March 5th, 2008

Schneider: Clinton's Ohio win

(CNN) – How did Clinton win Ohio? The exit polls show three areas where she clearly bested Obama.

Seniors:
Clinton's backbone of support came through: She beat Obama big (73-24) among voters 65 and over. Obama won by a similar margin among 18-24 year olds, but those voters only made up 7 percent of the voters while seniors made up 14 percent.

Economic worries:
Roughly 80 percent of voters said they were worried about their financial situation and Clinton carried this group by 5 points. It appears her aggressive standing on NAFTA and her pledges to revive Ohio's economy may have paid off. Roughly 70 percent of Ohio voters also said Clinton has a clear plan to fix the country's problems, while 57 percent said the same for Obama.

Late deciders:
Clinton beat Obama among those voters who decided in the last three days by a wide 20-point margin. Among those voters who decided more than three days ago, she beat Obama by only 10 points – a clear sign Clinton picked up steam in the closing days of the campaign.

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. jaya

I think the handwriting is on the wall; America will not see change. Although I suuport Obama – I believe that Hillary will get the nomination – when she wins Penn – despite the delegate count I believe there will be great pressure for Obama to pull out. Hillary vs McCain will be down and dirty. So for the Country's sake I hope Hillary can withstand the unrelenting attacks. Tax returns, court battles in Ca, you name it they will sling it. I just hope after Obama surrenders his base will not say I have had it same old story and stay home.

March 5, 2008 05:09 am at 5:09 am |
  2. Brandon

What's this I see? All the Obama fan boys/girls seem a little worried. I guess your hero isn't the unstoppable force you all thought he was. If you all opened your eyes a little wider you would see that he is running against a candidate that will actually get things done: that candidate of course is Hillary Clinton. They can make up all the excuses they want about Clinton using fear mongering or whatever, but the reality is that people are opening their eyes and realizing that things won't get done by a speech that is made over and over and over and over again. Things WILL get done by someone who has the experience and the intelligence to put their ideas into effect. Most of the Obama supporters are just a bunch of people who jumped onto his band wagon when the media started a love affair with him. Well, all of the people that switched their support to him are regretting their decision now, I'll bet. I am proud to say that I never lost faith in Hillary Clinton and I am behind her 100%. Obama's fan club can cry all they want, these were big victories for Clinton and they obviously know it. Otherwise, they wouldn't be complaining so much right now.

Hillary Clinton for 2008 and 2012

March 5, 2008 05:10 am at 5:10 am |
  3. Terry

Obama would get slaughtered in the general election. He couldn't float by saying nothing except spout off the word change 1000 times and expect the republicans to do nothing. Hillary is the only real choice.

March 5, 2008 05:11 am at 5:11 am |
  4. Juan Carlos(Vegas)

LOL, JAJaJa I said she is a fighter. Who are the loser tonight, no,no is not Obama, is the media yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa I turned on my TV and I saw long, long faces JAJAJAJA,LOL,LOL Matthews and Keith could not believe it. Whst is going to happen when the republican start attacking him, Obama does not know how to respond. CORRUPT MEDIA do your job, let the American people decide.

March 5, 2008 05:12 am at 5:12 am |
  5. Barbara

Hillary Clinton claimed 1 year ago she was the dem nom, and then came a fresh face with the ability to unite everyone to come together as one.
    Barack Obama is in this race to change the OLD politics. He has demonstrated the high ground in his campaign, even as Hillary and company have done every dirty ( old school ) trick to sway voters.
    There is alot of stuff Senator Obama could be slinging at Senator Clinton that could take her down, but he has chosen the high ground, which is what I believe his message is all about. They are basically similar in their messages of what they will do for the country, so they only real thing Hillary can do is throw dirt.
    Too bad. As the days go on, she has not shown herself as a fighter, but a cheater. She claimed tonight she won Florida, etc. when the Dems agreed back then they were OK without their vote. Obama and Edwards did not even campaign, so how can she claim this. She has changed her message 3 plus times. She cries, then the next day screams, then goes on SNL to claim she is getting bad media coverage, and on and on.. She is desperate.
    Is THIS the person you want as president on the USA? Which Hillary personality will emerge when that 3am phone call comes..
    As far as he experience theme, Hillary may have been in "The Political Game" longer than Obama, but that in of itself does not make a great leader.
    In the business world, the most successful CEO's are rarely the ones with the most experience in their rise to the top They are the ones who had vision. They have the ability to bring people together for the common goal. And most important they gain the respect of people through honesty and integrety. I see this in Obama. I do not see this in Clinton. My sole belief is she wants to win this Election not for the country, but to claim to be the first women president which she has said many times. I have never heard Obama say once it would be history to be the first African American president.
    His message has been the same from the start. If he does not win the nomination, it will be because he did not stoop to the OLD POLITIC'S game. He will have kept to the higher gound.
    And by the way, if Clinton does clinch the nom, I, and many others like me will vote for McCain. He, too, has high moral standards. Clinton and her husband scare me.

March 5, 2008 05:15 am at 5:15 am |
  6. Rachel, Nashviile TN

I think it is just the American way to put our politicians up on a pedestal when they have momentum and then bring them right back down from it. They have both been on a huge political rollercoaster ride. They have both had ups and downs, but I will tell you one thing... this race is far from over. He still has a lead over her in delegates, and even if she wins the next four states (which she won't), it still won't be enough to catch up with him. After last night, this thing will go to June....

March 5, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |