March 5th, 2008

Clinton: This may be headed to a joint ticket

Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.
Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.

(CNN) – The morning after primary wins in Ohio, Texas, and Rhode Island, Hillary Clinton said she would consider being part of a Democratic “dream ticket” that would include both her and presidential rival Barack Obama.

"That may be where this is headed,” she told the CBS Early Show during a marathon set of appearances on the network morning news shows. “But of course we have to decide who is on the top of ticket. I think the people of Ohio very clearly said that it should be me."

The New York senator has made the claim before. Last month, in one of several interviews where she said the scenario was a possibility, she told a Vibe interviewer: “Of course there is (a chance of a joint ticket). Of course there is. Now neither of us will answer this question because we don’t want to look presumptuous and premature. But it is more than fair to say that — of course there is.”

While Clinton has said a joint ticket is possible, the Obama team has largely avoided making similar statements. Some of the Illinois senator’s campaign surrogates have said they believe the claims benefit Clinton because they may convince Democratic voters drawn to the Illinois senator that a vote for her is essentially a vote for both of them - or a vote for him to head the ballot in eight years, after she has had her two terms on top of the ticket.

Primary season rivals who have successfully shared a presidential ticket after tough nominating fights include Democrats John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson, and Republicans Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. Ed K.

Obama really doesn't have the experience for a VP but if this will bring the party together then we must do what we must do. I would like to see a Clinton / Richardson ticket but what can you do. If Obama gets the nod I will not Vote and I will become an independent but I will not vote for McCain.

March 5, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  2. Rob

She's right! Obama / Clinton 08

I'm with you Hillary!

March 5, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  3. Kim, PA

HILLtop's in Pennsylvania!

We're ready to vote her in!!!!!!!!

March 5, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  4. AJ

NO, NO, NO, NO – I am a Hillary supporter but would never vote for ANY ticket that included Obama. At least if he wins, she can go back to the Senate and block the stupid moves he is sure to make! If Obama appears on the democratic ticket, I am voting republican for the first time in 30 years.

March 5, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  5. Jags,TX

Welcome to the Main Event!! LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE!! The dems are duking it out as the republicans set everything up and get ready. Will the democrats hate each other so much that by that time most will have filtered to independant? It sure looks like it!

March 5, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  6. angelina

Obama is a very decent and respectable guy.He is trying to change the tone in Washinton.

March 5, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  7. erao

Where are the talking heads?

March 5, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  8. Jim in CT

I think most voters would be elated to have a Clinton/Obama ticket so Senator Obama would have the necessary experience to be president in 8 years! Definitely my dream team to solve our problems and get us headed in the right direction for the next 2 decades!

March 5, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  9. Darren, ATL

she's like that turd that won't go down when you flush.

March 5, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  10. Outsider looking in

O.K., I can not vote for Hillary Clinton for President. I don't think I could do it even if she made Obama her VP. I also do not think I could vote for Obama if it means that Hillary is the VP. As an Independant, I like McCain and I like Obama, but if Hillary Clinton is on the ticket in any way – you can count me out.

McCain or Obama 08

March 5, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  11. Ted

Hillary of President. . . Barack for VP?

Talk about a "win – win".

March 5, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  12. Gary Gagne

Hillary is behind in delegates and she claiming victory? She wants to head the Democratic ticket ? There is no end to her ambition!

March 5, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  13. HILL-top's in Reading PA

HILLtop's in Pennsylvania!

We're ready to vote her in!!!!!!!!

March 5, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  14. Smiling in OH

What a shock it will be for Hillary in November when all those cross-over Republican voters turn around and vote for McCain! I should know; I was one of them. Hillary's victories on Tuesday were a "fairytale".

March 5, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  15. hkitty

Make it Clinton/Obama and the Dems secure the WH for almost 2 decades easily. This gives O a chance to get some experience on the national and international scene. She doesn't gain anything from being VP, only he does. Still, there are some things that still need to be figured out about him, which is why there is some hesitancy by Clinton. It's not just talk on her part that he has not been vetted, he hasn't and I would want that done before I put that person on the ticket with me.

March 5, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  16. di

if its a joint ticket obama should be at the top... if not it,ll be a third bill clinton administration. i,ve never seen a woman as power hungry as hilary rodham. i personally feel she prefers a republican to a succesful obama administration

March 5, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  17. Edwin Portland

Barack has won the delgate count in 25 states to Hillary's 14. He has also garnered over 1 million more total popular votes. Why is Hillary still around?

March 5, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  18. Wayne

True but the people of 23 other states say they want Obama on the top of the ticket.

March 5, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  19. Denise

Why does cnn have a picture with Obama standing out more? Can't you bean brains get a picture of Obama and Hillary sitting down?

March 5, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  20. Kay Saneholtz

Has anyone checked out the number of Republicans that switched party affiliation just to vote for Clinton, their preferred Democratic candidate, since she is so despised by their party? There was a big push on talk radio (Limbaugh) to get Republicans to "Vote for Hillary".

March 5, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  21. Debby Tulsa OK.

PLEASE TELL ME IT ISN'T SO HILLARY! He comes with to much dirt....I say no to Hillary/ Obama ticket.........

March 5, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  22. AY

It looks good and it makes it easier for them to defeat the republicans.

March 5, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  23. Kim, PA

HILL-tops in Pennsylvania!

WE are ready to vote her in!

Reading Pa!

March 5, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  24. Kelly

Hillary Clinton has now reached stage three of grief, bargaining

/Up next, depression and acceptance

March 5, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  25. Larry from LA

Clinton has such an ego. She won a few states and very few delegates and already sees herself as President. She now offers Obama the VP after ripping him a part only becuase he will get her the black and young vote. You have to love politics.

March 5, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |