March 5th, 2008

Clinton: This may be headed to a joint ticket

Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.
Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.

(CNN) – The morning after primary wins in Ohio, Texas, and Rhode Island, Hillary Clinton said she would consider being part of a Democratic “dream ticket” that would include both her and presidential rival Barack Obama.

"That may be where this is headed,” she told the CBS Early Show during a marathon set of appearances on the network morning news shows. “But of course we have to decide who is on the top of ticket. I think the people of Ohio very clearly said that it should be me."

The New York senator has made the claim before. Last month, in one of several interviews where she said the scenario was a possibility, she told a Vibe interviewer: “Of course there is (a chance of a joint ticket). Of course there is. Now neither of us will answer this question because we don’t want to look presumptuous and premature. But it is more than fair to say that — of course there is.”

While Clinton has said a joint ticket is possible, the Obama team has largely avoided making similar statements. Some of the Illinois senator’s campaign surrogates have said they believe the claims benefit Clinton because they may convince Democratic voters drawn to the Illinois senator that a vote for her is essentially a vote for both of them - or a vote for him to head the ballot in eight years, after she has had her two terms on top of the ticket.

Primary season rivals who have successfully shared a presidential ticket after tough nominating fights include Democrats John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson, and Republicans Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. lovepolisci

If they ran together I'm be VERY HAPPY...be it Obama/Hilary or Hilary/Obama!

March 5, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  2. Judy

For Clinton to even remark that a joint ticket is quite presumptous! She wins Ohio and makes that her platform for being the next Democratic Presidential Nominee! While we are at it, how about McCain ... I find it ridiculous that all of the media is announcing that he made a "Clean Sweep" .. What's that? Although Huckabee was campaigning, it was after all McCain versus McCain!

March 5, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  3. Gmoney

I cannot in good conscience support Hillary as president. I'm sorry, but even if Obama for some reason doesn't win, and he's the VP candidate, I can't vote for Clinton without feeling like a hypocrite for opposing Karl Rove's tactics for six years.

March 5, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  4. Glenn, Cary, NC

It's obvious now. Barack Obama should withdraw from the race. A graceful exit at this point would make it possible for Senator Clinton to choose him for her running mate and unite the party. It' up to Obama now to do the right thing.

March 5, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  5. Eddie

Ah, dare I dream it? I really admire both candidates. Clinton/Obama have been uttered so much together it already sounds like a bumper sticker. He won't pick her, but if she picked him it would be the smartest political move since Kennedy/Johnson.

March 5, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  6. NC

As a white woman, if she puts that black man on her ticket I will vote for Mccain. Hillary doesn't need the black vote.

March 5, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  7. Alas

I don’t see that possibility, after all the negatives campaign of the past days on what happened and what did not. Wishful thinking….

March 5, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  8. Hillary 08

Sure, let him be the VP. He can be Pres in 8 more years.

Also, can someone tell me why the people in Texas get 2 votes per person? Who made that rule?

March 5, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  9. Martha

Heck NO!! Trash that woman in a split second. This is her latest comment further proving that she is out to destroy her party.
    “I think you'll be able to imagine many things Senator McCain will be able to say,” she said. “He’s never been the president, but he will put forth his lifetime of experience. I will put forth my lifetime of experience. Senator Obama will put forth a speech he made in 2002.”

Get rid of her quickly.

March 5, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  10. Rick, Maryland

I don't know about this one, he as vice president might try to show
    her up, he's too arrogant.
    He's looking out for number 1, himself, I just don't trust him.

March 5, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  11. Tracie

Go Hillary..... You got my vote

March 5, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  12. Matt

Who's dreams contain this ticket.. not mine.

March 5, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  13. Jim, American in Paris

I can think of much better running mates than Obama, unless of course the Democrats are worried about winning small states with few electoral college delegates.

Victory will be yours in November Hillary!!!

March 5, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  14. marc from indiana

Dream? Nightmare would be more like it. The only thing that this would do is guarantee the traditional democrat states. Same old losing proposition. How can she overcome his inexperience if she is in the VP slot? How can he overcome her negatives if he is in the VP slot?

March 5, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  15. Michael

Oh, please do, Hillary. McCain will beat you like a drum. And, Barack, if you do this, you'll lose every bit of respect you've built for yourself–by aligning yourself with this venal woman.

March 5, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  16. Fred

WHO GAVE YOU NAFTA OHIO. Go out side and look around see what the Clintons have done for already.

March 5, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  17. Mac in Tampa

The ticket needs to be Clinton/Obama. With this as the combination the Democrats will win in November. If Obama is the nominee, I don't think Clinton will be the VP on the ticket, and many Hillary supporters will take a closer look at McCain. Obama is not the right guy at this time.

Superdelegates – take note!

March 5, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  18. Tomi

I will not be voting in November at all if this is the case.

March 5, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  19. Linda Li

The best thing that Hillary could do if she wins the nomination is pick Obama as her VP.

The worst thing that Obama could do if he wins the nomination is pick Hillary as his VP.

March 5, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  20. ABC

If Barack does not win the Democrtic Primary he should run for Governor of Illinois.

Hillary "the ready on day one Commander-in-Chief" will lose to John McCain, the real-deal no phony endorsements required in November and no amount of spin will change that!

ABC '08

March 5, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  21. Orlando from Sevile, Spain, Europe

And what about the people outside Ohio? Doesn't they count?

March 5, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  22. LeRoy

Hillary obviously wants to close this out before she releases her tax filing which will show some serious issues-other than that she'd have already filed.

Obama would be crazy to take her as VP or become her VP. She has a lot of baggage and if he signs on with her-he'll be tarred with the same fleather.

It's time for Obama to start attacking Clinton and bury her

March 5, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  23. kcohio

I don't see the Dems taking the White House without the dream ticket at this point the the election game.

March 5, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  24. pete

Clinton/Obama 2008

now thats a winning ticket.

lets keep it this way and then have 8 years of a more seasoned Obama afterwards

March 5, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  25. Brendose, Oceanside CA

Honestly, I don't think Obama would go for it. And Hillary is pretty arrogant, thinking she would be the President. Get a lead first, then talk about being on top! I'm so sick of her!!! I hope Obama wins so then he can pick a REAL VP and leave the Clintons in the dust.

If she wins, I'm voting for McCain.

March 5, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |