March 6th, 2008

Obama raises $55 million in February

Obama raised $55 million in February.
Obama raised $55 million in February.

(CNN) – Barack Obama’s campaign said Thursday that it had set a new campaign fundraising record, raising $55 million in February – roughly $20 million more than rival Hillary Clinton during the same time period. Nearly all of the money came in the form of contributions that can be used during the primary process.

The campaign said that 727,972 donors contributed to the campaign last month, including 385,101 first-time contributors. More than one million individuals have donated to Obama’s presidential campaign since it began last year.

More than $45 million of the February haul came in the form of online contributions, according to the campaign. More than 90 percent of those donations were $100 or less; half were $25 or less. Three-quarters of online donors in February were first-time contributors, and more than a third of those individuals went on to engage in volunteer activity coordinated through the campaign’s Web site.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Penny Hood

Change from the top down depends on fear.
    Change from the bottom up depends on hope.
    It is time to turn the page from fear based domination to community building participation.
    Go Obama.

March 6, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  2. Jordan

yes we can! by god, yes we can!

March 6, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  3. T from Texas

Hey, Obama fans – so according to you all money = winner. Wow, now we're really talking issues. I guess I'm just one of those young, well-educated doctorate types ... I mean I'm from the "lunchbucket" crowd who voted for Hillary who also happens to be a young, well-educated white attorney from Austin, TX.

March 6, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  4. M

wow that is an amazing amount, it really shows what the people want and that is change! no more CEO POLITICS!
    Obama 08

March 6, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  5. M.E.M FROM KANSAS CITY

Try to keep up Hillary !

OBAMA 08

March 6, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  6. Michelle

I am very proud that 3 of my donations went into February. I don't care that we didn't win Ohio and Texas, it was still a worthwhile investment in a candidate that I trust and believe.

With that being said, we owned you in both January and February Miss Hillary Clinton!

March 6, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  7. XavierH

To all of you Hillary supporters who keep ragging on Obama for losing Ohio and Texas. News Flash "HE'S STILL AHEAD". In addition, if you are capable of 4th grade arithmetic you would know that mathematically Hillary CAN'T win. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.. :0(

Go OBAMA !!!

And just to clarify, Obama may have "lost" the primary in the general sense. However, he'll get the most delegates...go figure! lol...

March 6, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  8. yes Obama

Hahaha, Cnn blog is full of Obama haters.
    Lame

March 6, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  9. Steve

I hope supporters of Obama's opponent stop and think about where that money is coming from – and then they should really worry and understand that Obama is organized and smart. Much of Obama's money has come from small donations from regular people.

Who knows where Hillary's money has come from – where's the tax return. All we know is that Bill has been paid millions to just speak and he shares his money with his wife. The amount of money Bill receives should be seen (by any thinking person) as "influence" not just simply payment for speaking. Now just look at who pays him to speak. And yes he is choosing who "supports" him (and her). Bill is not rejecting or denouncing the support of foreign nations or big business.

I contributed less than $100 myself to Obama and I consider it a "vote" of confidence in his campaign for change in government and for a person who can work well with others.

March 6, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  10. Trev

I am a Hillary supporter, but I applaud Obama for being able to raise that much money. The Democrats are very strong in fundraising this cycle.

Now, we are in a new month and Hillary raised 3 million in 24 hours and is going for 6 million in 48. She has the momentum after the 4th, and is now ahead in both of the two main tracking polls (Gallup and Rasmussen).

Hillary08

March 6, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  11. Lady Bug

Yay! We still got the momentum and I believe we broke the record for a presidential campaign's fundraising month!!! I'm so excited! YES WE CAN!!! No matter how much the establishment tries to smear our campaign, our voice, our future...YES WE CAN!!!

March 6, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  12. proud black man

Obama rules. Even if he doesn't win, the polls have shown that America prefers him. Who cares what his detractors say. The polls show it.

As for Clinton; although I'm a registered democrat, no way I'm voting for her. Is it any wonder why the only people who consistently favor her are the uneducated and the latinos? I'm a high school teacher and it's shamefull how the latinos in our school prefer gangs to books. If Clinton wants those type of people representing her, she can have them. However, I want forward thinking, educated AMERICANS representing this fine country.

If Hillary steals the nomination, I, as will many other professional African Americans, will be voting McCain this November.

OBAMA ALL THE WAY

March 6, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  13. Kristin

It's so funny to me when people say "He shoulda been able to win more than 1 out of 4 states then!"

Weird really, because he won 12 in a row, and has won more than 2/3 of EVERY state that has voted thus far. (Thats more than half, A LOT more, btw...for you idiots).

Anyway. Obama '08. I have given and will continue to give every time I can. He is amazing and it saddens me how sick Hillary supporters are and how they speak...just like her. Its disgusting.

March 6, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  14. txpoodoo

I find it funny that all the Hillarites are claiming they won Texas...by the way....which candidate got more delegates out of TX?

Oh, thats right....Obama did....

Claiming victory when only counting 2/3 of delegates is like trying to say you should be President because Ohio said so....not the 27 other states that said you shouldn't.

March 6, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  15. Manuel TX

That's a lot of money, but we already knew the amount.

And even with all that money...BO went 1 for 4.

Too funny. :)

One nice outcome of all this is that the economy is getting a nice boost.

Expect Hillary to announce 6+ million raised in 2 days tomorrow.

March 6, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  16. Mark

Only with Obama the Democrats can retake the White House!!!
    Go Barack go!!!

March 6, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  17. Greg, NY

Why are all the Hillary supporters claiming huge wins? She did not "kick his butt."

She was up 20 points just a few weeks ago and then won Texas by 3. She was up 20 points in Ohio and won by 10. She didn't cut into Obama's delegate lead and he will actually end up winning more delegates in Texas than her with the caucus added to it.

March 6, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  18. Stacy Clarks, Texas

all those hillary supporters claiming CNN is only reporting it because they support Obama--> they have reported how much hillary raised as well, and reported that she has raised 3 million since her win on tuesday

So can we all just take a deep breath, say congratualtions to eachother as democrats for OUTRAISING the sad sad republicans!!!

I am a proud Obama donator, and will keep donating a portion of my paycheck to him until he wins (and if not, I will support HIllary as much as I can)!!!

people in general need to stop whining and get back to this race!!!

OBAMA 08!!!!!!!!

March 6, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  19. Jules

All that money raised from small donors-NOT PACS and lobbysists Amazing. 90% of our donors are small contributers. The average donation is 109 bucks. I am off to donate $25 more. We are neither down nor out. Check out the Texas caucus delegates! Keep positive and keep working. Change comes from the bottom up- never the other way around.
    Obama 08

March 6, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  20. Frank

NEVEROBAMA March 6th, 2008 2:46 pm ET

SO WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT DIDN'T STOP HILLARY FROM KICKING HIS BUTT ON TUESDAY!
    -------------------------------

You call peeling off 5 delegates of a 155 delegate lead "kicking butt" ?

OBAMA'08

March 6, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  21. applecrispbetty

These two candidates are both good. It's silly to tear either of them down as I see in some of these postings.
    Be FOR a candidate, not AGAINST another candidate as your rationale for casting a vote. Otherwise we all look like babies.

March 6, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  22. carlos

No-Bamas

go away big eared monster
    liar, liar pants on fire
    not one idea is your own
    will choose mccain before voting for a neophyte like you

STEP DOWN you incompetent fool!!!!

March 6, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  23. Mike

To all of you Hillary people who are horrible at math :

$55 million is more than $35 million

1366 total delegates is more than 1222 total delagates (courtesy of RealClearPolitics.com)

28 states won is more than 14 states won (and by the way, you claim Victory in New Hampshire but split the delegates evenly, and you claim victory in Nevada although you won LESS DELEGATES, let's not even talk about your claimed victories in MI and FL)

And after WY and MS, you'll be even further behind....let me ask you a question Hillary people....If your favorite sports team went 3-12 in their last 15 contests, would you say they have more momentum than the other team in their division that has gone 12-3?

WAKE UP AND STEP INTO REALITY!!!!

The longer you drag this out, the more pathetic you look....

OBAMA '08!

March 6, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  24. Obama 08

To all the Obama doubters...You are in for the surprise of your life come November 5, 2008.

March 6, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  25. paula

Absolutely obscene!!! Obama supporters must be very naive if they think that their candidate won't pander for money, as other politicians do. How do they think he was elected in the first place? I guess Obama is not so selflessly devoted to those citizens in need as he claims to be. Imagine the good work that the $55 million could do.

March 6, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |