March 6th, 2008

Limbaugh: So-called 'Dream Ticket' doesn't have a prayer

Limbaugh said a ticket with Obama and Clinton doesn't have a prayer.
Limbaugh said a ticket with Obama and Clinton doesn't have a prayer.

(CNN) - Many Democrats have called the prospect of Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama teaming up for the general election a "dream ticket."

But conservative talk radio host Rush Limbaugh said Wednesday a presidential ticket that included a "woman and a black" doesn't "have a prayer."

"Let's say it is Obama and Hillary...Let's put Hillary at the top - That's a position she's familiar with," Limbaugh said on his radio show Thursday. "Therefore, you've got a woman and a black for the first time ever on the Democrat ticket. Ahem. They don't have a prayer."

Donna Brazile, Al Gores former presidential campaign manager, called the comments "un-American."

"I'm an American. And I'm proud to be an American," Brazile said on CNN's The Situation Room Wednesday. "But I think that comment is, as far as I can tell, a very un-American conversation, because African-Americans and women fight for this country. We have died for this country."

“To suggest, somehow or another, that we are not capable of serving this country in the capacity of Commander-in-Chief is just, in my mind, mind-boggling," she continued. "So, with all due respect to Mr. Limbaugh, just wait. Let the people decide. And I guarantee you, the people will make a better decision than Rush Limbaugh."

Limbaugh's comments came hours after Hillary Clinton said the Democratic presidential race could result in a joint ticket.

“That may be where this is headed,” she told CBS Wednesday morning. “But of course we have to decide who is on the top of ticket. I think the people of Ohio very clearly said that it should be me."

Obama later called any speculation of teaming up with Clinton "premature."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Jacqueline Samms

Rush Limbaugh should be ignored by the media. This drug addict should not get any air time. I wish he would just shut up!

March 6, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  2. William

I've got news for you Limbaugh, you don't know squat. Only idiots would listen to a buffon like Limbaugh.

March 6, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  3. Patty Don't

Rush is just a small minded bigot. Honestly he can say whatever he wants, its his right as an American citizen. The only thing about it that actually scares me is that people agree with him or take him as having some sort of valid opinion. That's what is truly terrifying.

March 6, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  4. Tim in NY

IF it does happen I think we can expect another 4 years of Rupublican Government. I won't vote for any ticket with HRC on it and there are a lot of Independents like me who will join the Republican voters this Fall.

March 6, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  5. Jill

blah blah blah rush your opinion is worth nothing. i hope you are not calling yourself a christian these days because you are not even close. sexist and racist does not look good.

March 6, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  6. JB

Limbaugh and the right wing broadcasters are showing themesleves for what they really are: pathetic human beings.

Race did play a major role in Ohio. 1 in 5 voters thought that race was important, The majority that saw race as a factor voted for Clinton.

The Clintons continue to bring race into the campaign: a staffer and "picturgate", the recent ad about Obama's subcomittee work made him look darker and more threatening, her response to the Muslim question. It goes on and on. They are trying to be subtle. But they have been brining race into the campaign since she lost in Iowa.

The Clintons will do and say anything to win. I thought they really believed their words about racial equality. I guess it fits everyone but them when they want to win an election.

March 6, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  7. NMM

Par for the course. This guy is irrelevant.

March 6, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  8. BILL

why is it un-american to say something that is blatantly obvious. We have yet to have anything but white males lead this country and then hypothetically thrown a black man and a woman (who is a Clinton nontheless) running togehter? I dont listen to Limbaugh and i think he's a toolbox but it's a no-brainer to realize that this drastic of a change would most likely not happen.

March 6, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  9. Diane D.

Isn't it about time that you on CNN stopped reporting the drivel that Limbaugh spouts? Are you that hard up for news?

March 6, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  10. Joan Thomas - Utah

Limbaugh can razzle/dazzle, confuse and give hope to his sheep-0 sycophants that the Dream Ticket does not appear on the ballot ...

March 6, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  11. For Obama

This man (Rush) is abvously UN-AMERICAN!!! The media should ban comments coming from this SEXIST/RACIST ignorant fool!!!!!!!!

March 6, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  12. MickyD10

I listen to Rush sometimes. But only for entertainment purposes. I never pay any attention to his bull. And most people I know who listen to him do so for the same reason. It's amusing. The guy is a right wing wacko if there ever was one, a train wreck waiting to happen. And I can't wait to see him crash. It's like watching the diluded wanna be singers on American Idol. Painful to the ears, but funny to watch all the same.

March 6, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  13. Michigan Voter

This, coming from a man who was addicted to pain killers and made racial comments while commentating on the NFL. Although I can't believe anyone would listen to this crazy man, you have to admit there were alot of Republicans that voted for Hillary this past Tuesday, simply because he said to do it.
    Wake up people! This is our country we are talking about!!! Vote for the best candidate that will represent it. Obama 08

March 6, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  14. Bubba

Rush saying something racist and unAmerican? Happens every five minutes, why are you wasting our time? He's a drug-addled moron who's never had a real job; I'd actually listen to Snoop Dogg before Rush. He's a relic of the old Twentieth who has little relevance today, much like his namesake rock band. Take off, hoser!

March 6, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  15. jo

Why is CNN reporting the garbage that this drug addict says. Is his opinion so important that it has to be reported? Please STOP already he is giving me an ulcer.

March 6, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  16. sensible Cape Coral Fl

I call him Rush "Limberg" after that cheese that smells like dirty diapers. It just so appropriate.

March 6, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  17. Sue

Hillary is a very powerful Senator from New York.
    She is respected and admired by the majority of citizens in NY.
    (Being a border state, her actions have also positively influenced our N.E. Region of PA.
    She is not going to give all that up to be the VP..
    That would be a demotion.
    So, the only way there is going to be a joint ticket, is if Hillary is the Presidential nominee.
    Alot of Dems will vote for McCain, if Obama, is our candidate.
    Do I want a wavering, inexperienced, charmer or the old warhorse?
    I will take the war horse, McCain.
    But experience, wisdom, common sense, intelligence, all make HIllary the better choice.
    At least as VP Obama can do no harm, and may grow into being Presidential material.
    Not Obama, not yet.
    Go HIll !!!!

March 6, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  18. Maryland

Rush Limbaugh is becoming the Al Sharpton of the conservative party. Who died and made his opinion the end all. He is one man and frankly I'm tired of hearing his opinion.

March 6, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  19. Polanco from New Jersey

Mr Rush I think you are having a problem with only thinking of such a ticket happening, so if I was you, you better stop dreaming or Mccain because Mccain is not going anywhere.
    Thanks

March 6, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  20. Patrick Anthony Drake

PRAYER #1.

March 6, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  21. Limbaugh Lemming

Limbaugh is a tool for the neocon-spricy. Most of what he says is just spin that "makes sense" but it's that last 5-10% of what he says really is a tool to get us to think the way that the neocons want us to.

I'm a recovering dittohead.

I used to listen to Rush all the time. But since I've stopped, I'm happy to say that I've recovered 12% percent of my normal brain function in a little over a month because I've started thinking for myself.

March 6, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  22. Paul C

The sad part is that anyone listens to this guy.
    As a supporter of the Bush fiasco I find it incredible that anyone would give him the time of day.

March 6, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  23. chiles

who takes this fat pill popping idiot serious

March 6, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  24. RightyTighty

Race and gender. The two 800 lb gorillas tearing apart the dem party while the "tolerant" are trying to ignore their existance. It just keeps getting better all the time.

Ha Ha!!

March 6, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  25. Roger Richard

Do I detect fear emitting from that racist, sexist, intolerant, Oxycontin-induced stupor called Rush Limbaugh? He is a crime against humanity, let alone un-American. Please, does CNN have to give this guy more air time than he already has. Turn off the air. No, turn off the life support.

March 6, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |