March 5th, 2008

Clinton: This may be headed to a joint ticket

Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.
Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.

(CNN) – The morning after primary wins in Ohio, Texas, and Rhode Island, Hillary Clinton said she would consider being part of a Democratic “dream ticket” that would include both her and presidential rival Barack Obama.

"That may be where this is headed,” she told the CBS Early Show during a marathon set of appearances on the network morning news shows. “But of course we have to decide who is on the top of ticket. I think the people of Ohio very clearly said that it should be me."

The New York senator has made the claim before. Last month, in one of several interviews where she said the scenario was a possibility, she told a Vibe interviewer: “Of course there is (a chance of a joint ticket). Of course there is. Now neither of us will answer this question because we don’t want to look presumptuous and premature. But it is more than fair to say that — of course there is.”

While Clinton has said a joint ticket is possible, the Obama team has largely avoided making similar statements. Some of the Illinois senator’s campaign surrogates have said they believe the claims benefit Clinton because they may convince Democratic voters drawn to the Illinois senator that a vote for her is essentially a vote for both of them - or a vote for him to head the ballot in eight years, after she has had her two terms on top of the ticket.

Primary season rivals who have successfully shared a presidential ticket after tough nominating fights include Democrats John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson, and Republicans Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. Marlena

Obama/Edwards

Obama/Gore and John Edwards, Attorney General

March 5, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  2. VOTE FOR GOODNESS AND HONESTY

I do not want a joint ticket unless Obama is the President.
    He is an honest and good man and He should have won
    last night.

March 5, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  3. Ernest

Hillary claims 35 years of experience...She's in her 60s...where does the experience come from...being a lawyer? No...maybe being the president's wife...no or maybe its being senator for a few more years than Obama.

Its truly amazing how a state (OHIO) so devastated by the NAFTA agreement votes for Clinton whose husband actually signed their death warrants for jobs going overseas. Political Spin and negative campaigning will do it I guess.

Obama...continue your positive campaign and don't stoop to the tactics of the Clinton machine. But, if you do mention Bill and Hilliary's connection with the Peter Paul scandall over mismanagement of contributions well over $2 million dollars. They wrote letters to the man then denied ever receiving any.

I will not vote for the Clintons if they are nominated!!!!!!!!!

As a Democrat I'd rather vote for McCain.

March 5, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  4. Jay G.

I voted for you in the Ohio primary, Hillary; however, if you win the nomination and select Obama to run with you, I will vote for John McCain (I will not just 'not vote'). I have a feeling, though, that it might not matter who we elect. Each one of them will probably end up screwing us over. : (

March 5, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  5. Chris

I like how these older people tell us younger voters to listen to you...you know better? Really? 8 years of Bush is knowing better? Uh, let me help you out, it's not. Young people are well informed, don't discount us b/c of our age.

March 5, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  6. HangingontoHope

I have been touting this so-called "dream ticket" for a long time, and will continue to do so. Ideally, I would like to see Clinton/Obama for 8 years, and then Obama/? for the next 8. 16 virtually guaranteed years of policy changes and getting this country back on track...nothing to sneeze at.

So Clinton makes you sick, huh? Have you EVER followed politics at all??? Her "attacks" are EXTREMELY tame (and purposefully so) compared to what the Conservatives will do with EITHER of them. People that post that they want change (aka Obama or nothing) then say that they will vote McCain, or not at all...please explain how either of these moves would support your ideal of change? THIS type of thinking is what makes ME sick. I GUARANTEE you that I will support any of the scenarios (Clinton/Obama, Obama/Clinton, Clinton/?, Obama/?) that would keep the Conservatives out of their throne room.

I also do not think that an extended campaign is a bad thing for either candidate or the Democratic party. I would like to see both candidates start taking more shots at McCain throughout the remainder of their respective races though. In the meantime, this totally pushes McCain back to the shadows, while the Democratic candidates get the opportunity to soak up the press and present their arguments to the country. Give the system time to work, and relax people. I've never seen so many so willing to circumvent the very system that they supposedly support due to some sort of campaign trail jitters. Both candidates will come through this tougher, better prepared, and on top of their games...neither will get bloodied enough by the other to lose to the absolute status quo in the general election (unless of course people of our party really do decide to "pick up their toys and go home" – pathetic and asinine imho).

Pull it together folks. Get your popcorn ready, get people involved, STAY involved, and have some fun...let's enjoy being a part of history.

DEMOCRATS '08 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 5, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  7. dmrs1

No way would I vote for Hillary now. If Hillary is anywhere on the democratic ticket, not only will I vote for McCain, I will campaign for him!

March 5, 2008 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  8. Joeny Bui

I think this is where it's going to head because this makes more sense then most people think....

Barack could unite the peope (so he should be president) and Hiliary could move Congress as VP (Senate Leader) and she could focus on the one true thing she believes in – and that is healthcare.

And in both case it would be the first black and femal as President/Vice President.

March 5, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  9. Luz

Obama's tactics are questionable, they just don't get the media scrutiny that Hillary 's do. His mailings, his accusations of her being divisive and a member of the "establishment", like she is a bushie or something like that. Like his supporters Kenedy and Kerry are not part of that same "establishment" . Hillary has always worked for every day americans and will continue do so. She is the role model for truly caring about people. He and his campaign are to quick too dismiss the very very good tihngs that her husband and her have done for this country and our people. I don't like Obama one bit since he has decided to get ahead of his headlights.

So now they say she is claiming the possibility of a dream ticket to help herslef? Sounds to me that he could make the same claim and would help himself as well. He is too proud of himself to do that, too "good" for her ? too much of an egomaniac then I would say. Him and his supporters think that he is some sort of a demi-god and how dare could they could get mixed with the rest of us!. His wife thinks that people can even deify him!!!!

I would rather not see Obama as VP candidate with Hillary, but if it helps the country, so be it.

March 5, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  10. Haighter

MODERATORS: Why does it seem like ALL my comments have been "Awaiting Moderation" in perpetuity!? Is it because I sign them "Haighter"? You ARE aware that those of us living in The Haight neighborhood in San Francisco call ourselves Haighters, right? Anyhow, I hope you're not thinking I am a Hater instead of a Haighter.

March 5, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  11. Steve

March 5th, 2008 10:16 am ET

wisdom comes with age,
    obamanite children,
    listen to your elders,
    if you ever listened to them, now is the time to listen closely?
    a shared ticket Clinton/obama = probable 16 years of dem.service,
    remember, judges, it's time for the age of wisdom.

We have been listening to our elders for years, why do you think we are in the mess we are in now. I am done listening to old people who think they are better than young people.

March 5, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  12. kfernandez

a joint tickets possible is the only way to the white house, but it's unlikely. For me, I refuse to vote if Obama is not head of the ticket.

March 5, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  13. Margaret

I must start off saying that I am really disappointed in the citizens of the United States. We have complained every year about the candidates criticizing each other to get ahead and yet they voted for Hillary Clinton who did that very thing to Obama. I admire him for not stooping to her level. If she is the Democratic nominee I will be forced to vote Republican and if she and Obama run together I also will have to vote Republican. I think that if Huckabee runs with McCain than McCain will have a better chance of winning the Presidency. I really don't think that Hillary Clinton has what America needs to run our country. And as far as her pulling up dirt on Obama it doesn't make me like him any less but definitely her a lot less.

March 5, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  14. c from o

GLAD TO SEE PEOPLE FOCUSING ON ITHE ISSUES IN SPITE OF ALL THE MEDIA HOOP-LAH YOU GO GIRL!

March 5, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  15. Angela

I am an African-American woman who is a Hillary Clinton supporter but I also like Obama. A Clinton/Obama ticket is music to my ears! I think this will be a SURE WIN in November. We have to do what is right for the Democratic party.

March 5, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  16. Tim Hotel

Dream ticket is right. As in, keep on dreaming Hilly Billy. Obama has won in all the major centre's. In the counties around Cincinatti (61%) Columbus (56%) and Cleveland (53%) as well as around Austin (63%) Dallas (62%) and Houston (56%).
    Obama is about 100 ahead, and it looks like the best chance to turn the tide (Ohio and Texas) failed. Barring the press getting some "real dirt" on Obama, he stands a good chance to win.
    The main issue becomes Iraq. 60% of America's fuel is from the middle East. That and almost 4000 body bags say: We ain't leaving. It may not have been a clever decision to start, but we can't leave untill it is 'stable'. Sorry. And that is something both Obama and Obama Mama have to get used to.

March 5, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  17. Asian's from Obama to Hillary

Actions speak louder than words.
    Obama, I changed my vote to Hillary. You need more moe experience.

March 5, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  18. ATL

I think the hint of Hillary entertaining the idea of an Obama as a running mate is a bit pre-mature. Yes she's just off the heals of a couple of major victories, but I say let's get the nomination first. Personally I think this a political ploy by Hillary! She needs Obama more so than Obama needs her. Besides who's ahead now, anyway?

March 5, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  19. Rhonda

After seeing how underhanded Hillary can get, and has gotten while in her husbands administration (it's very public knowledge for anyone that wants to take an honest look), how anyone in good conscious, anyone that truly wants *CHANGE* in Washington, could vote for her is beyond my comprehension. She is the EPITOME of Washington.

While her snakey underhanded dealings might make her the equivalent of a Cheney – she should NEVER be given an opportunity to run this country – the world would never forgive us in the long run. And she would destroy any chances of Obama ever being given a chance to be President.

March 5, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  20. Giuseppe

Either way this is historic. The leader of the Free World will either be a woman or an african. The two together will be a dream team no matter who is on top of the ticket. I think they can work together and really benefit from eachothers stregnths and experience. They will move us in the direction we need to go. As Democrats our main focus is making sure that we ask our canidates to move into that direction after the next primary. We need solidarity and unity in the party and more importantly to go out, and vote. We can not simply just not vote because our particular favorite didnt get the ticket, this is what the Republicans bank on. If you are satisified having the country going in the direction it currently is then opting not to vote or voting for McCain is what you will have to do. If you want to see and be part of change support both canidates and incourage them to do what is right for the party and what will be right for the people. Lets get these Republicans out!

March 5, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  21. Gonzalo

A Clinton-Obama or Obama-Clinton ticket is the only way to go. Clinton always takes the Latino vote and traditional democratic bases, Obama is getting the youth vote and takes the African American vote. None of them have shown to be able to crack each others base consistently. This needs to be done by April 22. Obama will win Wyoming and Mississippi but than lose Pennsylvania and than we will be exactly where we are today except McCain will have had a 6-week headstart. Also what's so wrong with a dream ticket, especially if it will not only unify the Democratic party but possibly America.

March 5, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  22. Ron Frederick

Everyone get over it. Clinton-Obama or Obama-Clinton. Who cares.
    Just so we can get America back on the right track.

March 5, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  23. John Karsten

As much as I can not stand Queen Hill Bill, I guess that is where this thing is headed. I only hope that barrack is on top. I really do not care who is the POTUS or VPOTUS, I just want my party to come together and win this freaking thing. I will revolt if the GOP wins this year! I have read many blogs through out the year, and people on both sides claim that they will vote for McCain if one or the other get the nod. This is beyond me as to your thinking. Why would you cut your nose off of your face to spite someone? If you people who say this and really do this, then we are IN REAL TROUBLE. The whole point of this season is for the country to decide who their candiate is. I have come to understand that if the QUEEN gets it, then I have to vote for her because I hate GOP more than I hate HER. Please re-think about your decision to vote for the bad guys just to spite someone, not wise decision making skills people!!!!!!!

March 5, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  24. ernest

I think that would be the ideal ticket Hillary/ Obama now that would be a change for sure in the white house hopefully they would try and unite this country again. We all need some kind of change at least give it a try for 4 years.....We have had 8 years of nothing not working.....

March 5, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |