March 6th, 2008

Obama raises $55 million in February

Obama raised $55 million in February.
Obama raised $55 million in February.

(CNN) – Barack Obama’s campaign said Thursday that it had set a new campaign fundraising record, raising $55 million in February – roughly $20 million more than rival Hillary Clinton during the same time period. Nearly all of the money came in the form of contributions that can be used during the primary process.

The campaign said that 727,972 donors contributed to the campaign last month, including 385,101 first-time contributors. More than one million individuals have donated to Obama’s presidential campaign since it began last year.

More than $45 million of the February haul came in the form of online contributions, according to the campaign. More than 90 percent of those donations were $100 or less; half were $25 or less. Three-quarters of online donors in February were first-time contributors, and more than a third of those individuals went on to engage in volunteer activity coordinated through the campaign’s Web site.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Patricia H - Las Vegas

uhh, neverbama...think you got your facts wrong. Ms. Clinton is the one telling the lies!

March 6, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  2. Steve

There nothing in the article that he spent all that money, only that he raised $55 million.

March 6, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  3. TSD from Houston, TX

Actually, Hills only won the primary in TX, not the whole state. Please remember, the caucus votes are still on their way in and 1/3 of the delegate vote in TX. As of right now, Obama is leading in the caucus.

Barack the Vote!
    Obama 08!

March 6, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  4. Oh! The Irony

Seems to me, if running a presidential campaign is the largest leadership role either one of these two candidates have attempted, Obama is by far exceeding Hillary in both results and honor.

Obama '08

March 6, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  5. Dave, Atlanta, GA

Is anyone going to comment on how insane this is? That a candidate who doesn't even have the nomination raised $55 million in a month?

Note. I gave money to the campaign, but I still think it's insane.

March 6, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  6. OBAMANOW

How in the heck did the "inevitable democratic candidate" (in her own words) become the underdog?Correct me if I'm wrong..but I thought Obama was easily 20-30 points behind Clinton in the Ohio and Texas polls just a couple weeks before the primary. The fact that he significantly closed the gap and still has the delegate lead oughta be the news of the day. The fact that she uses her gender, race, lies, half-truths and negative trickery on the stump and in ads...is insulting to me as an American, a woman, and a democrat. I for one, will stay home if she ends up being the "presumptive" nominee. And, hate to say it Hillary girl...but I'm not alone. And, honestly folks, do you really think that Bill's record (the negative part) won't resurface in a general campaign. The republicans are just sitting back licking their chops..and who knows what all our Bill has been up to lately...We like Bill, but honestly..he had his day. And,can you imagine...it's all about her now. She's not fighting for "us"...she's fighting to become the first woman President. There's a big difference. When she says "it's personal" believe her. She is more interested in pushing her own personal agenda than making America safe and prosperous.

I'm for Obama..NOW!!

March 6, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  7. David S., Chicago, IL

Woo Hoo!

March 6, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  8. obama

I LIKE OBAMA BUT WITH BUSH SUPPORTING MCCAIN ALL OF THE OLD WHITE PEOPLE WITH WILL FOLLOW AND HILLARY IS NOT GOING TO BE NEXT PRESIDENT BECAUSE IN THE BIBLE THE WOMAN IS THE WEAKER VESSEL. AND FOR OBAMA HE IS BLACK SO MANY CONSERVATIVE PEOPLE WILL NOT VOTE FOR OBAMA.

AGAIN I hope for change and change means OBAMA.

March 6, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  9. GOBAMA

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm happy I was part of that

LET'S DOUBLE THAT FOR MARCH/APRIL

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBAMA

March 6, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  10. Dennis

Funny, Clinton supporters are ignoring Hillary's 11 straight losses in February while Obama raised that $55 million.

On another note: I too contribute to Obama's campaign. However, if you contribute to Clinton's campaign (more power to you) or Obama's don't lose sight of the fact that all this money could be put to better use. To that end, I've matched all my political contributions with donations to charity. I'm donating currently to the local food bank. I encourage all Democrats that support one of these candidates to do the same thing. Pick any charity. It'll make a difference.

March 6, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  11. Luis, Latino & Obama-can from Maryland

That's impressive! This campaign is own by the people for the people. Hillary is the same old and she can't even make her financials public!

I can't wait to see the final outcome of the caucus in Texas and at the end of the day who will win the state? well, the candidate with the most pledged delegates, and who will that be? well you guessed it... BARACK OBAMA!

She (hillary) continues to hurt her party and the Country as she tries to win with her old negative style! and as unfortunate as it is, sometimes that works! but ALWAYS, the sincere, honest and truthful candidate will win.

Enjoy the ride while you can Hillary….. from now on you are going downhill.

March 6, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  12. Hillary 2008

Wonder how much Kool-Aid $55 million buys...

Guess not nearly enough to win Texas, Ohio and Rhode Island.

March 6, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  13. qlinderman

GO OBAMA!!!

Don't you Billary supporters get it????
    BILLARY CAN"T WIN!!!

March 6, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  14. js

I love how hillary denied to matt lauer knowing rezko, and then he produced several pictures of her and bill posing with him when he donated to the clintons...he is a political fixer....

I wonder how hill wil fix nafta since bill and apparently her since she claims credit, enacted it in 1992......

If I went to mechanic and my car tires all fell off, I wouldn't walk back there...I would want my money back....hillary supporters are morons...

I will vote for mccain....

March 6, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  15. Truth

Check the results again. Your results are from primary only, which only includes 2/3 of the delegates.

Obama was won Texas. He is sweeping the caucus results.

Should I say that again?

Obama won Texas.

March 6, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  16. john

All those Clinton fans gloating about a Texas win need to wait until the caucuses are counted. Our Obama could easily come out with more total delegates. Hooray! I'd call that a win.

March 6, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  17. Bonnie

I think that's amazing that so many people are behind him. I'm going to go donate now...YES WE CAN! Barack Obama 2008...

March 6, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  18. JB

This is an amazing number. It goes great with all the Superdelegates committing to Obama today and all the great articles about how Mrs. Clinton can never catch up in the pledged delegates count.

Yes. We. Can.

Obama 08

March 6, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  19. Mike

What a worthless headline. So how much did Oprah contribute to that?

If Obama gets the nomination, I will not vote for him. He's a con. I have a hard time seeing how he can win if he can't pull down the big states that matter.

March 6, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  20. Illona

i will vote for mccain if hillary manages to steal this election from the voters. i would rather have four years with someone of integrity and honor in the White House; we don't need a victim for the next four years crying and throwing a tantrum anytime she doesn't get what she wants. She can't build a Democratic coalition; indeed, she is intent on driving the party into the ground. Her personal ambition drives her; we, the democratic voters, will be sold out as soon as she deems it necessary.

WE WANT CHANGE!!!!!!! OBAMA '08!!!!!!!!

March 6, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  21. Cindy

Way ta go, Obama supporters! Don't stop believing!!

March 6, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  22. RP

What's going on with "NAFTAgate-gate"? Word on the street is that the Clinton campaign has some explaining to do according to reports out of Canada.

March 6, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  23. Allen

Hilllary just raised more than 3.6 million in 24 hours.
    The tide has turned.

Go Hillary!

March 6, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  24. Cindy, Georgia

So? I think all of this campaign contributions is crazy....can't folks give their money to a charity or purchase food and donate to a food bank. If you do the math on how much $ has been wasted on all of these campaigns, it is really sad. Didn't Obama spend twice as much as Hillary in Ohio? I think he lost that one.

March 6, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  25. MARYANN Oswego IL

IT did not help him on Tuesday in March...Hillary spent less, raised less and got the job done...sounds like she could help our economy and get the job done for less money..M.A .Hillary 08

March 6, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |