March 6th, 2008

Limbaugh: So-called 'Dream Ticket' doesn't have a prayer

Limbaugh said a ticket with Obama and Clinton doesn't have a prayer.
Limbaugh said a ticket with Obama and Clinton doesn't have a prayer.

(CNN) - Many Democrats have called the prospect of Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama teaming up for the general election a "dream ticket."

But conservative talk radio host Rush Limbaugh said Wednesday a presidential ticket that included a "woman and a black" doesn't "have a prayer."

"Let's say it is Obama and Hillary...Let's put Hillary at the top - That's a position she's familiar with," Limbaugh said on his radio show Thursday. "Therefore, you've got a woman and a black for the first time ever on the Democrat ticket. Ahem. They don't have a prayer."

Donna Brazile, Al Gores former presidential campaign manager, called the comments "un-American."

"I'm an American. And I'm proud to be an American," Brazile said on CNN's The Situation Room Wednesday. "But I think that comment is, as far as I can tell, a very un-American conversation, because African-Americans and women fight for this country. We have died for this country."

“To suggest, somehow or another, that we are not capable of serving this country in the capacity of Commander-in-Chief is just, in my mind, mind-boggling," she continued. "So, with all due respect to Mr. Limbaugh, just wait. Let the people decide. And I guarantee you, the people will make a better decision than Rush Limbaugh."

Limbaugh's comments came hours after Hillary Clinton said the Democratic presidential race could result in a joint ticket.

“That may be where this is headed,” she told CBS Wednesday morning. “But of course we have to decide who is on the top of ticket. I think the people of Ohio very clearly said that it should be me."

Obama later called any speculation of teaming up with Clinton "premature."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. cert_ditto_head

Did anyone actually listen to the broadcast where Rush made that comment? Does anyone know the context? In this quote, does he say that they don't have a prayer BECAUSE they are a woman and black?

If someone actually heard the comments, they might find that he was saying that they don't have a prayer because the people wouldn't elect them. NOT just because of their sex/ethnicity. He's crediting the racism/sexism of the people on their inability to be elected together.

Have any of you Rush-haters ever actually listened to his show? And more than just snippets? Sure, you may not agree with everything he says, but he is not the man whose image is being oainted by all of these out of context, mis-interpreted quotes that keep popping up.

March 6, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  2. Frank Lee

Who cares what this bloated buffoon thinks?

Why does CNN or anyone else lend him any crediblity at all?

Tell ya what, Rush – let's see how influential you are come Nov. 5th, the day after the Dems have swept the House, Senate, and White House.

Meanwhile, YOUR pathetic Bush-ruined GOP is saddled with John McCain, whom the fringe right can't stand.

What a complete jerk..................

March 6, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  3. andrew of california

...and they said Rush Limbaugh was not relavent...!

March 6, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  4. Wayne, Greenville TX

Ian March 6th, 2008 12:07 pm ET

If only there were some way to get a Clinton / Obama / McCain ticket. That would be awesome.

There is. Clinton or Obama for president, the other for VP, ands nominate John McCain for Secretary of Defense.

March 6, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  5. jim

It amazes me anyone could care less what Rush has to say about anything. Nothing but a hate broker.

March 6, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  6. Davis

boo hoo, wahhhhh, it's un-american!!!!
    deal with it

March 6, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  7. Anonymous

I'm a Republican and even I think these comments were out of line and just plain wrong. He's trying to discredit or discourage the idea because he is afraid of it. And he should be for good cause. They would crush McCain.

March 6, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  8. Houston Texas

Hillary is going to be under oath in a campaign finance fraud lawsuit over the summer. That means she won't be able to lie. That means she won't be able to campaign anymore.

Should be a great summer.

March 6, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  9. Debby Tulsa OK.

When Hillary gets the nomination she will pick a vp and I don't think it will be Obama. She has to many better choices. Obama brings to much dirt with him and would cause the dem's to loose in the GE.

March 6, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  10. Gary

I have always listened to and greatly admired Russ Limbaugh – he is truly one of the great Americans in our history. But alas, I took an I Q teach and I my score began with a minus sign, followed by a decimal point. Oh well, I guess Russ taught me just too much......

March 6, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  11. Nan

OMG!!! He reminds me of the "South Pacific" song – "Carefully Taught". I wonder who taught him to hate everybody?

Or maybe – like that failed politician – Rush was beat up by a(n African-American) girl?!

One difference between Democrats and Republicans is that the Dems – while disliking some speech – would not censor it.

Republicans, meanwhile, shout down anyone who disagrees with them. For all their talk about loving the Constitution, they are remarkably un-American when it comes to living up to it's values.

