March 5th, 2008

Clinton: This may be headed to a joint ticket

Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.
Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.

(CNN) – The morning after primary wins in Ohio, Texas, and Rhode Island, Hillary Clinton said she would consider being part of a Democratic “dream ticket” that would include both her and presidential rival Barack Obama.

"That may be where this is headed,” she told the CBS Early Show during a marathon set of appearances on the network morning news shows. “But of course we have to decide who is on the top of ticket. I think the people of Ohio very clearly said that it should be me."

The New York senator has made the claim before. Last month, in one of several interviews where she said the scenario was a possibility, she told a Vibe interviewer: “Of course there is (a chance of a joint ticket). Of course there is. Now neither of us will answer this question because we don’t want to look presumptuous and premature. But it is more than fair to say that — of course there is.”

While Clinton has said a joint ticket is possible, the Obama team has largely avoided making similar statements. Some of the Illinois senator’s campaign surrogates have said they believe the claims benefit Clinton because they may convince Democratic voters drawn to the Illinois senator that a vote for her is essentially a vote for both of them - or a vote for him to head the ballot in eight years, after she has had her two terms on top of the ticket.

Primary season rivals who have successfully shared a presidential ticket after tough nominating fights include Democrats John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson, and Republicans Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. Nerakami

We have been brainwashed by so many years of negativity and nasty ploys dictating the tone of our politics that when faced with these tactics, our conditioned reactions respond accordingly. I cannot in good conscience feel good about a campaign when backed against the wall has to go negative to win. i have been watching the democrats' political campaign with my two children and cannot justify to them the example being set by Hillary Clinton that in order to win against your competition, one must engage in negative and divisive strategies. When are these politicians going to realize that they as adults are setting the example for our children in how to conduct themselves when trying to achieve their goals. I am very saddened by this and would like to tell my children that the American political process is evolving towards a more mature and positive path but unfortunately, the candidates themselves are acting in stark contrast to that.

March 5, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  2. Shannon

I actually like Hillary and think she made a wonderful first lady and I'm sure she makes a wonderful Senator for NY, but I will never vote for her in any circumstance. Why? Because she is too devisive and that's the last thing this country needs right now.

Seriously, I don't care if Hillary is on the top of the ticket or the bottom of the ticket ... if she is on there at all I either won't vote at all or vote for McCain.

March 5, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  3. Robert

I'm fine with the prospect but I'm afraid that the Obama people's heads are so inflated that they will have a hard time accepting these big state wins as confirmation that she is the one for the job.

March 5, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  4. IfHillaryWins...

I'm voting for a Mccain/Powell ticket.

March 5, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  5. richard, tx

there is no way she would accept a VP position, and there is no way, after all her mud slinging, that he would either.

March 5, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  6. "Keeping it real"

As far as this race has become about race (hispanics against blacks), the Clintons have to ask themselves just how far they are willing to go. Blacks have nothing really to lose as fas as the democrat(ic?) party is concerned. Pawns we have always been, and it appears pawns we will always be as long as we remain in this political party. So to the hispanics in that regard we say welcome. To the Clintons we say you made your bed. You choose to play one group against the other. If there is no compromise there can be no reconciliation at the conclusion of this process. Like Baracks grandmother said the "dirty tricks" are lies are wrong and should not be tolerated. As the hispanics say "no mas", that may very well be the end of things if this mess has no satisfactory conclusion. Obama offered an end to that type of politics but too many refuse to except the needed change to move this country forward. The dream may become a nightmare at the expense of the democratic party. Now if we can find an Obama like republican things would really be great.

March 5, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  7. ChicoSez

A Clinton/Obama ticket is the only one that makes sense now. Of course if you hate Hillary so much, your probable actually a republican anyway. Bill Clinton left office with an approval rating of over 65%. Hillary has never been implicated in any wrong doing, only right wing innuendoes that have been repeated so many times that the younger crowd actually believes them. A Clinton/Obama ticket is a winner for the next 16 years at least. .

March 5, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  8. Groosemoose

I can't envision ever voting for Hillary Clinton.

I'm an Independent. I really would love to see the non-establishment Barack Obama in the White House. I've refrained from voting for the last several elections because the Clintons triggered the dirtiest era in politics, and her campaign has exibited these abhorrent tendencies in full.

As much as I support Obama, I could never support a Clinton presidency.

I would never vote for a pro-lifer like McCain either, though, so maybe it's a good thing Nader is in this election after all.

March 5, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  9. Lilia

Tiss, tiss Obama followers. Don't be bad sports. Think of what is best for your country, not for your egos. At the end of the day, this attitude is about ego. Hillary Clinton as well as Barack Obama will be dedicated public servants that will work for the US and, hopefully, world stability nobody should doubt that, it would be an insult to your own intelligence and a bad reflection on American Democrats/voters.

March 5, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  10. Hobs

CNN ... who is this Jamal Simmons guy that you have on the air? He is supposed to be a political strategist? He whined so much about Obama being mistreated that I turned the channel. He brings nothing to the table. YOU NEED RELEVANT COMMENTARY ON ELECTION NIGHT!

March 5, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  11. donnajp

John: If that is the way you feel then you must not be a "yellow dog" Democrat because a YDD would rather vote for a yellow dog than a Republican.

March 5, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  12. Bill

H. Clinton's ego is so big that there is no way she would consider being VP. Nor do I think Obama would make that choice after all her misinformation and distortion of Obama's view and solutions. She acts as thought being the former 1st lady as if this counts as part of her decision making experience. Can you imagine, if she behaves this now – how she will act internationally when other leaders disagree with her. What is she going to do cry or yell or make up a new distortion. She does not know how to achieve a win-win situation. Everything has to be a fight! Frankly, I had enough of this approach during the last seven years. Instead of Bush and Cheny – now it will be Hillary and Bill in the back ground.

March 5, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  13. paustinx

No Clinton/Obama – we want complete change. Obama / + Fresh Change.

March 5, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  14. patrick kelly

I'll have to think about this "dream ticket". I'm a cross-over Republican who supports Obama. I see the most "CHANGE" coming from him on top of the ticket. I may cross right back to McCain if Hiliary is at the top.

March 5, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  15. Ken

This would be a nightmare ticket. I'm all for Obama, but if Clinton were on the ticket (in either spot) I'm voting Republican! And I know plenty of others who say the same thing.

March 5, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  16. Al, NY NY

So, if every one of the people writing here can't stand HRC, what's gonna happen if she somehow gets the nomination? Are you gonna vote for McCain and his plastic Barbie-doll wife, who stares adoringly at her man? A man who will continue Duh-bya's policies? Or will you vote for the Democratic candidate? A lot of Republican's will hold their nose and vote for McCain. What about you Dems?

March 5, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  17. blake andrew

to all u clinton supporter obama will never choose clinton she disgust me so do all of u and remember obama is still leading by delegate. i will not vote ofr a obama/ clinton ticket.

March 5, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  18. Sonya

I HOPE (no pun intended) she forgets about Barack! She don't need him.
    GO HILLARY!!!

March 5, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  19. Hill Supporter from Minnesota

I'm tired of seeing Obama; he makes me sick. GO HILLARY.

March 5, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  20. Tammy

Yes – I am sooooo tired of the bickering. Get on the same ticket already. Can't they both see Democrats are pretty much torn? I like the 16 years of dems with Hillary as Pres first...and then Obama. I think that at some point though...one of them has to take an ego chill pill and unify the party by taking the co-pilot seat.

March 5, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  21. Phil

That 3 am phone call ad is a joke. What would Hillary do? Wake up Bill and ask him what to do, that's what!

If her name was Hillary Jones or Hillary Smith, she would be a two-bit lawyer at some firm somewhere, and nothing more.

Obama/Richardson would be a solid ticket, with Edwards as Attorney General.

March 5, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  22. Mischelle from Illinois

The ONLY way that would work would be for HER to be POTUS and him to be VPOTUS. He is NOT experienced enough, that showed very clearly with the Canadian issue. 'Rookie mistakes' as most pundants put it Tues evening. Can you imagine if it were Obama as Pres and at every turn she would have to 'SCHOOL' him on almost everything. That would not be good for the nation, not at all.

Think about it, Mr. Obama, NOW is the time for you to reach out to Hillary Clinton and conceed that you are less experienced, and the weeker candidate (fewer major Democratic states won). If you want to be on the ticket at all, you shouldn't let this go any further. Unite the party this way, you have NO CHANCE against John McCain. Think about it!

March 5, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  23. David

At the this point I don't see Clinton or Obama winning without the other...

March 5, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  24. B Moore

Hillary is a political animal indeed. And just that. She doesn't care about you, and never has. In NH, she wept not for the country but for herself.

March 5, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  25. Taneshia

Hilary has truly stooped to a new low. I can not believe how low her and her camp has tried to go. Congrats, TX, OH and RI for taking the bait. You have proven to be the biggest states of confusion and you have given the Republican party the uperhand. Barack will win the nomination and the backing stabbing, liar can be a VP. If that!!!! Hilary and well as those people in TX, OH, and RI disgust me!!!

Obama' 08