March 5th, 2008

Clinton: This may be headed to a joint ticket

Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.
Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.

(CNN) – The morning after primary wins in Ohio, Texas, and Rhode Island, Hillary Clinton said she would consider being part of a Democratic “dream ticket” that would include both her and presidential rival Barack Obama.

"That may be where this is headed,” she told the CBS Early Show during a marathon set of appearances on the network morning news shows. “But of course we have to decide who is on the top of ticket. I think the people of Ohio very clearly said that it should be me."

The New York senator has made the claim before. Last month, in one of several interviews where she said the scenario was a possibility, she told a Vibe interviewer: “Of course there is (a chance of a joint ticket). Of course there is. Now neither of us will answer this question because we don’t want to look presumptuous and premature. But it is more than fair to say that — of course there is.”

While Clinton has said a joint ticket is possible, the Obama team has largely avoided making similar statements. Some of the Illinois senator’s campaign surrogates have said they believe the claims benefit Clinton because they may convince Democratic voters drawn to the Illinois senator that a vote for her is essentially a vote for both of them - or a vote for him to head the ballot in eight years, after she has had her two terms on top of the ticket.

Primary season rivals who have successfully shared a presidential ticket after tough nominating fights include Democrats John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson, and Republicans Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. Ransom

wait hillary clinton i think would make a good vp but for pres. no i think she would mess up and really the pres. just makes the ideas up its really the senates and congress who really decides on what happens so maybe we should think a little lower on the chain

March 5, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  2. BL-NYC

If Senator Obama wins the Democratic nomination, I don't think I can vote. He is just not ready... Wish he was, great speaker.

March 5, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  3. Shirley

Your personal "Feelings" concerning Hillary Clinton is totally irrelevant. Your small insignificant vote is meaningless by itself. However, take pride in knowing that your choice of the Democratic Nominee was based on the issues and the most qualified individual. All of you know it is Hillary Clinton..So do what you need to do.........

March 5, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  4. E-Lane

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Obama still in the delegate lead. One victory does not win the war, Hillary, and now you want to force yourself on the ticket...in the top spot no less. Typical Clinton-ish tactics. We'll see in the next primary when Obama finally secures his victory, then maybe Hillary can beseech Obama for a spot on his ticket.

March 5, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  5. Yolie

Joint ticket? Well, that doesn't sound too bad, but which Hillary should we put on the ticket? The woman is obviously bipolar. The bipolar express hasn't been approved by the TSA. I don't believe this will be something that will come to culmination. I like Obama and I hope that the message of Change for all is being felt across this nation. When it comes to experience none of the candidates have experience running a country or being President. Experience comes with doing a job. How many college grads have experience doing a job until they are actually in the job? Barack is my choice and from the delegate votes he's a lot of Americans choice. Allow the people to make an informed decision. We need change in this country and we need Hillary to turn over her tax returns. When will all of this happen? Hillary is the same politics that we've seen for years. Look at what happens when electing a candidate whose family member has formally run this country. George Sr. ran and look at what George W. Bush, Jr. has done with this country. Now, do we want the same thing from Hillary after Bill? We NEED REAL CHANGE!

Obama 08.. Elevate in 08

March 5, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  6. Debby

I would love a Clinton/Obama ticket. I doubt it would happen the other way around. At least this way it would give him the experience he needs to run after she is done. By last nights victories its plain to see the voters are going for experience vs. inspiration. Obama won't be able to carry these big states on his own especially Florida where he is not that popular. If McCain asks Romney to be his running mate and Obama is the nom. you can forget about a Dem. President. Romney is a good economist and Ohio Dems. and Independents will be looking at that.

March 5, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  7. Lou

We are all democrats and should vote democratic in the general! All the folks saying I won't vote if ________ gets the tickets is not being a true democrat. Support the future!

March 5, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  8. Chris

Go Obama!

When its all said and done I would understand if he asked Clinton to join his ticket. It would certainly be a stong move in bringing the party together. I'd personally prefer a beautiful blonde VP like Scarlet Johanson, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

March 5, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  9. international observer

clinton has the audacity to stand on national television and propose a dream ticket?after all the lie,mudslinging,fear-mongering attacks of barack.america i feel that texas and ohio made the first mistake i have witnessed in this presidential election.why bet your money or more less your votes on a candidate who will not prevail in a contest against mc cain.i strongly advice senator obama not to consider hillary as his VP if he wants to become president.repblicans are waiting for the chance to expose all the baggage she has the obama is trying not to mention.hillary is sly,manipulative and egoistic.voting for her will only unify a fractured republican party.i have monitored elections and by the look of things hillary is doomed to fail.if the DNC wants a ticket to win the election i suggest Obama/Edwards 08.america take note the world is watching and waiting for a good president to lead the world.Obama has been chosen by over half of the nation what else do you need to make your final decision.

Obama.........Mr President
    Edwards......Mr Vice President

March 5, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  10. Susan Cusson, Mohave Valley, Arizona 86440

John, I don't know your age., but I have watch every word of every election since I was six and that is a long time. I will not blame her for the sins of her husband. She has so much to offer and she can handle herself quite well. she has thick skin and can take the pressure. I am open minded and I will not sit in jugement on her. It is not a woman thing it is not a race thing. I want the best qualified candidate for the time. Barack will be ready too some day. She has the experience and he has the golden tongue. Please reconsider. It is best for the country. Nobody is perfect. She is a pitt-bull when she has to be. This is her not Bill. She can keep him in line. Thanks, God Bless You.

March 5, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  11. Jane, Maryland

Can any of you people touting her experience please ARTICULATE Sen Clinton's 35 years experience?

March 5, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  12. n. miller

NO this is not a great idea at this stage – prior to last week I would have said yes – but after all her negativity – no way – just want the Clinton's to ride off into the sunset.

March 5, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  13. Lawrence Ajadi

Although Clinton and Obama as everyone seems to be saying, are not that different. The way they are going to implement their policies are way way different.

In real term, Obama has more to offer the US more than Clinton. Everyone keep forgetting about Lobbysts. America can do much better if the government deal with this people in a cleaner way than it has always be done – say better by 10%, improvement to the national efficiency, productivity and most citizens feeling can improve by more that 45% to 50%.

If every salesmen are allowed to sell $5.00 at $2.50, no salesman will run out of commissions. America need to change and change drastically if she wants to remain relevant and competitive with these up and coming countries like China, India and even Russia and others.

Voters need Obama for the nation, Obama need them. Clinton/Obama ticket when Obama appears to on top is a no go. If Clinton goes to the top in this election, Obama has to be out of the race entirely otherwise big betrayal looms for the young to medium age voters who happens to be the most needed by any nation. Obama can not be part of Clinton's government and run in 8 years time on this desire he has for change.

Obama/Clinton ticket by all means. OK .

14. Yaw

wow very simple OBAMA CAN'T WIN!!!!! Three chances to knock out Mrs Clinton, came up short. After saying in one of his Angelic speeches we will win Texas and Ohio, He lost both, and after just one week of media scrutiny he CRUMBLED CRUMBLED crumbled.!!!!

DEMOCRATES WISE UP THE REPUBLICANS WILL SWIFT VOTE THE $HIT OUT OF THIS ANGELIC SPEAKER WITH NO PLANS OR IDEAS EXCEPT TO COUNTER SOMEONE ELSES IDEAS AND PLANS!!

The Republicans have voted FOR him TO CHOSE HIM for democrats so they can exploit him in the general election THINK!!!

i'M African American who's father is from Ghana West Africa like Barack and i think he is a great inspiration and i love him for what he's done but people got to realize truth when they see it HE'S NOT READY TO BE PRESIDENT!!!!!

15. Heather, Orlando FL.

Senator Clinton and her close supporters, wonders why nobody believes she has a softer side to her. The truth is, the Hillary we see, is the REAL Hillary. She continues to give numerous examples, of how she is not the candidate of CHANGE. For example, all the negative ads for personal gain. There's no justification for that. She blamed Obama for tearing apart the Democratic Party with negative ads, just to do the same thing. Throwing tantrums to get more media coverage and not releasing her TAX RETURNS. If Hillary is the nominee, I'll just sit this election year out.

P.S.
    she doesn't have any experience either. She's just a junior senator too.

16. concern for peace

They both have the same values, just Clinton is more experienced and a fighter. She is some one who does not give up and give in to pressures or unjust treatment. For those of you who say she is not trustworthy, what do you mean? If you are talking about all the scandals, none were proven no matter how much they tried and wished for. For those of you who believe she is divisive, I don’t think it is true. Most of us don’t like a strong woman who has a conviction; I believe it is us who don’t give a woman a chance. Either we are jealous or we believe a woman should be beaten. We are taking a risk with Obama, why not with some one who we know will do a good job since she has proven herself over and over again.
    Hillary / Obama will be the best ticket.

17. C Spurgeon

I would love to see a joint ticket. Good for the dems and good for the country. Each could do a lot of good to unite this country. Hope they both consider it.

18. S. Shay

Why wouldn't Clinton continue to play more mind games with the American public? She apparently succeeded in convincing the mentally challenged to vote against Barack on Tuesday, why not let the games continue? I hope Barack finds a clever way to respond to this rhetoric about a dream ticket. Of course she wants him to respond negatively so she can accuse him of polarizing the Democratic party by saying he wouldn't choose her but he needs to say something and say it now!! His supporters as well as the delusional ones in her campaign need to know that she will not be a suitable running mate for him. If I were him I would say something like, "You know, I considered Senator Clinton as a possible running mate as my Vice President but these past few weeks have made it difficult to believe she would aid me in making the changes needed in today's politics. Whining about not being treated fairly and attacking my character as opposed to my policies certainly hasn't endeared her to the American public. My running mate will be someone who values the Democratic party and the ideals we hold to and someone who believes that change is only possible as a united front. My running mate will be someone who has let go of the dirty politics of the past and move towards making American safer today, tomorrow and beyond. I appreciate Senator Clintons interest in being my Vice President but at this point my decision has not been made."

You can plagarize the heck out of what I just said Barack. You have my permission!!!

Obama 08

19. Carole

Hillary is the better for person for even suggeting it. I personally do not want to vote for anyting that Obama name is on.

20. James

I can NEVER vote for Hillary.If they make this a joint ticket,me and my family will vote for independent or Republican. I cant stand this liar as hillary.
    CNN is biased in reporting to favor Hillary few these days before election.CNN needs to be objective in its reporting too.

21. KJ

I could never envision Senator Obama allowing himself to be the VP for Senator Clinton, and that's only if she wins the nomination without it being stolen from Senator Obama by the DNC/Super Delegates.

Let's state the facts, Senator Obama has brought more folks out to vote in record numbers because we all see a "change" with him as the President. He is able to work with any gender, race and religion because he is a true uniter...not like our current President. I am a Republican at heart and always have been, but I can honestly say I have never seen an individual in Politics that can bring together so many folks like Senator Obama has. I've been around in the days of Senator Kennedy who was the last one to do this.

Senator Clinton is the same ole Washington politician and in my mind is jealous of Senator Obama and what he has accomplished so far. Do any of you honestly believe she would/could bring out the number of voters we're seeing today as Senator Obama has? I highly doubt it, because for the Clintons it's all about the power and the title. They both have BIG egos and this country is fed up with that...look at the arrogance of our current President and VP....need I say more.

What this country needs is a new vision and new reform in Washington for us, the working people. We do not need another Bush, Clinton, Clinton, Bush, Bush, "possibly Clinton" presidency. This greate country needs Senator Obama as the next President.

22. Megan

Bill will be HIllary's real VP so she can really only have a pawn in that role. That's not Obama. She is a great manipulator. If Hill wins the nomination, we'll have McCain for 4 years, then Obama can run again and win it all.

23. Stephannie Minneapolis, MN

Clinton contemplating a joint ticket? Is this her way of acknowledging that she may not decisively win the nomination? Hmm...

I know for certain that neither candidate will play second fiddle on the Democratic ticket. Obama understands the history in the Clinton adminstration where Al Gore had a smaller staff and smaller offices than Hillary Clinton. He knows that for eight long years, Gore was silenced while Hillary offered her opinion on important domestic and foreign policy matters. Obama also understands that Bill will be the de facto Vice President and he will be rendered mum as well. He's not interested.

On the other hand, Clinton as a VP would want to run too much of the day-to-day operations without consulting Obama. I also believe that she will attempt to usurp and undermine his authority at a moment's notice. I wouldn't doubt if she would arrange some coup to overthrow Obama and takeover as president. Clinton would engage in face-to-face conflict with Michelle and the rest of his staff over policy decisions. It would be awful. Again, Obama is uninterested.

Obama would be best if he continues on his path to win the Democratic nomination. And when he does, he will then reveal that John Edwards will be his running mate. Now that's change I can believe in.

24. josh

Clinton- Obama, thats how god wants it and hey at least he'll get the best exper, money can buy and maybe become president in 8 years so hell get 16 years of it I think he should

25. L. Tran, TX

Joint ticket ?

Obama can bring the troop home within 6 months and inspire his constituents to go to work everyday. If he can.

Clinton can provide universal health care and take the call at 3AM, which she can.