March 5th, 2008

Clinton: This may be headed to a joint ticket

Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.
Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.

(CNN) – The morning after primary wins in Ohio, Texas, and Rhode Island, Hillary Clinton said she would consider being part of a Democratic “dream ticket” that would include both her and presidential rival Barack Obama.

"That may be where this is headed,” she told the CBS Early Show during a marathon set of appearances on the network morning news shows. “But of course we have to decide who is on the top of ticket. I think the people of Ohio very clearly said that it should be me."

The New York senator has made the claim before. Last month, in one of several interviews where she said the scenario was a possibility, she told a Vibe interviewer: “Of course there is (a chance of a joint ticket). Of course there is. Now neither of us will answer this question because we don’t want to look presumptuous and premature. But it is more than fair to say that — of course there is.”

While Clinton has said a joint ticket is possible, the Obama team has largely avoided making similar statements. Some of the Illinois senator’s campaign surrogates have said they believe the claims benefit Clinton because they may convince Democratic voters drawn to the Illinois senator that a vote for her is essentially a vote for both of them - or a vote for him to head the ballot in eight years, after she has had her two terms on top of the ticket.

Primary season rivals who have successfully shared a presidential ticket after tough nominating fights include Democrats John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson, and Republicans Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. rabblerouser

Hillary would be smart enough to use Obama's skills to the benefit of everyone. I doubt, however, that he would be smart enough to use hers, if the situation is reversed. That shows that she's politically savvy and he's politically naive.

March 5, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  2. Trina in New Mexico

As an Obama supporter, if they are on the same ticket, I'd vote for McCain. He won 11 in a row. She won 3 out of 4. The media has already crowned her. They're already asking her about running mates! Unbelievable.

March 5, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  3. maya

This would be good–but notice how Obama won't talk about this (if it is reverse). It seems that they both deserve it and it troubles me that Obama won't consider...

March 5, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  4. Sean Whitworth

VP??? Obama if the Clinton's and the party establishment rob you and the people of this nomination run as an independent candidate.

March 5, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  5. diana

Its sad to see how the news was so eager to brag about how obama outspent hillary 2:1 and to still lose buy a large amount shows hillary is about to clean house.

This is a mans world I know I am a female contractor and I am having as much trouble as hillary just trying to be accepted by men in their what they presume to be their world

March 5, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  6. Jether J.

Sure, I have no problem with that as long as Obama is President and Hillary is Vice President.

Obama '08!

March 5, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  7. LeRoy

I think it should be Hillary/Obamo because in my opinion shes the one with better judgement...If you people is gonna say her judgement on the war then u should ask about Obamos judgement on doing business with that crook in chicago after he knew the guy was under investigation..You can look at it anyway you want to but when it comes down to just plain sense Hillary is better quailified to be a better president.

March 5, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  8. Slap Stick, FLORIDA

I agree this would be a dream ticket. I just don't agree with her on who should be on top of the ticket. I feel that the America people are speaking and they do not have her listed ahead of him in the popular vote as in the lead.

Therefore, the dream ticket should read Presidential Candidate: Obama & VP: Hilliary

DEMS 08

March 5, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  9. lowland

This is more of a shying away of the idea She is basically saying.."when i am the nominee I will think about obama but you must elect me first." Love it. Go clinton. People need to stop asking her to drop out or saying she is destroying the party. They are only 100 ish delegates apart. This is going to the convention as it should because with out super delegates neither obama nor clinton have enough for the nominee. Stop shutting the door in front of her before she even gets there.

March 5, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  10. KMAN

I must question Hillary's sense of democracy and rationale … she seems to think that only states that "lean her way" are the only ones that should count. If this is democracy … then by all means let's just count "her states" and to hell with the pledged delegate count and anyone that didn't vote for her. It's quite obvious why she is such a devisive entity in American politics.

March 5, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  11. Mike

1 state "OHIO" is not the USA to declare your fit for president. Ohio is not the majority of our population. If that was the fact then our government had really went down the drain. Guess that is why Hillary is saying it. She already put this country down the drain a few times.

March 5, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  12. Robert Pitcher

The "dream team"? You bet. Either candidate on top of ticket would be acceptable, but the suggestion that Senator Clinton leading the ticket makes most sense, and it will give us dems and the country 16 years of progressive government!

March 5, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  13. TransparentTrollop

Of course, President Hillary will not need to choose VP Obama. And VP Hillary will only happen in a last ditch effort at resurecting a positive legacy for herself. The dems can't win without her in Nov, in her own mind..

March 5, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  14. Mela

That would be wonderful but of course, I think Hillary should lead the ticket because he's such a young man. He's not ready for the top spot anyway. I think the Republicans would cream him (remember Kerry?) She's tougher, smarter, has more guts and won't break as easily under that Republican vileness. She's been vetted.

March 5, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  15. kevin

Unless Hillary Clinton makes that joint ticket statement, in a court of law, with a hand on the bible, on national t.v., I won't don't believe that it is truly what she wants.

March 5, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  16. matt

I feel a joint ticket Pres: Clinton Vice Pres Obama would be nice..
    The other way around.. doesnt work for me .. instead ... i would probably have to vote Mccain and ____ whoever

March 5, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  17. Manuel TX

I would vote for Clinton/Obama. :)

If Obama is the nominee however, I don't see his team offering the VP slot to Hillary, and that would be a mistake.

March 5, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  18. Illinois

No doubt! Hillary should be president for the US

March 5, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  19. Rodney Dallas TX

I'd like to see a Clinton/Obama ticket. I'd actually consider voting for an Obama/Clinton ticket. However, if Clinton does not make the list, Obama will NOT have my vote. He will need her in order to win the large states. He has lost all 4 major states in the country that carry the most electoral votes (i.e. Texas, California, New York, and Florida)

March 5, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  20. Colo

YEAH that is the only way Clinton will have a sure chance at clinching the Election in November against McCain!!!

Clinton/Obama 08!!!!!!!– I would rather perfer it the other way around though. But this will do.

Obama 08!!!!

March 5, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  21. McLauren

I am an Obama supporter but if the democratic party must win in November they need a joint ticket with both candidates.

I dont think John McCain can stand a combined ticket. I feel there should be an agreement as to how the top runner should be decided.

They both need to be on the dream ticket and this should be done early enough.

March 5, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  22. Adam, Pittsburgh

Pretty presumptuous for her to insinuate that the guy who is *ahead* of her (and will remain ahead of her, even if she takes Pennsylvania) should be her vice president. Desperate.

March 5, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  23. Patricia in NH

Obama supporters would never compromise their integrity. We've watched her disgusting lack of it unfold before our eyes. If she manages to steal the nomination and asks Obama to share the ticket, we will not vote for Hillary. Under any circumstances. She needs him. He does not need her... Mr. McCain will be President.

March 5, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  24. VB Lincoln Park NJ

That would be OK with me, as long as it helps avoid four more years of the policies of the worst president in this country's history.

People must remember about the Congressional elections in November as well.

March 5, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  25. Dave

Karl Rove was on fox news this morning praising Clinton and her tactics against Obama. He was defending her record and blasting Obama. I guess she is one of the good old boys after all.

March 5, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |