a joint ticket

Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.
Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.

(CNN) – The morning after primary wins in Ohio, Texas, and Rhode Island, Hillary Clinton said she would consider being part of a Democratic “dream ticket” that would include both her and presidential rival Barack Obama.

"That may be where this is headed,” she told the CBS Early Show during a marathon set of appearances on the network morning news shows. “But of course we have to decide who is on the top of ticket. I think the people of Ohio very clearly said that it should be me."

The New York senator has made the claim before. Last month, in one of several interviews where she said the scenario was a possibility, she told a Vibe interviewer: “Of course there is (a chance of a joint ticket). Of course there is. Now neither of us will answer this question because we don’t want to look presumptuous and premature. But it is more than fair to say that — of course there is.”

While Clinton has said a joint ticket is possible, the Obama team has largely avoided making similar statements. Some of the Illinois senator’s campaign surrogates have said they believe the claims benefit Clinton because they may convince Democratic voters drawn to the Illinois senator that a vote for her is essentially a vote for both of them - or a vote for him to head the ballot in eight years, after she has had her two terms on top of the ticket.

Primary season rivals who have successfully shared a presidential ticket after tough nominating fights include Democrats John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson, and Republicans Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. Janet

GO HILLARY! WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO CALLING YOU MADAM PRESIDENT.

March 5, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  2. Mike

I like both candidates but I would only consider a joint ticket if Obama were in the top slot.

March 5, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  3. Greg, NY

"I think the people of Ohio very clearly said that it should be me."

Ummm... yeah and the people of the last 12 states very clearly said that it should be Obama. Way to discount them!

March 5, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  4. vl

I truly believe this is the only way dems can win back the White House. Clinton Pres, Obama VP.

March 5, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  5. PDC

Make it so.

March 5, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  6. Amy in Iowa

There is no way Hillary is going to win the nomination. I don't see Obama accepting VP. He does not need her as his VP. So don't even try it.

March 5, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  7. Joe

Hillary Clinton for President !
    Obama for Vice-President!

A ticket I would endorse. experience over inspiration !

March 5, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  8. Jen

they bicker and smear each other but yet can work together under a joint ticket? I dont think so! Obama and Edwards is the dream ticket. I dont like Clintons tatics, she will mess something up then blame it on Obama like she does everyone else.

March 5, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  9. Dawn

NOOOOOO!!! Hilary haven't you seen The Manchurian Candidate? No Obama anywhere near the white house!!!

McCain 08

March 5, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  10. YOU NEED TO KNOW

I used to feel that even if Hillary won the Dem nomination I would vote for her in the General. But after seeing how low her campaign will go, how low she will go on a personal level in being dishonest and lifting up the Republican candidate over her Democratic opponent, I think it's shameful. She's was losing this race when she tried to run it on the up and up, but now she's gone negative and will go again, in her MEANS justifies the ENDS mentality.

I CANNOT IN ALL GOOD CONSCIENCE VOTE FOR HILLARY….I WILL EITHER VOTE DIRECTLY FOR MCCAIN OR INDIRECTLY BY NOT VOTING AT ALL. I'M LEANING MORE TOWARD THE LATTER.

March 5, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  11. Erin

After the negative ads against him, how could she even consider that he would accept her offer. She hasn't won yet. In fact, her tactics have pretty much played right into the Republican strategy. Why to go Ohio, Texas and Rhode Island – you just gave McCain a huge boost. She cannot beat him and she has so much scandal in her past that they will have a field day if she is the nominee. I am so ashamed to be a Democrat today.

March 5, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  12. TheLeftNut

Yeah Baby!

Just what I was hoping for.

Clinton/Obama

Obama/Clinton

I'll take it EITHER WAY!!!!

March 5, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  13. Obamista NYC

If Obama doesn't get on that ticket, I'm not voting!

March 5, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  14. Mike

I think Obama should become VP and they will dominate... It will end all of the talk about his lack of experience... "Together" they can carry the big states and split the young vote with McCain!!! If they do a great job the next 16 years could be controlled by the democrats!!!

March 5, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  15. Dan - Milwaukee

We will let the superdelegates decide who should be on top of the "dream ticket," now won't we? Let's not get a [big] head of ourselves Hillary.

March 5, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  16. Goon

if Barack had won Texas and Ohio, I dont think it was a chance at all it would happen.

But now I think it has to happen – the party is too torn apart – Barack has EARNED the top spot on the ticket, still leading significantly in delegates, popular vote, and states. Hillary is going to have to get over her own ego and play second fiddle after he wins Wyoming and Mississippi.

March 5, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  17. Sam

The only dream ticket for Hillary is in her dreams. I would never vote to put the Clintons back in the White House. That is not change.

March 5, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  18. Duke

The worse thing Obama can do is be the VP. He will get burned like
    ALGore from the Clinton's.

Obama/Clinton yes

March 5, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  19. 4Real

I will not like to see that kind of ticket because who will benefit from it Hillary of course and not Obama. Let's see if she can win it without the split ticket.

March 5, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  20. alagbon

Sure why not, with Obama as head.

March 5, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  21. Jamie

Ugh

March 5, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  22. Tom(Philadelphia)

After her smear campaigning I wouldn't vote for her if she was anywhere on the ticket. I think this woman embodies everything I dislike about politics, tearing your opponent down. I will not vote Hillary on the top bottom, left, right, or right smack in the middle of any ticket.

Independent Voter 2008. ... .if Hillary is on the ticket

March 5, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  23. E Popp

Hillary, get John Edwards on your ticket, and announce it before the next primaries. Shake it up!

March 5, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  24. Minnesota Rayferd

YES! The revival of the Dream Ticket! We can't loose with a Clinton-Obama ticket! Stop the madness and fighting, team up, and win this election for the People.

GO HILLARY! :o)

March 5, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  25. anon

They are both too big egos. There's no way Clinton will play 2nd fiddle, and no way Obama wants someone stealing the spotlight or vice versa.

Never happen.