March 6, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  12. biglio

limbaugh, ginrich, rove, bush.....
    People that cannot run their own lives that tell us how we should run ours.....
    Bush as been babysitted since ever and now the secret service runs his life, or cheney or his dad.....
    I'm sick of this hypocrites.......
    Ale

March 6, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  13. Jonathan of Tampa, FL

Rush is a paranoid pill popping radio personality. He has some serious issues that he manipulates himself into defending. His ignorance is often perceived as clown like entertainment.

I will laugh so hard at Rush if either Obama or Clinton or both end up in the White House. That is TRULY Rush's Nightmare scenario.

Prayer Answered.

March 6, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  14. Charlotte

If a joint ticket were possible, I can't see Obama being on top of the ticket because people would go to Hillary instead of Obama. It's called cutting out the middleman. He looks to her for answers in the debates and that would carry over to the White House. He would have to find someone weaker then himself and I can't think of anyone. I wish we lived in a perfect world but we do not. This is going to be an election for the history books. Most young people have no idea what it was like to be a female in the sixties. Unless you were twice as intelligent and very beautiful, you did not stand a chance in the mens world. Affirmative action help women and minorities. It was more helpful to male minorities than women. Young girls today can study to be engineers, doctors, lawers anything they want to be. In my day that was not the case. My forte was space and mechanics, guess what, that field was not open to women at all. So, if you want to know why we support Hillary, think about how much she has done to help women and minorities fulfill their dreams. It is easy to dismiss the people who paved the way for the youth of today. Easy to say, so what, that was yesterday

March 6, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  15. Corey

Can someone please remind me... uhmm... who the hell asked Rush Limbaugh for his opinion about this? Thanks in advance for YOUR reply.

March 6, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  16. Dennis Pierce

Why does CNN pay attention to anything Rush says?

March 6, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  17. DC

I hope Hillary doesn't pick Obama...he is a loser!!! All talk and no action.

The republicans have been crossing over for months for Obama, they are afraid of Hillary. They know that they can easily beat Obama.

PS, YES RUSH IS AN IDIOT!!!

GO HILLARY!!!

YES WE WILL!!!

March 6, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  18. Bob, Powell OH

I totally agree with Adam. Why do we care what this right-wing blowhard has to say about anything?

March 6, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  19. Vic

Rush is such a bigot and woman hater. He should be taken off the air because of that. He is uneducated and a mouth piece for the Republican'ts. Either Hilary or Barack would mop the floor with McClain. Our country is so sick of this administration! And we are sick of their mouth pieces like Rush and Ann Coulter. We should think for ourselves and let no one do it for us..like the Republicans do.

March 6, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  20. Josh

Sorry everyone, but he is right. A black and a woman on one ticket; 2 ways for all the bigots and sexists in America to vote against it. Limbaugh is just speaking the truth and everyone rips him..

March 6, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  21. james

Comment: I agree with your calculations wholeheartedly. I do believe that the only way now for the democratic party to avoid a split is to have both Sen. Obama and Sen. Clinton. The problem is that Hillary has gone extremely too negative. I do believe Obama is a good person, but he is only human. This will make it hard for him to accept her on his ticket even being pressured by his party. With all that being said, i believe Hillary's camp understood for a while now that she wasn't going to win the nomination, so she went on attack before tuesday basically to show Obama that he would be wise to choose her to be his Vice-President. It was reported by Keith Olberman the night of the Texas primary that Obama had called Clinton during the day. I am willing to bet that the phone call was Obama basically telling her hewill put her on the ticket. This is why the day after the primary Hillary made her rounds on the talk shows and cable news shows and said that it is getting to the point where she and Obama will have to be on the "dream ticket". My prediction is that you will soon hear an announcement publicly as such. I repeat Hillary understands that because of Obama's delegate lead that she cannot catch him, so even if she won the nomination through superdelegates, she would lose the general election because of the backlash of Obama's supporters.

March 6, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  22. Brian

Its official Rush is a die hard sexist bigot racist. To suggest these comments shows what he himself feels deep inside. That a blackman or white women could never lead this country. To suggest this puts ideas subconsciously in the human mind that maybe this toolbox is right. CNN if you want to remain credible quit giving nut cases like Coulter and Rush your time. It is almost as ridiculous as ESPN reporting on Professional wrestlers. They are irrelevant and nobody with half a brain takes their comments seriously.

I also like how he suggested for republicans to vote for Hillary to drag on the Democratic nomination. What a sick and twisted way to manipulate and take advantage of freedoms that many countrys don't have

March 6, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  23. Bill Austin, TX

How many of you people calling this man an idiot have actually read the full, unedited transcript of what he said?

March 6, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  24. Gabriel Tola aruwajoye

The world is looking at America which seems to be the last hope on earth surface.These two candidate could work together this was my earlier view ever before this race started.Let's support the two and move the world forward.They could change and solve the world problem.God helps the world!

March 6, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  25. Mary

CNN should be renamed the Limbaugh News Network... for giving Rush so much publicity. Who cares about Rush Limbaugh? Oh yeah, CNN does.

March 6, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |