March 6th, 2008

Limbaugh: So-called 'Dream Ticket' doesn't have a prayer

Limbaugh said a ticket with Obama and Clinton doesn't have a prayer.
Limbaugh said a ticket with Obama and Clinton doesn't have a prayer.

(CNN) - Many Democrats have called the prospect of Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama teaming up for the general election a "dream ticket."

But conservative talk radio host Rush Limbaugh said Wednesday a presidential ticket that included a "woman and a black" doesn't "have a prayer."

"Let's say it is Obama and Hillary...Let's put Hillary at the top - That's a position she's familiar with," Limbaugh said on his radio show Thursday. "Therefore, you've got a woman and a black for the first time ever on the Democrat ticket. Ahem. They don't have a prayer."

Donna Brazile, Al Gores former presidential campaign manager, called the comments "un-American."

"I'm an American. And I'm proud to be an American," Brazile said on CNN's The Situation Room Wednesday. "But I think that comment is, as far as I can tell, a very un-American conversation, because African-Americans and women fight for this country. We have died for this country."

“To suggest, somehow or another, that we are not capable of serving this country in the capacity of Commander-in-Chief is just, in my mind, mind-boggling," she continued. "So, with all due respect to Mr. Limbaugh, just wait. Let the people decide. And I guarantee you, the people will make a better decision than Rush Limbaugh."

Limbaugh's comments came hours after Hillary Clinton said the Democratic presidential race could result in a joint ticket.

“That may be where this is headed,” she told CBS Wednesday morning. “But of course we have to decide who is on the top of ticket. I think the people of Ohio very clearly said that it should be me."

Obama later called any speculation of teaming up with Clinton "premature."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Adam in Indy

Why are we paying any attention at all to Rush?

March 6, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  2. Joan

I doubt Obama will pick HRC.

Not after the smears, racism and fearmongering.

She had her chance, but blew it.

I think he should pick somebody else.

March 6, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  3. Chris

Why is this guy still on the air? Who the h**l still listens to him?

March 6, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  4. Kevin

Limbaugh managed to be racist and sexist in one simple comment. Gotta love those republicans, they are so creative it hurts....

March 6, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  5. Evan Mack

Every day there is a new ticker item about Rush Limbaugh. Why is CNN reporting this as news? Is it to draw away viewers from FoxNews? Limbaugh has not been news worthy since..........ever!

March 6, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  6. Independent

The real point is not whether they have a prayer but that Mr. Limbaugh needs our prayers.

March 6, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  7. anon

it doesn't have a prayer of ever happening. Obama will get the nomination, and Clinto will NEVER be second fiddle, nor will Obama want someone stealing is limelight and upstaging him.

March 6, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  8. John, Raleigh, NC

This is the dumbest post I have ever seen. Who cares what the blowhard says?

March 6, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  9. norb

Is Rush back on the painkillers?

March 6, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  10. Travis

I laughed out loud at this. Is Rush still alive? Guess what Rush? No one cares what you think. I am surprised CNN actually would even comment on what you say.

March 6, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  11. YAWN

Why is this idiot on the Ticker again...he is about as relevant as Bob Dole...oh, right that was on CNN as well...really on the pulse guys...good work...

March 6, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  12. Camille

Boy. Why is it just me or does it sound like the old boy is actually terrifed of that happening? Seems to me that he realizes that McCain wouldnt have a chance then.

March 6, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  13. Kaye

Chris,

The people who listen to Rush Limbaugh are those who are too lazy to think for themselves. They confuse loud blustering with substance. It's just easier that way.

March 6, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  14. Angelina Julie Lexington Kentucky

I've said it before, with approximately 41% of the US reported to be Democrats, 39% reported to be Republicans and about 20% Independents (who USUALLY vote Republican), why is everyone so certain this "dream ticket" will win? The math says it's pretty much a split. I think the Democrats are getting way ahead of themselves.

March 6, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  15. kelly WI

It would be a nightmare every one would want to wake up from.
    Of course the spinners would say different.

March 6, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  16. Dave W

I am a Republican and I am becoming tired of Limbaugh's toxic rhetoric. He does not represent me nor many of my true Republican friends. Both Hillary and Barack would be honorable and formidable foes this Fall. If they teamed up together it would be very tough to beat them.
    Maybe if McCain chose Lieberman as a running mate?

March 6, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  17. Terry

Rush Limbaugh is an idiot and he needs to focus on Republican issues. If he was that intelligent he would be running for president.

March 6, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  18. olga gardiner

Rush Limbaugh should not be on the air. He is the most despectable person I ever heard. Who is he to comment on others. He should take care of his drug problems instead. That man is a very bad example. Please get rid of him. He is anti-american.
    Olga Gardiner

March 6, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  19. Kevin, Evansville IN

Well, Rush, maybe that's why you flunked out of college. The dream ticket is unlikely, but would win hands down. Largely due to the fact that the moron you put in office has destroyed the credibility of Republican party.

March 6, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  20. bridget

I don't think Obama would ever be Clinton's vp, and after the smears she has put him through in this campaign, I doubt he would want her to be his. Since Clinton has been pushing the "skeletons" in Obama's closet, perhaps we should start bringing up the Peter Paul and fundaising scandals with China in hers.

March 6, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  21. Ray Rheaume

I'm sure Condi Rice appreciates the sentiment.

The EPA should indite him for air-wave pollution.

March 6, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  22. maynard

limbaugh you are the lowest of new reporters no network should even mention your name.....you have not had one constructive thing to say about anything since you started your talk show.

people must be hard up if they cant find someone who is constructive in their remarks

March 6, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  23. Mike

The Canadian memo shows us the "change we can believe in."

March 6, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  24. Mike

I don't think Obama should bla,e Hillary for negative campaign for his own mistake. Who started distribute the fliers about Hillary's NAFTA stand to Ohio people? that made Hillary so upset and attack him back.

March 6, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  25. George from Minneapolis

Hey Rushie boy:

Its not a "dream ticket" if Hillary is on it. Barack would not lower himself to being Hillary's v.p nor would he want her as his v.p.

End of story.