March 5th, 2008

Clinton: This may be headed to a joint ticket

Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.
Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.

(CNN) – The morning after primary wins in Ohio, Texas, and Rhode Island, Hillary Clinton said she would consider being part of a Democratic “dream ticket” that would include both her and presidential rival Barack Obama.

"That may be where this is headed,” she told the CBS Early Show during a marathon set of appearances on the network morning news shows. “But of course we have to decide who is on the top of ticket. I think the people of Ohio very clearly said that it should be me."

The New York senator has made the claim before. Last month, in one of several interviews where she said the scenario was a possibility, she told a Vibe interviewer: “Of course there is (a chance of a joint ticket). Of course there is. Now neither of us will answer this question because we don’t want to look presumptuous and premature. But it is more than fair to say that — of course there is.”

While Clinton has said a joint ticket is possible, the Obama team has largely avoided making similar statements. Some of the Illinois senator’s campaign surrogates have said they believe the claims benefit Clinton because they may convince Democratic voters drawn to the Illinois senator that a vote for her is essentially a vote for both of them - or a vote for him to head the ballot in eight years, after she has had her two terms on top of the ticket.

Primary season rivals who have successfully shared a presidential ticket after tough nominating fights include Democrats John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson, and Republicans Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. TG

Why is the media not going after actions rather than words?
    Where is the CLINTON TAX RETURN???????

March 5, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  2. NIC

Big wins for Hillary yesterday, joint ticket is inevitable. Both sides will spin, but both know if things continue like this, its increasingly likely to see that happening. It's split, so after all said and done, after the smoke clears, what else of a way to bring the democratic party together. Clinton/Obama or Obama/Clinton. A good match to battle McCain in the Fall. I guess we'll see.

March 5, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  3. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

This joint won't smoke, composed of both Democratic unelectables. The party's Death Wish just won't die.

March 5, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  4. JB Oakland

If Obama pulls the nomination off, he'll be wise to say no to Hilary, and choose a Biden or Richardson.

If Hilary wins the nomination, she needs him as her VP.

March 5, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  5. Thomas

Haha. A dream ticket? I hardly call the choices for president in this election to be a dream, it's more of a nightmare. The only person I can think of that is worse for the position than the people running is the person currently occupying the office. Have our standards been dropped too low after Bush? Or does the corporate media have a hand in nudging more qualified candidates out of the spotlight/race in favor of candidates who either accepted more money or simply because they make for a more sensationalist story?

I'm going to write in santa claus on my voting ballot, he is less fake than these two candidates.

March 5, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  6. Mike Birmingham, AL

(cajun accent)

You can do it!

March 5, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  7. June (California Voter)

Some Americans will say yes to this and some no.
    I myself think it will be neat to have both in the same ticket.
    I don't care who is at the top of the ticket,I like them both.

March 5, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  8. American in Canada

NO! NO! NO! DO NOT DO THIS!!!!! Just run as an independant. I just cannot see her face besides you. PLEASE!!!!! You're just not the same kind of people.

Thanks to CNN (Clinton News Network) for the sabotage of those primaries. You got what you wanted...(I KNOW YOU WON'T POST THIS..)

To Hillary supporters, do you you really think that the BO people will vote for that woman in the fall? This movement that you hate so much is for BO and they won't go for her...And do you really think that ANY REPUBLICANS OR INDEPENDANTS will vote for her? Please answer those questions? Well, as much as I hate it, McCain will be the next president. All those people that Hillary's supporters are putting down will make sure of it...It's a shame...It would be nice for once to see new politics. I travel a lot and people around the world were starting to think that, maybe, they were wrong about this country because of BO...I guess America is still the America it was for the last 8 years!!!

March 5, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  9. carlos

she is not going to be the nominee and she knows that....she needs to win EVERY STATE and that is just a wishful thinking.........Even with her kitchen sink politics she couldn't get enough votes to beat Obama so if she wants to be in that ticket,she'll be a great vice president......

March 5, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  10. HC

And Hillary stated:

Don't think that votes of only the people of Ohio can decide this. If we look at what all voters have said than it's clear that mr. Obama should be on the top of that ticket.

Winning a battle doesn't mean that the war is also in the bag. Look at the total delegates every candidate has and it's clear.

March 5, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  11. B. Smart

I would even settle for this idea. At least it would be fair. Because the minute Hillary Clinton tries cheat with the help of Michigan's racist democratic ploy to seat the ill gotten delegates, there will be so many
    African Americans switching to McCain that he will become designated
    as the second "african-american president. At least then, it will be proven
    that he is more honest than Clinton.

OBAMA 08.

March 5, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  12. Mary

I can only speak for myself, but there is no way I would vote for Clinton even with Obama as her running mate. She used negative ads and relied on the obvious racism in Ohio and Texas to win these last states....she has lost any resepct that she had. If Clinton is the nominee...I will either abstain or vote for McCain. Congrats Clinton you may win the nomination at all costs...but it will just mean another Republican in the White House.

March 5, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  13. Sylvester

This may well be the best option for Democrats. Fighting all the way to the convention will almost certainly ensure defeat by the Republicans.

I think it is time for neutral "elders" in the Democratic party to talk to Senators Obama and Clinton about a joint ticket. The difficulty is, of course, that it is difficult to be a Vice President under Senator Clinton. It may doom the political future of a VP: you can't be sure what scandals will emerge under the Clintons. There is never one Clinton.

March 5, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  14. Jen, Gainesville

No, I will not vote for any ticket with Clinton.

March 5, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  15. Curliss

Hillary has just proven she is presidential material...by saying she wouldn't rule out a dream ticket with Obama. Way to go Hillary! I wonder if Obama is man enough to agree ? Is he a divider or uniter ? Its now time for Obama to step-up and look at the true value of his delegates...he won mostly red states...and not enough blue ones. Hillary has definitely the electoral vote advantage....and thats not including Florida and Michigan.

March 5, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  16. Brian G, Sugar Land, TX

I have to admit, at first I wasn't really sure about any combination of the "dream ticket". But the more I think about it, and the more I realize how necessary it is to eject the Republicans, I could support a "dream ticket".

It seems with such close Democratic primaries and near delegate counts, that the rest of America might too.

March 5, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  17. Alex Mackin

It's about time she announced this properly. She would sweep the rug from under him. Both of them on the ticket, with her on top: Unstoppable.

March 5, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  18. California Independent

This comes up every time. This is a tired line by tired pundits. If you are going to have the discussion, at least point out that exit polls last night showed a huge uptick in dissatisfaction with the other candidate. There is a growing number of people who will not vote for the other candidate. It was every so slightly higher on the Clinton side this time. I'm not sure whether people just feel Obama isn't ready or if they are turned off by supporters.

March 5, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  19. A. Harrison

It may be for the best. However, CLINTON must have the role of President. OBAMA VP.

March 5, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  20. David

Absolutely not...Winning Ohio by negative campaigning and using last moment dirty tricks will not make her a better candidate.
    More American want a real change, with a vision of unity and changing course, want Obama president...
    If she is the president, I will vote NADER, even if Obama agreed to be on her ticket as VP...

March 5, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  21. Roman, Philadelphia

Absolutely not after the way she's run this campaign. Keep wishing, it's not going to happen.

March 5, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  22. KMAN

I must question Hillary's sense of democracy and rationale ... she see ms to think that only states that "lean her way" are the only ones that shouldcount. If this is democracy ... then by all means let's just count "her states" and to hell with the pledged delegate count and anyone that didn't vote for her. It's quite obvious why she is such a entity in American politics.

March 5, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  23. Pat

after listening to Obama speak yesterday I ask myself-how can people not vote for this man-what do I know-I'm Canadian

March 5, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  24. Bukky, Baltimore

Would she really be vice to Obama though? Would Obama want her as vice?

March 5, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  25. Sam

Unfortunately Ms. Clinton, Ohio isn't the only state in the union!

March 5, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |