March 5th, 2008

Clinton: This may be headed to a joint ticket

Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.
Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.

(CNN) – The morning after primary wins in Ohio, Texas, and Rhode Island, Hillary Clinton said she would consider being part of a Democratic “dream ticket” that would include both her and presidential rival Barack Obama.

"That may be where this is headed,” she told the CBS Early Show during a marathon set of appearances on the network morning news shows. “But of course we have to decide who is on the top of ticket. I think the people of Ohio very clearly said that it should be me."

The New York senator has made the claim before. Last month, in one of several interviews where she said the scenario was a possibility, she told a Vibe interviewer: “Of course there is (a chance of a joint ticket). Of course there is. Now neither of us will answer this question because we don’t want to look presumptuous and premature. But it is more than fair to say that — of course there is.”

While Clinton has said a joint ticket is possible, the Obama team has largely avoided making similar statements. Some of the Illinois senator’s campaign surrogates have said they believe the claims benefit Clinton because they may convince Democratic voters drawn to the Illinois senator that a vote for her is essentially a vote for both of them - or a vote for him to head the ballot in eight years, after she has had her two terms on top of the ticket.

Primary season rivals who have successfully shared a presidential ticket after tough nominating fights include Democrats John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson, and Republicans Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. thehourpast

I think I am going to be ill.

She should be on top of the ticket because she won Ohio!!!!!! Half the country through the popular vote has stated who they want. In fact, twelve states in a row. So does that mean the rest of our votes are not as important as Ohio and Texas. She is still losing. This is unbelievable. Every public statement or movement that is made by the Clinton campaign is completely calculated. She is like Ben from "Lost" with this manipulation of voters. I am so sick of it. I am going to throw up. Hilary please, please go away.

2. kim

Hillary President and Obama Vice President . That is such a perfect Senario.

3. JPG

Let the infighting begin. I would never vote for a Clinton, but I did last night in Texas. hahahah....... The Democratic party is going to destroy itself and Hilary is lighting the match.

As Rush Limbaugh said go vote for Hillary, Quote "RUSH: No, the strategy is... Yes. The strategy is to continue the chaos in this party. Look, there's a reason for this. Our side isn't going to do this. Obama needs to be bloodied up. Look, half the country already hates Hillary. That's good. But nobody hates Obama yet. Hillary is going to be the one to have to bloody him up politically because our side isn't going to do it. Mark my words. It's about winning, folks!"

4. John, Germany

After all the negative campaign Madam Hillary? Obama will be stupid to accept such offer. He will make a better president than ten of you put together. I am quite optimistic he will finally clinch the ticket and put to rest all the insults coming from your clinton campaign
    Obama 08!!!!!!!!!! Yes we can

5. ben

Of course she would hint at it. She wants to gain votes off of Obama's popularity.

This is just gross. What political low-life tactics.

6. Obamista NYC

TO: IONA

SHAME ON YOU TO TRY TO BLAST MICHELLE OBAMA WHEN YOU CAN'T EVEN QUOTE HER ACCURATELY!!!!!

YOU'RE SPREADING ROOMERS...SHE DID NOT SAY AS YOU PUT IT,.....
    "Though Michelle Obama was crticized for her statement 'that I can finally be proud of my country'"

YOU ARE SUCH AN IDIOT ....SHE DID NOT SAY THAT ....WHAT SHE SAID WAS

"this is the first time in my adult life that I am REALLY proud of my country"

GET IT RIGHT OR DON'T MENTION IT AT ALL!!!

ADVERBS DO MATTER, LEARN HOW TO USE THEM!!!

7. Concerned about mandates

Clinton is calling People's Mandate.

Bush's all-but-illegal Texas redistricting may reward her very slim margin in the total popular and resounding thud in major population centers with a semi-win in delegates. The caucuses, so far, show the Obama motivation to be stronger.

Tellingly, her (big) wins in the margins of Ohio, not the city centers from which Ohio is governed, give her the authority to speak to American public opinion?

I'm wary of all mandate talk, especially after watching smear politics overtake rational calm and unprecedented (since 1968) hope– again. Toughen up? Fight? Sorry, I'm coming off of 7 years of tough guy talk and I don't like where it threw us.

I won't call Obama a political saint but I think Clinton's clear rhetorical defensive against Obama's momentum speaks volumes. Almost every minor success of STATEMENT (no one is doing anything yet– it's ALL words!) she has spun has been in the direct context of Obama's campaign statements.

If I were Obama, I'd want Hillary and perhaps Bill Clinton in my cabinet and I'd actively draw them close to the seat of power.

Clinton just wants Barack Obama on her ticket.

8. Andrew

Does no one take Ron Paul seriously anymore? He's a true revolutionary...!!!

9. Indiana University College Student

I am so excited for this presidential election. I truly believe that with either of the democratic candidates, this great nation can finally come together and look towards an incredible and promising future. The people of the United States are finally beginning to show that they can overlook race and gender...I cannot wait to cast my vote in the upcoming election and I will be encouraging my fellow students to do so as well. I contemplated the possibility of a a joint ticket but I have my doubts that Clinton wishes to united the Democratic party; I think she has too much provide to share the White House. If she can come together and look for what is best for America and not for herself, a joint ticket is a viable possibility. OBAMA 08'!

10. NMM

Hillary is a political animal indeed. And just that. She doesn't care about you, and never has. In NH, she wept not for the country but for herself.

11. John

As an Obama supporter we don't need or want Hillary, I will not vote for her at all ever. We do not like Hillary at all don't you people get it. There is no room for her in our gov't. Period. Obama will win. Hillary needs to fade out and go away. Obama/Edwards 08' Say no to negitive Hillary now.

March 5, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  12. Clinton for President!

1st choice: Clinton/Obama
    2nd choice: Obama/Clinton

13. Bob

With Hillary Clinton on any ticket the last thing it would be called is a dream team. If Obama would consider adding her to his ticket as vice president then he isn't as smart as I thought he was.

March 5, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  14. Tiffany

In your dreams Hillary!!! Obama would never ask you to be his VP. If you manage to steal this nomination from him, your only ticket to the White House would have to have him on it. Otherwise you wouldn't stand a chance. Remember he has won 14 out of the last 17!! I don't care how the media spins it.

March 5, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  15. rowena

8 years of Bill Clinton's in the white house was the most prosperous years of America. Economy was booming, balanced budget & he left a surplus but after Bush took over , he turned it into a big deficit. I don't have to detail what George W Bush has done to our country. We need a candidate like Clinton to fix all the problems Bush created. It's proven that she's a tougher leader than Obama. Despite all the big supporters of Obama plus the media who always favor him, Hillary never loses confidence in herself. She believes in herself that she's the most qualified commander in chief among the candidates. I admire her strength & determination that i don't see in Obama's speech.

March 5, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  16. Lou

The people of this country have spoken... a share ticket... no way how you do the math neither will have the delegates. This is not about Obama or Hillary is about America and America has spoken LOUDLY. WE want this two individuals running together and making history together. They complement each other and can not win without each other. I call on everyone to write or call the Obama camp and the Hillary Camp. Because Hillary can deliver the big important states she should be at the top of the ticket and Obama as her running mate and in 8 years he can run on his experience. Is a Win/Win for everyone.

March 5, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  17. AS in Chicago

Has anyone considered a scenario that has happened in the past: At the convention, neither candidate gets enough delegates and it goes to the second vote. Many of those delegates are only pledged for the first vote, and the second vote could be very different, allowing one candidate to surge ahead to the required number. This would not require super delegates! Please advise, Wolf!!!

March 5, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  18. Katie

To "Greg, NY": HRC made that statement because no candidate in recent history has recieved a presidential nomination without winning Ohio. Also, your own state endorsed Clinton...

March 5, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  19. Christal robertson

If Clinton and Obama could work out the logisitics of a "dream ticket", I think that the democrats would definitely be the next party in the White House. How exciting would it be to have the first woman president and the first black vice president there at the same time. It would also give Obama the experience that many seem to feel he lacks this time around. He could enter the next election in a much stronger position.

March 5, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  20. George

Wisdom will always win the day. Time is up for mere rhetorics. Time has now come for action and here is a chance for Obama to get some real experience he would need in 8 years time. Study the master and be willing to follow before you can lead. Many people will respect that kind of humility. Hillary now, Obama later. Go Hillary/Obama.

March 5, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  21. Obama supporter

The moment has come for everybody to start thinking wisely now especially, the Democrats. America voters have clearly indicated their frustration over the way this administration and other administration have conducted business and they want some changes. Democrats stands a good chance to win the General election but the reason why they can't settle with a nominee is because of the uncertainty between Clinton and Obama.

Clinton clearly comes across as a candicate, who has the most experience to handle the criple economy, messy foreign policy and most importantly, bring back the good image our country has enjoyed for so long as the world leader.

Obama on the other hand, has clearly energized the youth for their voices to be heard in this campaign, re-candled the hope people lost for our elected officials and most importantly, has touched people's heart.

The combination of these is what the country needs right now. Personally, both candidates will be good for the country but I now prefer Clinton to be the pres. and Obama as the vice, due to the country's situation. The country doesn't need any litmus test; we tried it with George Bush and see where we are now. Obama needs some exposure and experience, and there is no doubt that he will easily win the presidency after 8 yrs. Meanwhile, I will urge Clinton not to be so pompous and involve him in every decision making to ensure smooth transition of power after the 8 yrs.

March 5, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  22. jose

I have supported Clinton until a week ago. I simply detest her tactics. I will refrain from voting or vote for John McCain if she wins the nomination. Obama does not need her, John Edwards would be a better choice. No candidate should align themselves with the Clintons.

March 5, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  23. Yolanda

A joint ticket is the only way the Democrats can make this ugly mess (Florida, Michigan, Superdelegates) go away. It would make sense for Clinton to be on top of the ticket, as Obama is still very young and his inexperienced could and would be used against him by the Republicans. If the Dems play their cards right, they could be in power for a long time. It appears to me that Clinton, is nothing else, is an extremly hard worker and I believe she would do her utmost to keep as many of the promises she made as possible. If Obama is open minded enough and looks towards the future, not only of himslef but the party and the country, he could gain a lot of valuable experience which would help him down the road not only to win the Presidency, but also to be a very effective President. For him there really is no rush.

March 5, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  24. jdusek

"Hey America, I'm WAY behind in delegates and there's no chance I can close the gap, but don't you think I should be president and the guy that's beating me should be my VP? Doesn't that sound awesome?"

I'd support a joint ticket, but the person who is leading the race should be Commander in Chief and the person who is trailing should consider the VP slot.

March 5, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  25. SUSAN

I could't agree more. Their views are similar. She is just more polished, experienced, and has a better understanding of things.

I hope they can come together and not rip the Dem party apart. He needs to understand that she is going be the nominee and get in for the experience. It just makes sense.

They will win by a landslide. If they don't unite, say hello to President McCain (egads...4 more yrs of Bush economics).

March 5, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |