March 5th, 2008

Clinton: This may be headed to a joint ticket

Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.
Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.

(CNN) – The morning after primary wins in Ohio, Texas, and Rhode Island, Hillary Clinton said she would consider being part of a Democratic “dream ticket” that would include both her and presidential rival Barack Obama.

"That may be where this is headed,” she told the CBS Early Show during a marathon set of appearances on the network morning news shows. “But of course we have to decide who is on the top of ticket. I think the people of Ohio very clearly said that it should be me."

The New York senator has made the claim before. Last month, in one of several interviews where she said the scenario was a possibility, she told a Vibe interviewer: “Of course there is (a chance of a joint ticket). Of course there is. Now neither of us will answer this question because we don’t want to look presumptuous and premature. But it is more than fair to say that — of course there is.”

While Clinton has said a joint ticket is possible, the Obama team has largely avoided making similar statements. Some of the Illinois senator’s campaign surrogates have said they believe the claims benefit Clinton because they may convince Democratic voters drawn to the Illinois senator that a vote for her is essentially a vote for both of them - or a vote for him to head the ballot in eight years, after she has had her two terms on top of the ticket.

Primary season rivals who have successfully shared a presidential ticket after tough nominating fights include Democrats John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson, and Republicans Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. Julie

Hillary is really good at winning big states, he's really good at winning the small ones. If they were on the same ticket, there would be no stopping them in the fall. They won't just win, it would be a landslide.

March 5, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  2. Dream Ticket Takes America by Storm

It would make really, really good sense for Clinton and Obama to align. The two balance one another out and could do great things for this country. If Obama serves as VP for 8 years, there would be no contest when he seeks office as President. Obama just needs more experience. This will come with exposure and opportunity in the appropriate position.

I think these two candidates should just shake hands, join forces, and do what most Americans want - and that is to partner and take us places we never dreamed imaginable.

March 5, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  3. Dave Froyalde/Washington

I will call it a dream team if Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama finally agree to this kind of arrangement with Hillary on top. This ticket will surely win back the White House for the democratic party. At the same time, it will give Senator Obama the needed experience he needs to be the next standard bearer of the party in the in the year 2016 presidential elections. I hope the so called elders of the democratic party will look into this kind of scenario.

March 5, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  4. Sabine

He should NOT be on teh same ticket that she is. If she steals this nomination away from him and she extends an invitation for VP he shoudl flatly REFUSE! She is not a leader that he shoudl follow. The ticket wouldnt be good if it were reversed either. She has proven herself to be a very mean spirited woman who is out for herself and not for teh Democratic party or for the American people. If he should come out of he underhanded campaigning alive (which I hope he does) I would rather see him add John Edwards on his ticket. They have botth proven themselves to be gentlemen and still stand firm on what they believe in. She has only proven herself to be a bully.

Obama 2008!

March 5, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  5. TC in Ohio

I could support the dream ticket, but I want Obama for president and Hillary for vice president.

March 5, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  6. Drew

Last time I checked this was a election for United States of America not States that vote Democratic in November election, Obama still has a 10 state lead over Hillary.

March 5, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  7. Houston Texas

Obama/Clinton/Clinton. A nightmare ticket for gridlock within the White House itself.

March 5, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  8. Reality check #1

She's back! Don't ever count this woman out. She has had to fight for years, she is showing that she is a fighter! Who do I want in the White House? This tough little woman, Hillary.

March 5, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  9. proud american

The ticket should be two people who opposed the Iraq war from the beginning.

Consistency is key.

March 5, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  10. Observer

Is Hillary willing to sink her own party just to be the nominee? Is her endless power quest too polarizing?

March 5, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  11. Debra

This makes more sense than picking an unknown. I think that it would bring the Democratic party back together again and insure a win against McCain. Also, McCain can't fight the same against them both. They would strengthen each other. I wonder why Obama's camp has not proposed the same.

March 5, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  12. Maryland

This is the way it should be. This will end the fighting among democrats. I am a Obama supporter and I think the ticket should be Clinton/Obama. Obama can be Hillary's conscience and still do a lot of good as V.P. "TOGETHER" The can accomplish so much.

March 5, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  13. Keith

Please NOT – I am voting for Clinton. I do not like or trust Obama. Bill Richardson or Joe Lieberman would be a good VP!

March 5, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  14. john

Ok, so let me get me this straight:

If Clinton wins (or steals) the nomination, then she will pick a VP candidate that she has already implied is not ready to be commander in chief? Somehow I don't think this ticket could survive a general election.

March 5, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  15. lu

The democrats need to consider this one very carefully. If I were John McCain, given all of the hype about the first potential White Female and or African American, I'd choose a VP to balance the table. I'd look at a African American female by the name Conda Lisa Rice.

March 5, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  16. r sisk, nevada

I would love to see "the dream ticket" and there would be no way the GOP could win. It's going to take a long while to get our nation back on track after the worst administration in history. Let's put Hillary on top this election, Barrack in eight years for two more terms. By then, things should be great and the nation will forget how bad things were and elect another GOP candidate who will screw everything up again. The cycle will continue.

March 5, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  17. Lynn in NM

If Obama gets the nomination, he would be sadly mistaken to put Hillary on the ticke. Between her and her husband, he would never be heard. The whining would go on for 4 years. This is one family that doesn't know when to be quiet.

March 5, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  18. peter

There is no way I will vote for Obama/Hillary ticket after all the worst dirty tricks that this woman did. Any woman but not Hillary!

March 5, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  19. andrew jones

Obama will have to be on top of the ticket or we will fight to finish!

this election is about delegate and Obama is in the lead.

Moving on to Mississippi and Wyoming!

YES WE CAN!

GO OBAMA!!!!

March 5, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  20. Chris

Thank You Ohio and Texas for making McCain our next president, by voting for Clinton.

March 5, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  21. willowood

Gee, I forgot that Ohio, whose economy is in the tank and who has been royally screwed by Bill Clinton's NAFTA has such leverage to determine the democratic ticket. Maybe it's time to change history and make sure Ohio does not dictate the democratic nominee. Senator Clinton, this day brings you three wins. As Dallas coach Tom Landry used to tell his cocky players..."when you score a touchdown, look like you have been there before." Good advice for you to learn.

March 5, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  22. IH

Finally!. The party is coming together. I want to thank Hillary for finally saying something that is not divisive. Regardless who wins the nomination, if these two can put their bickering and politcal mudlslinging behind them once the dust settles, this election is already in our pocket.

March 5, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  23. Sridhar Prasad

sharing the ticket with Obama will be a hisotic event for this country. But, the candidate on top should be the one who has secured more peldged delegates and popular votes. Ohio and Texas is not all of America, therefore, by having won in these two states should not qualify Hillary to be on top of the ticket.

It is logical and obvious based on peoples choice and voice the dream ticket should be Obama and Clinton.

March 5, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  24. DF

Hillary is a champion gladiator in the political arena. Barack would do well to be her second and learn the ropes for when it is HIS turn to lead...

March 5, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  25. Kevin (Jonesboro, GA)

The only way that I will vote for Hillary at this point s if she is part of the ticket with Barack. If she is the Democratic nominee without Barack and goes up against McCain, I would very seriously consider voting for McCain. I have grown so disgusted with Camp Clinton and their tactics to winning that I hate the very thought of actually voting for her!!! It would be akin to giving my stamp of approval for how she has conducted herself and her campaign...something that I most certainly do not approve of in any fashion!

March 5, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |