March 6th, 2008

Clinton campaign raises $3 million in a day

Clinton's campaign said it raised $3 million in the day after its string of victories.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton’s campaign has raised $3 million online since her string of victories Tuesday night, an aide said Thursday.

Since lending her campaign $5 million shortly before the February 5 Super Tuesday contests, Clinton’s fundraising fortunes have improved considerably, though Barack Obama’s campaign has continued to outspend her.

Donations to Clinton’s campaign climbed from $14 million in January to roughly $35 million in February. Obama’s campaign raised $36 million in January, and has not yet released its February fundraising numbers. His advisers have said only that the total is “considerably higher” than Clinton’s.

The New York senator won three out of four Democratic primaries Tuesday night, beating Obama in Ohio, Texas and Rhode Island. Obama claimed a victory in Vermont.

1:00 p.m. UPDATE: Clinton's campaign announced it has raised $4 million since Tuesday's contests and $6 million in the month of March.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Ratgurl

....and WHERE did this money come from?

March 6, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  2. Haley Rodman Clemson

What about Ralph Nader? Who is donating to him? Simply not fair.

March 6, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  3. Amy, Kazoo

I love how it's just taken on faith that all of Obama's money comes from small donations from supporters but Clinton supporters can't do the same? Clinton has plenty of people donating on her site. She is not the first candidate to ever loan their campaign money, and she won't be the last. But simply because she did it once, it doesn't mean that's the only place the money comes from. How undemocratic some of you people have allowed yourselves to become. Slandering your own party's supporters. It's sad how some people here have to resort to typical right-winged tactics to get their attacks across. So much for change from typical washington. How about we start shooting for change from typical AMERICA.

March 6, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  4. Brian from CA

I am an independent and I would never vote for Obama because I think he is too liberal. He is ranked as the most liberal senator by an independent and non-partisan study. I do not want America to become a socialist country.

March 6, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  5. Lisa

As a African American female, I do not appreciate Hillary's character. The Presidential Office is an honorable venture. However, fighting in the mud and promoting deception are not characteristics that I will tolerate in our President. If Hillary wins, I will vote for the Republicans! We will have 100 years of war, jobs will go oversees, and the economy will suffer.

The root cause is that uneducated members of our society and individuals making less than $50K do not have time to focus on global matters. They are making decisions based upon rumors and non-factional data. It is also possible that fighting in the mud appeals to some members of society.

Unfortunately, these people will suffer the most. Who are these people: white people making minimal wages in the rural areas, spanish people working $7/hour jobs, and african american people making minimum wages.

Character matters! It impacts Presidential decisions, relationships and the American people.

March 6, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  6. Lioness

Ahhhh.... I wonder how much of that money came from Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter – both of whom have told their supporters to help Hillary win the nomination so that she can be trounced by McCain. Wouldn't I love to see the list of donors. I know it won't happen, though. Not when the Clintons are balking at releasing something as simple as their tax returns.

March 6, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  7. roger lodge Wisconsin

obama camp is desperate.
    they are broke.
    they are still used to the media being nice to them, but clearly thats over now and obama's true colors of inexperience and being fake have come out.
    obama is finished

March 6, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  8. Carol Myers

I I just donated $100. Maybe I'll be in the next two days 3 million.

I called every one I know so I feel that I helped you win in Ohio. Also my daughter voted for you in Cal.along with some of her friends.
    Go Hillary!!!
    Carol Oh.

March 6, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  9. RSP

MS, I agree. Howard Dean and the National Democrat Party, by not acknowledging Michigan and Florida's voters, are the ones splitting the party. Clinton and Obama are doing their best to remain civil during this race, but the Democratic Party needs to end this now. If the Democratic Party is confused about how to seat the delgates from Florida and Michigan, and can't figure out what to do, how can we trust that a Democrat can clean up the mess in the White House and in Iraq? Leave it to the Democrats to squander a golden opportunity in '08.

March 6, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  10. RSP

The longer the fight between Obama and Hillary goes on, the more polarized the Democrats will become, and McCain will win in November, because you have pissed off half the Democrats. Howard Dean can take responsibility, because he made a mess of Florida and Michigan

March 6, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  11. ChrisSmith

Dear Ohioans -

Thanks so much for not seeing the through my fallacious arguments. Yes, I know, I know. You've lost so many jobs because of NAFTA....but I didn't support NAFTA when my husband Bill championed for it. Really, I didn't. Honest. But, I do need to count HIS time in office toward MY "experience"....all except for that NAFTA thing that cost you all dearly.

Now, will you all keep your mouths shut so I can make the same case in Pennsylvania? Really, you will be rewarded when I'm president...I PROMISE.

Oh, and to all you union members, I appreciate your votes...even though the unions actually endorsed the "other guy".

See you in four years...

Love -
    Hillary

March 6, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  12. puhleez

First, how many times do you need to be told she's said she'll release the returns before PA? And how much of her financial history is *already* in the public domain?? Sounds like Obama's the "desperate" and "whiny" one now. Why won't he come clean about Rezko? Provide a schedule of his legislative doings in IL? Detail his own porkbarrel projects and kickbacks? Clean slate my #$)
    IMO the H in the middle of his name is HYPOCRITE.

But more importantly I would like to point out to those crying about the $3 million that she "must have raised from special interests" or "from overseas" or "from herself" that in fact, that money came from INDIVIDUALS who support her, and believe that SHE IS BEST ABLE TO LEAD THIS COUNTRY. Concept.

Are you trying to say that it's wrong for people who don't have a lot of money to spare to fight to be heard above the swooning and support the candidate they believe can oh I don't know, make things BETTER for them? So, therefore, decisions should only be made by those with enough to afford to vote on idealism?

Maybe it's not coming from big doners. Maybe just maybe she has a lot of supporters even if they can't fork out what Oprah can.

Pardon me for not believing that Mr. Second Coming (not sure yet if it's JFK, MLK or Jesus.. or all of the above. Wait, sorry forgot Elvis) is all he's cracking himself up to be. Seems to me someone who is running on his supposed judgment should have thought better about Rezko (a move he himself called "boneheaded"). Some judgment. And the guy who says he's going to go change Washington might've stayed long enough in Illinois to change a few things there first to prove it. Last time I checked, Chicago wasn't on the forefront of political ethics. Was that not good enough for his political ambitions anymore? Or did he simply need a "change" of scenery....?

Remember the last president who ran on "change"?? Who said he was a uniter not a divider?

Yeah. That turned out swell.

March 6, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  13. EFabian

Good for you Hillary.

GO GO GO HILLARY!!

NO NO NOBAMA.

March 6, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  14. Blah

Here go the Obama supporters with the lies again.

Fact check for the Obama supporters saying Republicans supported Hillary Clinton. Look at CNN Exit Polls:

9% of people who voted in TX Primaries were Republican.
    - OF THESE 9%:
    – 53% voted for Barack Obama
    – 46% voted for Hillary Clinton.

Now I ask you this, How did Republicans put Hillary over the top?

March 6, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  15. BinPA

$3,000,000 so what!

Precisely how many days has she had a lead in pledged delegates?

ZERO.

March 6, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  16. doug

Lets see, now Obama has picked up three more today, seems like every million bucks she claims to pick up she loses another super.

March 6, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  17. Leslie Somerville, Seattle, Washington

Hillary. You are terrific. More money from me coming to you girl.
    GO AFTER OBAMA WITH ALL YOU HAVE SENATOR!!!!!!!! There is definitely an incredible story concerning this Rezko freak. Barack still has lots of the money Rezko gave to him-go to ABC.com (they are not pro-Obama) You will get a lot of info. from Slate, CBS and NBC.com. Their relationship has gone back many, many years. Have you SEEN THE SIZE OF THE MANSION THAT THE OBAMA'S GOT SO CHEAP (ya right) It makes me sick that all these Obama supporters think that something creepy is going to be the Clinton's tax returns for 2007. All her records are public right now from 2006 going backwards–they were making the same amount of money then as now–get a life "Obama people." Talk about fear mongering Obama.
    Go ride your little tricyle with training wheels back to your 15 bathroom cottage.

March 6, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  18. dewayne

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON....SHE IS THE STRONGEST WOMAN I KNOW...ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE...AND FOR ALL YOU HATERS, HILLARY LOVES YOU ANYWAY, SO HATE ON....

March 6, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  19. Taj

Just as Obama asks why Hillary hasn't released her tax returns (which she said she will in April), I ask why Obama hasn't released his correspondence and details of his relationship with TONY REZKO??!!

March 6, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  20. doug

Obama just released numbers for Feb., More than 55 million dollars. GO Obama.

March 6, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  21. Timothy B. Robinson

Keep it up, Hillary. I donated last night. Obviously you're spending the money in the right places. Keep on spending, Obama...and dreaming of change...

HILLARY '08 & '12

March 6, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  22. Joe St Louis, MO

When she takes over and youre all broke from her TAXES to pay for the poor and gas prices soar due to her 35 years of diplomatic experience. You will realize what a sham she is. Remember the Clintons gave the white house to GW Bush and the rest is history.

WAR, ECONOMIC DOWN FALL, RELIGIOUS LEADERSHIP.

IDOITS....I WANT A CHANGE.

WE WILL VOTE TO STOP HILLARY. As will everyone I know.

March 6, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  23. T Brown

Thank you Hillary but I feel the Democratic Party is dividing this party by leaving Florida out, Howard Dean is already putting his spin on CNN,
    saying that this is in the middle of the game, and from the beginning when we got stripped from our Electoral Votes, Senator Nelson has made Petitions, we even went to the courts in Florida, now for the leaders in Washington to take our vote and our voice? That is terrible. CNN says that Obama is the best candidate to confront McCain and it is not truth, because many in Florida will not vote for Obama so we will not vote or vote Republican, so one more time The Democratic Party is to blame for this ugly division, I myself contribute some money for Hillary's campaign and I know very well how wonderful were the years of President Clinton, prosperous and no deficit, another thing I want to say, Obama claims that Hillary does not have the experience, but I remember the days of Goldwater and yes she has experience, she is diplomatic, beautiful and Knows the world leaders. So let us pray our votes in Florida be counted. Obama is a liar, he said he was never a Muslim and He was raised a Muslim, he lied about NAFTA and denied what happened in Canada, we cannot trust this man that is funded by corruption. Talk is cheap, he is a good speaker and that is all. Go Hillary 2008. Sincerely a fan.

March 6, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  24. SONIA

OBAMA SPENT 47 MILLION IN 4 STATES
    HE SPENT 17 MILLION IN ADS

HILLARY ONLY SPENT 7 MILLION IN ADS

HILLARY WON ,,AND OBAMA LOST

WOW,,GOOD JOB OBAMA,

March 6, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  25. Abby

Please i need clarification on why Florida and Michigan are continuously added to Hillary Clinton's wins. I think it is proper that if those states are in controversy they should be left alone until we all know what the decision is about them. If she appeared alone on the Michigan ballot then that means there was no election in that state. so how can there be a winner?. If this continues then America is running politics like Africa. Please give each candidtate credit only in states where election was held while playing by the rules. Why cant she follow simple instructions?

March 6, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |