March 5th, 2008

Clinton: This may be headed to a joint ticket

Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.
Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.

(CNN) – The morning after primary wins in Ohio, Texas, and Rhode Island, Hillary Clinton said she would consider being part of a Democratic “dream ticket” that would include both her and presidential rival Barack Obama.

"That may be where this is headed,” she told the CBS Early Show during a marathon set of appearances on the network morning news shows. “But of course we have to decide who is on the top of ticket. I think the people of Ohio very clearly said that it should be me."

The New York senator has made the claim before. Last month, in one of several interviews where she said the scenario was a possibility, she told a Vibe interviewer: “Of course there is (a chance of a joint ticket). Of course there is. Now neither of us will answer this question because we don’t want to look presumptuous and premature. But it is more than fair to say that — of course there is.”

While Clinton has said a joint ticket is possible, the Obama team has largely avoided making similar statements. Some of the Illinois senator’s campaign surrogates have said they believe the claims benefit Clinton because they may convince Democratic voters drawn to the Illinois senator that a vote for her is essentially a vote for both of them - or a vote for him to head the ballot in eight years, after she has had her two terms on top of the ticket.

Primary season rivals who have successfully shared a presidential ticket after tough nominating fights include Democrats John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson, and Republicans Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. MJM, NE

Funny how Hillary is still behind, and she is arrogant enough to suggest Obama be VP??!!!

No Hillary.
    NoBama.

McCain '08!!

March 5, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  2. George in OH

To Dre, if that's what you want, let's take all the red states out, like CO, KS, AL, UT, GA, oh, do I forget South Carolina?

March 5, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm |
  3. Kate

Of course I would love to see Obama on top of that ticket, but how in the world could she make that happen, given how negative she's been against him lately??

March 5, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  4. Joseph, NY, NY

Obama should not lead the ticket. Why should the super delegates vote for Obama in states where he won and not vote for who they believe is the best candidate especially when he only won those states because Independents and Republicans voted for him only to keep Hillary out. First a democratic primary should be just that, a democratic primary where only registered democrats should be allowed to vote, just like in Pennsylvania. Second those independents and republicans are not going to vote for him in the general election, those states are Republican states and will vote Republican in the general election and no amount of pretty words are going to change that fact.
    If Florida or Michigan votes don’t count for the democratic convention then they should not count for the general election, both states should boycott the general election. Remember Florida was the deciding factor in 2000 when we got Bush.
    I keep reading Obama supporters say that Hillary will do or say anything to get elected how ridiculous can they be as if Obama hasn’t said or done things to try to get elected, what’s worst is that Obama says one thing to the voters and then in a close door meeting with Canadian officials says something else. It’s a politicians’ job to do and say things to get elected, being president is what they are working for, but what Obama did is low and proves that he is no change agent, he’s just a same old politician promising the world just to get elected to then turn his back on the voters like he did in New Orleans.

March 5, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  5. Landers

It's Hillary Clinton at the top of the ticket with Obama back as the Senator of Illinois or my vote goes to McCain.

March 5, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  6. Ray Suelzer

Not a dream ticket, a horrible horrible compromise ticket.

Obama gains nothing. Obama/Clinton would go against everything he has ever said or done.

March 5, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  7. Leslie Somerville, Seattle, Washington

Perfect dream ticket!

March 5, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  8. Border Latino

It is not Obama fault Hillary is oldish, why should he wait? In 8 years when Hillary turns 92 she can be president.

March 5, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  9. Shirley in California

I bought into Obama's change in the dysfunctional government system and take a high road in running our government.

The Clintons represents the exact worn out parts we need to change and get rid of. Just watch their dirty tactics in the past weeks reenforces my belief.

The Clintons are just too divisive and too much into their own personal agenda!

I want the best person with high principles to lead our country to a better place. This is too a too important issue to limite myself into the mere party victory.

I will support Obama, without the Clintons, all the way!

March 5, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  10. Ray Suelzer

HIllary Voted for the Iraq war. What great experience....

March 5, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  11. GoHill

I never did understand Obamas attacks on Clinton over NAFTA, when in reality his position was a copy of her position.
    How do you get to attack someone for having the same opinions and ideas on NAFTA, and who will take the same actions on NAFTA AS YOURSELF.
    For me, that is why I will not vote for Obama- unless it IS a joint ticket. If Hillary is NOT on the ticket, people like myself will just write her name in. Obama alone loses my vote- because he got here due to media favoritism and unfair sabotage of Hillary.

March 5, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  12. s3xys4die

T

March 5, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  13. Sue

Obama has way too much of an ego to pick Clinton as his VP. If he is the Democratic nominee, my vote is with McCain.

March 5, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  14. George in Arizona

Hillary's win in Texas and Ohio won't overcome Obama. If she's the nominee it will be a back room deal and the Democrats will be doomed.

March 5, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  15. Against the Cult

You know, hate her or love her, you have to admire her strength and tenacity. My republican girlfriends has reluctantly admitted that they respect her. Even Karl Rove today reluctantly said he had to give her some credit.
    I wish the Obama supporters would at least admit that they have to respect her as a strong fighting leader. You dont have to like her, but admit that she is a tough strong candidate.

March 5, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  16. CHERYL

I KNOW THAT SENATOR CLINTON KNOWS WHAT IS BEST!

THAT WAS PROVEN LAST NIGHT!

BUT I WOULD HATE TO SEE HER JOIN FORCES WITH SOMEONE THAT HAS BEEN HORRIBLE TO HER!

I ALSO THINK THAT HIS REPUTATION IS RUINED!

HILLARY IS WAY TOO GOOD TO TEAM UP WITH SOMEONE OF HIS CHARACTER AND EXPERIENCE!

I WILL AGREE WITH WHAT EVER SHE DOES! BUT I SURE WOULDN'T PICK HIM!

I WOULD PICK JOHN EDWARDS!

I WANT TO SAY CONGRATULATIONS TO SENATOR CLINTON!!!!!!!!

I HAVE BEEN WITH YOU ALL THE WAY!

YOU WILL WIN!!!!!!!!!

MICHIGAN AND FLORIDA ARE WITH YOU!!!!!!

March 5, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  17. Dameun

Hillary, Obama doesn't need you. But you sure as hell need him. I think Bill was a little confused about which candidate was living in the fairytale. The slipper does not fit and there is no invitation to the ball, Mrs. SlickWilly. Wait until the tax info comes out what will the defense be for that. How much time will you have to spend dealing with that issue?

I say Obama/Sibelius in '08. There is a viable woman democrat and it isn't you. Do the party a big favor...say goodnight.

March 5, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  18. kd

I would say this county is very divided look at the numbers. Hillary, has won the most popular states, which tend to vote democratic. Obama, has one more red smaller states. We need to look at the general election electoral college. She would win today the general election because of electoral college. I like both, but think of the 8 years Hillary and the then 8 years Obama, he would be very hard to beat if they turn the country around.

kd
    Texas

March 5, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  19. dbacchus

You are right, Ellis.

more STATES, more VOTES, and more DELEGATES .

That's it!

Obama '08

March 5, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  20. Mary in NY

They don't want to print my earlier post because it points out not only the Clinton dirty politics, the DOZENS of Clinton scandals, but the poor job journalists are doing in covering this race (and the latest Clinton scandals – Naftagate, Paul trial in California, Major donors in jail).

Obama has more pledged delegates, more popular vote and more states. Yet the media perpetuates Hillary's sham 'comeback.' Managing to hold on to a little bit of the major lead you had two weeks before the primaries is not a comeback! Now she hints at being VP because it is the only way left to claw herself on to a ticket.

NO CLINTON, NEVER!!

March 5, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  21. Jon

"ABC March 5th, 2008 10:27 am ET

If Barack does not win the Democrtic Primary he should run for Governor of Illinois.

Hillary "the ready on day one Commander-in-Chief" will lose to John McCain, the real-deal no phony endorsements required in November and no amount of spin will change that!"

ABC – McCain is getting an endorsement from a phony today.

March 5, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  22. Kim

Experence where did she get it from being the first lady, from approving the plan that took millions of jobs out of the country, or from trying to get a medical plan together that has taken over 20 years and not being able to do it ???????

March 5, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  23. Mike

All of you need to start looking at the big picture... If I were in a tight race like this and knowing that McCain was about to win the nomination... Before I would throw in the hat I would make sure that Obama is equipped to handle the pressure... Clinton did all of us a great service because you are fools to think that McCain was not going to hit Obama hard with all of these questions...

Obama is running a campaign that will not let him respond... Look at the outcome... it is obvious that he made a mistake because he does not have the experience and knowledge of how this system works... McCain is going to throw the "whole house" at whoever wins the democratic nomination because this is his last chance to be president!!!

All of you need to realize that Obama has a big problem lingering in Chicago... Rezko's corruption trial is going to go on for several months... If Obama is brought up in court he will have to be called in to testify... Is he going to say sorry McCain I can not debate you right now because I have to go testify in court regarding my past dealings with a corrupt businessman out of Chicago... He may be innnocent of any wrong doing but the damage will have been done... From all of the news stories you can just imagine what the Republican bias media will do... Some people will be able to see through all the smoke and mirrors... There is a majority that base their decision on what they hear from CNN, NBC, MSNBC, Etc...

I think it would be beneficial for both of them to run together and for Obama to be VP so he can get past Rezko and get a little more experience... If they do a great job the next 16 years could be dominated by the democrats!!!

March 5, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  24. Sam, Menlo Park

"As an Obama supporter, if they are on the same ticket, I'd vote for McCain."

Yes, once again, we see the complete and utter IDIOCY of Obama's supporters. Then again, it's pretty redundant: anyone who would support this moron with no experience is already proved to be an idiot.

March 5, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  25. carmen

You know I read folks on here prattling on -Obama fans, Indeps. and Reps.) and the like- and they are all so hloier than thou about Clinton's campaign tactics.

It has eerked me that When HRC brought up RezkoSlumlord @ a debate it was in response to Obama's cheap shot about being a Coroporate Attorney for Walmart. No one seems to remember that.

No one seems to remember that Obama released the Flier debunking her health plan first.

Obama was untouchable in the media there for a while. Maybe it was because everyone really liked him or maybe it was because everyone was afraid to say anything for fear or a racism charge.

Somehow, she had to knock through that unsurmontable barrier. And she did. So call it what you will, "kitchen sink" "dirty Politcs" or what I prefer -a gutsy campaign with all the right timing.

AND YOU THINK SHE CAN'T PULL IT OFF AGAINST MCCAIN?

Here's to Clinton, our next president.

March 5, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |