March 5th, 2008

Clinton: This may be headed to a joint ticket

Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.
Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.

(CNN) – The morning after primary wins in Ohio, Texas, and Rhode Island, Hillary Clinton said she would consider being part of a Democratic “dream ticket” that would include both her and presidential rival Barack Obama.

"That may be where this is headed,” she told the CBS Early Show during a marathon set of appearances on the network morning news shows. “But of course we have to decide who is on the top of ticket. I think the people of Ohio very clearly said that it should be me."

The New York senator has made the claim before. Last month, in one of several interviews where she said the scenario was a possibility, she told a Vibe interviewer: “Of course there is (a chance of a joint ticket). Of course there is. Now neither of us will answer this question because we don’t want to look presumptuous and premature. But it is more than fair to say that — of course there is.”

While Clinton has said a joint ticket is possible, the Obama team has largely avoided making similar statements. Some of the Illinois senator’s campaign surrogates have said they believe the claims benefit Clinton because they may convince Democratic voters drawn to the Illinois senator that a vote for her is essentially a vote for both of them - or a vote for him to head the ballot in eight years, after she has had her two terms on top of the ticket.

Primary season rivals who have successfully shared a presidential ticket after tough nominating fights include Democrats John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson, and Republicans Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. Martha

It is not amazing that HRC is relishing her win in Ohio, when the majority of her votes were based on race. HRC relishes that fact that race played a major key in her win. This is the divisive tactic that she has always used to win at all costs. It is not over.

March 5, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  2. LEST

Hilary made it for me... I have seen her real face, which shows clearly how trouble she could be if nominated. Hopefully not because if that is the case we're all doomed. I just don't understand how she can change face in a matter of second. She is thrilled to run with you today and decided to trash you 48 hours later. People, GIVE ME A BREAK, there is no way I'll cast a vote for someone like her. The Clintons think they own this country... NO WAY

March 5, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  3. Another WW for Obama

Caroline Rose.
    BRILLIANT AND SO WELL SAID. I can only go for a joint ticket if Clinton is on the bottom. She will destroy any future that Obama has if she is the top!

March 5, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  4. Marty, Memphis

What a crock. Hillary wants to pretend she's ahead now. She had one good night, stooped a 12 state losing streak and now she wants to "let" little Barack be her VP.

Dream on, shrew. I am a 54 year old white guy who will vote McCain if you're at the top of the ticket.

March 5, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  5. Jean

I don't think a joint ticket is acceptable. It sounds like a cop-out. Let the voters make the decission. If we respond to negative campaining, rece,or gender we get what we deserve.

March 5, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  6. Jim

Sad, but true...regardless of efforts to change people keep returning to the same well. Change can not come easy but it is time for changing of the guard...not a shared ticket. The Clinton, Bush strangle hold has to be cut...the country needs a fresh start. Ohio, are you better off today?

March 5, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  7. Thomas Jefferson

I don't get it. Why is this a "dream ticket"? With about 41% of the people in this country calling themselves Democrats, 39% calling themselves Republicans, and about 20% Independents, and Independents frequently voting Republican, how can you call Obama and Clinton a dream ticket? I think the demcrats are getting just a tad ahead of themselves this election. You've got a long way to go.

March 5, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  8. Greggy V

I don't think so. I'm getting tired of seeing the Obamas. They make me sick

March 5, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  9. Marv...

It would have to be an Obama/Clinton ticket. After all the dirty tricks she pulled during the primaries, there’s absolutely no way I could with a good conscience for Hillary to lead this Country. Obama would only hurt his future, if he was to VP for Clinton.

Even with Obama as Hillary's VP, I would vote for McCain. I don't want to see this country loose this opportunity to unity. She is not the one. She would serve well as pro-temp in the Senate. Honestly she would.

This has got to stop! It’s time for Obama and Clinton to sit down with the DNC and map out the future for the party and for this country.

March 5, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  10. Rebecca AZ

The media is not the king maker it thought it was...
    hahahahahehehe*lol Love seeing the talking heads eat their words!! Hillary is the best for the job shes a fighter shes the winner the come back kid of ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**************************08

March 5, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  11. John Wayne

Any ticket with Hillary Clinton on it will see McCain as President and worse..both the Senate and the House along with all competitive state offices will be won by the Republicans.

Hillary Clinton on the ticket will guarantee George Bush's Electoral Legacy.

March 5, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  12. A CANUCK

A joint ticket ....I don't think so!! That would be a fate worse than
    hell. Can you imagine being with TWO Clintons in the Oval Office!!!!
    It woul be like Diana's marriage.......three's a crowd!!

March 5, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  13. Latina Voter

Everyone that is tired of Hillary Clinton, will get over it. She is were she is because she worked hard. She can't make everyone happy, though she will still try too. If you are a true Democratic you will stand by whomever is the Democratic nominee.

Obama needs to start conviencing the people that he is a figher, not just take it. Explain why your top surrogate stated one thing when you stated another regarding NAFTA, show proof of your dealings with Rezko and quit whinning about the media. Because again Obama is a man of his WORDS.

March 5, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  14. Portia

I'm sorry, who is winning in the total and pledged delegate count in the democratic race? For some reason, I thought it was Obama. Now tell me why exactly he should consider being her vice president; this woman has a lot of ego.

March 5, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  15. Let the Truth Be Known

I can support that ticket only if Obama is the President. He is the person to bring the country togather. There are many unanswered question left to be answered by Hillary.

March 5, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  16. jaylee

Obama does not have enough experience to be in the hot seat. To those of you that accuse Hillary of slinging mud, she sat on the various current and old Obama discrepencies before it hit the current news through different channels. The questionable real estate deal with a slimball in Chicago hit the news few years back.. Obama should have walked away from that guy whether it was the house of his dreams or not. That was his fault. Not Hillarys. Obama should have refrained from making a statement "that it is not true" his representative met with the Canadians. That was his fault. Not Hillarys. Call it slinging mud, or call it telling the truth. Call it whatever you want, but make sure they get called on it.
    Obama needs to step up to the plate now and give us more details on his specific plans, intentions, and stop the smooth talking. Unlike some Americans, I dont need to be romanced. Just give me the facts and your past record and qualifications.

March 5, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  17. Mark

I do not see the Democratic Party split apart. This is politics and it is going to be somewhat nasty sometimes. I will vote for either in the general election and those that won't need to grow up and look at what they are contemplating more closely. It is extremely childish and self centered to say I will not vote for the democrat if my candidate does not get the nomination.
    One more thing that is quite true, Obama keeps beating Clinton up over her decision to vote to authorize Bush to enter into Iraq, that is pretty negative in itself.
    Either of them will beat McCain, and both will most certainly beat him. It is exciting that we have democratic candidates we are excited about. To refuse to vote for the other candidate if yours does not win is cutting your nose off to spite your face. That will lead to 4 and maybe 8 more years of what we have now. Is your self righteousness worth that?

March 5, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  18. Ron

Well if it makes you sick go puke in the corner Obama Whiners need to go out and get drunk on some Thunderbird .Hillary here we come 08

March 5, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  19. Ron

Thank You All.

We are all right. I think this is the only solution.

Lets play nie throug hthe rest of the contests and hte best man/woman wins and 2nd gts the VP spot.

A lot of people have said this from day one. Is the Dem party fianlly listening?

If it does not happen the Dems can forget the Whitehouse! Maybe now they are opening there eyes.

We need a meeting betwen the two ASAP

March 5, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  20. Bingo

Purely from an intellectual discussion point of view, I could see the joint ticket if Senator Clinton is the nominee. In that case, I think she will politically be forced to at least offer the VP slot to Senator Obama. He might take it, since he is then the front runner in either 2012 or 2016 depending upon the results of 2008. I cannot see the same being true if Senator Obama is the nominee. I don't see him asking Senator Clinton to be the VP nor do I see her accepting the spot. Unlike Senator Obama, Senator Clinton probably would not have a realistic chance to be the nominee in 2016.

That said, I will not vote for either of them, not because I dislike either on a personal level, but because I am totally opposed to all of their policy positions. Either a President Obama or a President Clinton would result in increased government entitlement programs that will require permanent higher taxes, increased union and special interest interference in the public education system, increased prices on manufactured goods and services through increased union wages and union influence, a potential shift of the Supreme Court from its current centrist makeup back to the more liberal slant of the 1980s and 1990s and decreased national security in the long term global war on terror.

I have been impressed by Senator Obama's attitude and compaign, and have even come to have a measure of respect for Senator Clinton's resilency. But I don't want either one of them answering a phone call in the White House at any time of the day or night. I will be voting for Senator McCain.

Bingo

March 5, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  21. Sandnsnow

Obama/Edwards.... that's the way to go! There's no way Obama should be VP under her... and Obama wouldn't go with her as his VP after all of her smear campaigning. She doesn't represent his idealism in any way and America needs ideals right now.

March 5, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  22. Martha

OBAMA/EDWARDS is the most likely dream ticket. HRC is only a nightmare.

March 5, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  23. Karin

How gracious of her – finally.

March 5, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  24. ella

yuck...could this lady's campaign be more SCHIZO?? Congratulations to anyone who wants to live in her world...must be a good time!

March 5, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  25. Kevin

Incredible...the woman who divides

now wants to paint herself as a uniter. Anyone think she has the ability to do so? She has proven the opposite over the past few weeks.

March 5, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |