March 5th, 2008

Clinton: This may be headed to a joint ticket

Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.
Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.

(CNN) – The morning after primary wins in Ohio, Texas, and Rhode Island, Hillary Clinton said she would consider being part of a Democratic “dream ticket” that would include both her and presidential rival Barack Obama.

"That may be where this is headed,” she told the CBS Early Show during a marathon set of appearances on the network morning news shows. “But of course we have to decide who is on the top of ticket. I think the people of Ohio very clearly said that it should be me."

The New York senator has made the claim before. Last month, in one of several interviews where she said the scenario was a possibility, she told a Vibe interviewer: “Of course there is (a chance of a joint ticket). Of course there is. Now neither of us will answer this question because we don’t want to look presumptuous and premature. But it is more than fair to say that — of course there is.”

While Clinton has said a joint ticket is possible, the Obama team has largely avoided making similar statements. Some of the Illinois senator’s campaign surrogates have said they believe the claims benefit Clinton because they may convince Democratic voters drawn to the Illinois senator that a vote for her is essentially a vote for both of them - or a vote for him to head the ballot in eight years, after she has had her two terms on top of the ticket.

Primary season rivals who have successfully shared a presidential ticket after tough nominating fights include Democrats John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson, and Republicans Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. Only "dream ticket" with Hillary for Pres!

When this whole thing started, I thought, WOW, I like Obama well enough to see him as vice president. However, recently he's become so much "warmed over" soup yet so arrogant, that I'm not sure any longer. Still, it's an interesting concept - HOWEVER - NO WAY Obama for president! But if he can learn how the real world works for 8 years, by watching an experienced pro named Hillary Clinton, he could actually place some "content" into his "dream" scenario in 8 years.

March 5, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  2. Dave, TX

I hope it doesn't play out. Obama doesn't need her and she doesn't need him. just keep fighting each other. it's a great and hilarious show!! I'm GOP but did the Rush thing and voted Hillary yesterday. they need to keep fighting!!!! bwahahahahaha

March 5, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  3. Jim

would have to agree...neither one is going to get enough delegates to officially win the nomination. A joint ticket might be the only way to reunite the democratic party.

March 5, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  4. Sam C

This Hillary is a Ruthless, CutThroat Nut Job! No way I ever vote for her or anyone like her trying to Divide the Party!

March 5, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  5. Erik, IA

Well, I'm not from Ohio and they don't decide for everyone who should be the Democratic nominee. I'm from Iowa where Obama won and last I checked, Hilary is still trailing...

March 5, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  6. Lets Get Ready for Change!

WOW! This would be interesting. If this is the case, then maybe both camps will have to calm down on the bitter/ back & forth mud slinging, name calling, etc...

March 5, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  7. ginia

Hillary lost my vote. I will not vote for that joint ticket either.

March 5, 2008 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  8. stephen

they are polar opposites, he needs someone who stands on the same place on the issues as he does from the beginning. she is a flip-flopper and would get eaten alive by the republicans.

March 5, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  9. Dick Pittenger

I am so disgusted this morning, I can't stand it. People always criticize the mudslinger, and then turn around and vote for the one slinging the mud. Hillary has proven once again that she will do and say anything to get the nomination. She knows very well that her criticisms of Obama don't hold water. Whatever happened to "I'm just so honored to be sitting on this stage with Barack Obama."?
    So she won the big states. Would you really try to convince me that the citizens of NY, CA, OH, TX, etc, in a choice between Obama and McCain would not vote for the young and dynamic Obama?
    No one but an idiot would vote for a continuation of the Bush policies that McCain represents. Although Hillary has so positioned herself that she may have poisoned her followers into following no one but her. In her mind, the only way to unify the Democratic Party is to place her on the top of the ticket, with Obama as VP. Otherwise, she has no interest in unifying the party.

March 5, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  10. A True Democrat

And it would guarantee a Democratic win in the national. So fellow Democrats, can we rally together and face the common enemy or must the infighting continue? It looks like Sanator Clinton is on boeard...so how about Senator Obama?

March 5, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  11. Jasmyne

Dream on Hillary. She won TX and OH and I commend her but the point is she didn't win big enough. She still lags behing in the popular vote and in the delegate count and the polls show her lagging by almost 20 points in PA. It is going to be impossible for her to clinch the nomination unless the DNC decideds that true democracy isn't good enough for them anymore and steal this primary just like Bush stole it in 2000. Hillary Clinton will not be the next president of the USA and Barack would not even think of letting her get close to being on his ticket and she knows this. Her best bet is to drop out (or she can even fight to the end if she wants but it wont matter)and try to go for Senate Majority Leader.

March 5, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  12. Jay

I don't think that there is any way that a joint ticket will happen. The tone of the race in the democratic party changed significantly this week. The message that Senator Clinton put out in the last days before the March 4th primary focused not on her policies but played upon negatives previously brought up about Obama. This is going to engender ill-will between the Obama and Clinton Camps. I expect Clinton to continue to go negative based on the fact that over 20% of late deciders responded to it and voted for her. The question is whether Obama decides to fight back or continue to take it. The bad news is that the big loser here is the democratic party, only 4/10 respondents last night indicated they would be happy with either democratic candidate. I can no longer envision any scenario where a brokered convention does not occur. The nuclear scenario of having to deal with Florida and Michigan is now very likely to come up.

March 5, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  13. Wayne, Greenville TX

This might be the best possible outcome of the primary battle. There really isn't much policy difference between them – in fact, their health care proposals are almost identical, with only a few differences. And it might give all Democratic subgroups a candidate to support.

Speaking for myself, I could support either a Cliinton/Obama or an Obama/Clinton ticket. But I'd prefer having Obama head the ticket.

March 5, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  14. ok

after all the bashing? she wants a dream ticket?

March 5, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  15. Sally

If this miracle would happen it would be the best thing to happen to the Democrats in decades!

Think of the miliions and millions of dollars the Democrats would save on contentious campaigns and it end the bitter in-fighting and was ensure great respect and support for both Hillary and Barack.
    What a historic pres. election it would be!

March 5, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  16. caroline rose

For Obama to go on a ticket with Clinton would be political suicide. She would make sure he was incapacitated...that he would not be able to run against her in a second term. This is a political animal, not a leader. If she were elected it would be more of the same in Washington. If this is the way she conducts herself, this would not be a safer country.

Where ARE her tax returns? There is corporate work behind the scenes.

I am amazed that there was very little attempt on the part of this news team to reveal the false accusations Clinton threw in the minutes before the primary. Check out the Canadian news item on NAFTA on monday night. Canada is asking why their government is involving itself in a US election – could it be the oil deals with Bush?

March 5, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  17. Tre

This is insane, Clinton can say what she wants, but Barack will not to take second chair to someone he can beat. Plus his VP will be republican, which will deaden republican attacks in November.

March 5, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  18. Tiffany

Now this is something I would support. Personally, I could care less who is on the top ticket. But it would almost ensure a Democrat would be next in office and that's ALL I care about!

March 5, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  19. John

I don't think so. I'm getting tired of seeing the Clintons. They make me sick

March 5, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  20. Darth Vadik, CA

I don't think so,
    Obama would never chose her as a VP

March 5, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  21. DRHunk

Hillary/Obama,

That is the only way Obama will see my vote

March 5, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  22. erao

I think women are better at looking at several aspects of an issue and are uncelebrated leaders as mothers, wives and employees. It was time that some one paid attention. They have a big economic clout and if they stopped consuming the economy would come to a halt. I am happy Hillary won – all the other wins for Obama were protest votes and folks who do not go in for details. The President of a country cannot make radical changes that Obama is promising.

March 5, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  23. sharon

I'm crying over here.

March 5, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  24. Ware L

It's 3:00 a.m. and the phone rings.....Hillary starts crying and then
    she says why do I have to get the first phone call everytime there's a
    crisis?

March 5, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  25. lagosboy

Not a chance in hell, she is up to her old tricks! The Obama team will not play that game, but nice try Hillary. Smart move!

March 5, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |