March 5th, 2008

Clinton: This may be headed to a joint ticket

Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.
Clinton said Wednesday the race may result in a joint ticket.

(CNN) – The morning after primary wins in Ohio, Texas, and Rhode Island, Hillary Clinton said she would consider being part of a Democratic “dream ticket” that would include both her and presidential rival Barack Obama.

"That may be where this is headed,” she told the CBS Early Show during a marathon set of appearances on the network morning news shows. “But of course we have to decide who is on the top of ticket. I think the people of Ohio very clearly said that it should be me."

The New York senator has made the claim before. Last month, in one of several interviews where she said the scenario was a possibility, she told a Vibe interviewer: “Of course there is (a chance of a joint ticket). Of course there is. Now neither of us will answer this question because we don’t want to look presumptuous and premature. But it is more than fair to say that — of course there is.”

While Clinton has said a joint ticket is possible, the Obama team has largely avoided making similar statements. Some of the Illinois senator’s campaign surrogates have said they believe the claims benefit Clinton because they may convince Democratic voters drawn to the Illinois senator that a vote for her is essentially a vote for both of them - or a vote for him to head the ballot in eight years, after she has had her two terms on top of the ticket.

Primary season rivals who have successfully shared a presidential ticket after tough nominating fights include Democrats John Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson, and Republicans Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

– CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. Al, Sacramento Ca

It's the way for the Democrats stay united. Unless Obama is to arrogant to accept a VP.

Clinton-Obama, no chance for the Republicans.

Hillary 08

March 5, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  2. t-bone

What are you hiding Hillary? Release your 2006 returns now so we can see who is really funding your campaign.

I guess it would show that Slick Willy is up to his old tricks.

March 5, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  3. Diane

Hillary, that's selling yourself for the sake of getting a Dem elected.
    There's another word for a woman who sells herself.

Don't even think about it.

March 5, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  4. Boogie

I think this is great for the Dems...people are learning whether they like it or not, more and more about the process...if you don't like this process...we now know we have the power to change it.
    I think caucuses will soon be a thing of the past...maybe if we're lucky...delegates will too.
    Most votes wins...THAT is an idea that unites us...because instead of being Texans or, Ohians...we are Americans and each vote counts.

March 5, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  5. Jackie

Dream ticket indeed...I'd vote for both–but if it's just Obama I may vote McCain-as sad is that is...

March 5, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  6. Kelley

I hope not, I don't want to see Obama tarnished by her dirty politics, and what will be the failure of the democratic party if she is the nominee

March 5, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  7. lola Planner, Houston, Texas

Don't do it Barak!

March 5, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  8. Jesse - San Antonio TX

If she clinches the nominition she will be pressured to place him on the ticket.

If he clinches the nomination he won't be. And quite frankly he won't select her. Too much dislike.

I personally feel that if she gets the nom, she shouldn't pick him.
    She should pick Gov. Richardson, Wesley Clark or Senator Biden.

March 5, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  9. Texan

Sounds good if Obama/Clinton

March 5, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  10. Mimi

A true dream ticket is Obama/Clinton!!!!!

The other way around will not suffice.

OBAMA IN 08~~all the way to the white house!

March 5, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  11. James

Unbelievable!

HIllary won 3 states yesterday. 2 weeks ago she had a 20% margin in TX & Ohio. She lost ground in Ohio (down to 10%) while it was almost a push in TX.

Obama still has the lead and is still gaining momentum and she is gracious enough to offer him a spot on the ticket as VP?

March 5, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  12. She's losing and she's grasping...

Hillary – Don't grab Barack's coat tail, just go away!

March 5, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  13. Melissa

I hope they run together, because I'm hard pressed to vote for her otherwise.

March 5, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  14. Marcia, Marcia, Marcia in CA

YES, she DID!!!!!

March 5, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  15. Marie,

Hope not..........

March 5, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  16. Lamps

Sleeping with the enemy. Where's the principles?

You want a dream ticket?
    McCain/Pawlenty or McCain/Huckabee. Now thats a dream ticket.

March 5, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  17. CHANGE IS COMING

"I think the people of Ohio very clearly said that it should be me."

Ok and how about all the other States....ooops, I forgot, they don't mean anything to Clinton.

And put a spin on this .... Obama has more delegates.

Obama '08

March 5, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  18. Clare

No way should Obama even consider that if he does not get teh nomination. this is for her advantage not his. she just wants his voters and his ability to organize.

March 5, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  19. Corinna

Obama as President, Hillary as Vice. I think she is hoping for more opportunities to back stab him while he is in office. Ewww.

March 5, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  20. larry

Obama would not lower himself to be on the ticket with that scumball.

March 5, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  21. Hammej

Wow!!!! Hillary, when Malcom X said by any means necessary he didn't mean it in that way. I guess if you can't have it no one else can. I couldn't believe that people are that naive, to fall for such lies. Why is it that Hillary would not release her tax returns and give us access of her records of her 35 years experience that is siting in the Clinton Presidential Libray? Why? Why?

March 5, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  22. Waaaiit a minute

Nice try Hillary. You need Obama more than he needs you. And frankly, I wouldnt want to be second VP (the first being Bill Clinton) if I were him. It will be a mistake for Obama to accept in my opinion.

March 5, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  23. Brian

I will never vote for Clinton. Barack Obama has conducted himself and his campaign with sincerity, integrity, intelligence, honor and grace. He showed that again in his remarks last night.

It's a shame that large numbers of people in our country continue to fall for the kind of dirty politics Clinton's campaign relies upon.

If my fellow democrats aren't smart enough to reject this kind of politicking, then we don't deserve to take back the White House in November.

March 5, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  24. Sandi

The correct phrase is "As Maine goes, so goes the nation". The phrase described Maine's reputation as a bellwether state for presidential elections. Hillary, you have got your phrases mixed up – Your comment attributing this to Ohio is incorrect.

March 5, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  25. I am Canadian

I'd love to see Hilary & Obama put their ego's in check and put forth a dream ticket. The USA needs these two bright minds. Obama is young enough that after four years he can run for president. The US presidency has never looked better with these two.

March 5, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |