March 5th, 2008

Clinton: This may be headed to a joint ticket

Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.
Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.

(CNN) – The morning after primary wins in Ohio, Texas, and Rhode Island, Hillary Clinton said she would consider being part of a Democratic “dream ticket” that would include both her and presidential rival Barack Obama.

"That may be where this is headed,” she told the CBS Early Show during a marathon set of appearances on the network morning news shows. “But of course we have to decide who is on the top of ticket. I think the people of Ohio very clearly said that it should be me."

The New York senator has made the claim before. Last month, in one of several interviews where she said the scenario was a possibility, she told a Vibe interviewer: “Of course there is (a chance of a joint ticket). Of course there is. Now neither of us will answer this question because we don’t want to look presumptuous and premature. But it is more than fair to say that — of course there is.”

While Clinton has said a joint ticket is possible, the Obama team has largely avoided making similar statements. Some of the Illinois senator’s campaign surrogates have said they believe the claims benefit Clinton because they may convince Democratic voters drawn to the Illinois senator that a vote for her is essentially a vote for both of them - or a vote for him to head the ballot in eight years, after she has had her two terms on top of the ticket.

Primary season rivals who have successfully shared a presidential ticket after tough nominating fights include Democrats John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson, and Republicans Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. James

Pathetic. Now Hillary Clinton wants to circumvent the voting process and declare herself Queen of the Democrats. Hate to break it to you Hillary, but the decision on who is President is up to the voters. Right now, Obama is in the lead for the number of delegates and will be the nominee. At that point in time, he gets to pick his VP candidate and you offer nothing except negative attacks and the politics of sleaze.

Dream Ticket...lets be honest with what you are saying. Please make Obama my VP candidate because I can't beat him and I know I will lose the election.

In the end, Hillary is attempting to split the party, the country, all in her quest for absolute power. God help this nation if she steals the nomination.

March 5, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  2. dan

Question; What percentage of senator clintons wins in Ohio and Texas were registered Republican voters??????????

March 5, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  3. Jacob

This seemingly looks like the only option to get out of a deadlock within the democratic party.

Richardson has to fit in there somewhere too though.

March 5, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  4. lou

I would support this, providing that Clinton is the VP. But I dont think Obama would allow her to be VP as it would hurt this cause for wanting to change politics.

March 5, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  5. Tucker

You show the White,Latinos, Men ,Women voters for Clinton vs Obama.

Why don't you show the Black vote also??

March 5, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  6. biged55

absolutely not. Obama is the future. no Clintons needed.

March 5, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  7. voice from Boston

Just wait and see how the superdelegates choose. I wish Edwards could come out today and endorse Hillary. This is the best timing for him to come out.

March 5, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  8. Daryl Jeanne Marie

March 5, 2008

My Dear Candidates;

I am a 57 year old American. I love this country and all that it is supposed to stand for. I am retired and have two children and 4 grandchildren. My father died for this country after receiving two Purple Hearts. My brother did all the things the era asked of him and is now living in a tent. My sister died last year at the age of 58 because of poor health care, as did my mother at the age of 68.

As life as gone I have faired the best in my family as far as education and obtaining the American dream. But I tell you now, that I am more afraid for this country than either of my parents ever were, and they went through the Depression and World War II.

Please show us there is hope. Please help us save this country. Don’t let this great opportunity evaporate. I don’t want to see my grandchildren living through the last days of a dying country…like Rome, or England, or Greece.

If you truly care about this land and its people, more than your personal careers, the two of you should be able to find a way to come up with a joint ticket. Sixteen years of a Democratic White House could save us. Don’t fail at this chance to prove yourselves and keep my grandchildren from drowning is a sea of debt, poor education, and no healthcare.

I beg you, please.

Daryl Jeanne Marie

March 5, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  9. Mike33

As strong a candidate as Hillary is, there's no doubt she polarizes the electorate outside of the Democratic faithful. Why would Obama allude to putting her on the ticket when he's still having to fend her off and show why he's a better choice for the top of the ticket than someone who the Republicans Love to Hate and will do pretty much anything to torpedo?

March 5, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  10. clinton muehlenbrock

Hillary you are so disrespectful to the other states you lost.

March 5, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  11. Jan-Michael

I believe tht having the Republicans with their candidate while the Democrats continue to hold Primaries is good for Clinton and Obama and the Democrats. This is a window of opportunity for Clinton/Obama to show how well they can team up!

Once a Demo candidate is chosen the fight will be on with McCain but until then it will be only how McCain/Bush are a t"eam ".
    While Democrats know the opposition The Republicans have to have 2 plans and nothing otherwise to rivet watchers!

March 5, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  12. Aaron

Well said, Dick.

March 5, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  13. Roy Bresh

you sure a glory seeker ,just like the one that made me a Vet with out the country I service.To me this Election is joke with the same old lies of Bill's & you with just a twist of Ike in it. More hurt for the one's that service and the children that will have to live with it and you will have gotten rule over the people that were one's free

March 5, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  14. TC from DE

I CAN NOT STAND HER! She pulls every stunt to get what she wants without regard to morals, integrity, and honor. She makes me sick to be a woman. Of course she would state that she would like a DREAM ticket because that would guarantee a place for her in the white house no matter what the outcome. I can NOT see her ok as a VP so she needs to stop the BS.

Obama will be nominated and choose an honorable, trustworthy, and reliable running mate. She and Bill need to go home a roll around in all the money they have made with China and all the other under the radar deals.

She was sulking and tight faced and crying when she lost but now all the sudden she is gleeming and in your face ... happy to talk possibilities which I place in the same category as hope...hoping for a victory and to ride a coat tail into the white house. I THOUGHT SHE MADE IT VERY CLEAR THAT SHE DID NOT BELIEVE IN "HOPE."

March 5, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  15. marie

if obama lose i will not vote for hillary i will stay away for the polls in the general election

March 5, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  16. Christine

ugh. what a sad day.

March 5, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  17. Republican for Obama

...and this is why American politics makes me sick. Clinton is losing badly so she goes the only route she knows, negative mud slinging attacks. Obama tries to keep the campaign positive but people apparently want to see a bloodbath. Just like reality shows, we complain how ridiculous they are and then sit down and watch some more.

Clinton has too big of an ego to run as VP with Obama and even if Obama says he'll be VP for her (which he has stated he won't) I would note vote for Clinton. For the first time in a long time this country started our primary season with a positive debate on moving forward and I was excited. Now the ugliness of our well known political system has reared it's head and drug this down into the mud and I am disgusted as in the past.

Too bad, I was actually looking forward to voting this year but the longer this goes on the less interested I am in bothering. I mean why bother voting for the same as we've had for years, sigh....

March 5, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  18. trisha2

hillary would have to top the ticket; it would be an insult to her otherwise.

but, if she was the vp nominee, then i would vote for an Obama/Clinton ticket over McCain. Otherwise, if Obama is the nominee and Clinton isn't his VP, then I'm jumping the party fence in November.

March 5, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  19. edward

Hillary Clition needs to go away. Before I vote for any ticket that endroses Hillary, I will vote for John McCain. I don't trust her and don't want to see her as president or vice president.

March 5, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  20. naomi

I would love to see a Clinton/Obama ticket. I think they should run a joint ticket, both are candidates are creating the kind of momentum we need to bring change to the white house. I don't think as many of the Democrats will stand behind Obama without Clinton's experience; many votes could stray the once more liberal McCain. Obama's voted present too many times and hasn't held any committee meetings for which he is the chair head, He is going to look weak on making decisions and national security. McCain will not.

March 5, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  21. Jerome

If there is to be a joint ticket with both sens. clinton & Obama, there will need to be some clarification on who will lead the ticket. On one hand we have Hillary. She promises to be strong on national security
    issues, cut back on NAFTA, and bring jobs to the people. Sen Obama
    promises to do the same. Hillary speaks of the person with more
    experience like she has a load of it. She was wife to a govenor and
    a president. She ran in a state in which the democratic base was strong. Prior to that she was the cleaner of bill clintons failures. Does that constitute "experience"? I don't think so. As a veteran of the armed forces, I think we will need a commander-in-chief whom will not be lead by their emotions and think with a level head. I honestly think that sen Obama wil not only lead us into a brighter future, but take some of the sting out the some of the past issues that have affected this country. Such as poverty, racism, outsourcing, and equal
    rights for all people. Women won their rights a whole lot longer before
    we won the right to vote. In which was voted on aproximately 2 years ago to keep those rights. I believe this country is due for this change
    for our people, our rights, and our freedoms.

March 5, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  22. Kat

Given all the venomous attacks by the Clinton campaign of late, I find it commendable that Obama has only responded with respect and dignity. This is exactly the type of diplomacy so needed in the world today. If Clinton, with a lower delegate count, somehow underhandedly whines her way into the nomination, I do not think I could bring myself to vote for her in November. I will abstain.

Obama is still in the lead...... the numbers don't lie.

March 5, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  23. Kurt

I too would strongly support a "dream" ticket of both Clinton and Obama, regardless of who is heading that ticket. It would truly unite the Democratic party and yield gains with independent voters.

March 5, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  24. Anonymous

If she wins the nomination, she will need him on her ticket to win. If he wins the nomination, having her on his ticket would hurt him in the general election. She is too polarizing!

March 5, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  25. dreamweaver

NO WAY IN HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 5, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |