March 6th, 2008

Limbaugh: So-called 'Dream Ticket' doesn't have a prayer

Limbaugh said a ticket with Obama and Clinton doesn't have a prayer.
Limbaugh said a ticket with Obama and Clinton doesn't have a prayer.

(CNN) - Many Democrats have called the prospect of Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama teaming up for the general election a "dream ticket."

But conservative talk radio host Rush Limbaugh said Wednesday a presidential ticket that included a "woman and a black" doesn't "have a prayer."

"Let's say it is Obama and Hillary...Let's put Hillary at the top - That's a position she's familiar with," Limbaugh said on his radio show Thursday. "Therefore, you've got a woman and a black for the first time ever on the Democrat ticket. Ahem. They don't have a prayer."

Donna Brazile, Al Gores former presidential campaign manager, called the comments "un-American."

"I'm an American. And I'm proud to be an American," Brazile said on CNN's The Situation Room Wednesday. "But I think that comment is, as far as I can tell, a very un-American conversation, because African-Americans and women fight for this country. We have died for this country."

“To suggest, somehow or another, that we are not capable of serving this country in the capacity of Commander-in-Chief is just, in my mind, mind-boggling," she continued. "So, with all due respect to Mr. Limbaugh, just wait. Let the people decide. And I guarantee you, the people will make a better decision than Rush Limbaugh."

Limbaugh's comments came hours after Hillary Clinton said the Democratic presidential race could result in a joint ticket.

“That may be where this is headed,” she told CBS Wednesday morning. “But of course we have to decide who is on the top of ticket. I think the people of Ohio very clearly said that it should be me."

Obama later called any speculation of teaming up with Clinton "premature."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. stag

Nuwan is right...Sri Lanka should be the new model for the USA.

March 6, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  2. James

Rush is right, the democrats pointed the finger at republicans a few months ago for night picking one leader, now the roles have reversed, the Democrats are wasting time and showing themselves to be clueless. It would be a joke, no pure leader involved

March 6, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  3. Kim

He is faking like he is a Republican. He's is a undercover democrat voting for Hillary.

March 6, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  4. Roberto-B

Why are we listening to the ramblings of a know drug user.... his comment sounds as if he is under the influence of something more than his ususal racist, sexist, stupdity...Just say No Rush....or better yet .. No to Rush!!!!!!!!!

March 6, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  5. Al, Sacramento Ca

Just another right wing, Republican racist. He knows a Hillary-Obama ticket will blow McCain out of the water.

Haven't you all noticed Rush L. just doesn't like Obama?

March 6, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  6. Jared

This guy is an idiot. I just cant wait to see his face when a BLACK man or a WOMAN takes the office. Its funny how some republicans can be such idiots...i.e. George W. Bush

March 6, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  7. Brad

So I guess I am the only person who thinks it is odd that we only get one small part of the thought, but not the context in which it was used. If that was his entire thought on the matter then it might be suspicious, but I can almost guarantee it was not.

Oh, and by the way, I love all the comments on him being a worthless drug user (he DID have a problem with prescription drugs several years ago, but he ADMITTED this and got help for it). I guess that is the liberal way – character smears and not letting someone ever live down a mistake that they freely admit to and worked through.

March 6, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  8. kitty

Rush is an idiot.

March 6, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  9. Steve in Florida

I,ve lived tgrough the last Clinton administration, and let me tell you, it wasn,t very pretty. I cannot beleive that so many american citizens do not recognize that the Clinton,s are in this race for themselves and do not give a hoot for the average american. Like Hillary stated so elloquantly recently, this country cannot affoed all my programs. Why don,t we beleive her? I do.

March 6, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  10. Progressive Observer

I don't know how hearing a phone ring at 3 o'clock in the morning makes someone particularly qualified to answer it but the Clintons have several weeks to explain it. It will be great news for me because I get along very well with my doctor's husband of 15 years and it will be good to know he can jump in next time she's busy.

As for meeting foreign leaders and sitting on committee there was a whole field of Democratic candidates who could fit Clinton's experience in their wallet. That's not why you guys picked her. You're doing what we used to make fun of some Republicans for. You made a choice for one reason, you were comfortable with the name, you thought she had the best organization, you thought she could raise the most money -and now that all of that has been proven wrong instead of saying "Ok well you live you learn" some of you are tightening your grip. Why?

Hilary Clinton is not every wronged older woman. She is not a struggling housewife having her only chance to break even slip away. Clinton is an experienced politician who has used her spouse's connections and visiblity to get everything from a Directorship at Walmart to a seat in the US Senate.

If you want someone who will do anything and say anything to "win" then there is an argument to be made that Clinton is the best. Some would say you have this entire campaign including dragging us all into a civil war after losing twice as often as she won as proof of that. But if you want someone who agrees with most of her policy ideas, with some important distinctions and exceptions, but a candidate who has a completely different vision of how we should do poltics and the way we should interact with the rest of the world you may want to consider Barack Obama.

March 6, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  11. Forest, Irvine, CA

What a pathetic bunch of posters. Feel better after all of the childish name calling? The only reason CNN or anyother newscast puts Rush's comments on the air is for ratings. The guy's got 20 million listeners each week and I bet a third of them are people who hate him. CNN should put on some of the ridiculous comments from the far left radio personalities next to Rush's and let's see who's more ridiculous.

March 6, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  12. John

Why would Hillary want him as her VP? She would need to keep her back to the wall when he's around her.And he doesn't want her ,because she is smarter than he can ever hope to be
    No, the best hope for America is Hillary, she will change America for the better, and hope no one interferes,because YES SHE CAN.

March 6, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  13. Mike

Look, for the very last time, Obama's platform is "CHANGE". If he brings Hillary along, that is not "CHANGE". What do you not understand. Even my 5th grader understands this.

March 6, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  14. AKR, NYC, NY

Yeah, like Democrats should really listen to this drugged out gasbag,.. CNN, why give importance to this hatemonger?

March 6, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  15. John

Poor Rush. Throwing a tantrum because the outdated, antiquated brand of conservatism he's become rich off of endorsing is fading away. The people no longer support this failed ideology.

March 6, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  16. Richard

Obama and Hillary both have very positive characteristics regardless of what their neysayers have to say. Obama is energizing the base and youth in this country in a way that hasn't been seen in decades and Hillary DOES have the experience and know how to get things done in this broken system of government we have. I think the "Dream Ticket" could be perfect with Hillary on top. She can begin making the changes necessary to bring about substantial reform in washington while Obama continues to energize the citizens. In 8 years, Obama will have the tools and experience to complete the reform of washington. I supported Obama in the primary because I think in the end we need the change he is selling. I'm not so sure he can accomplish that change on his own and with the limited experience he has. The Dream Ticket could mean 16 years of democratic rule in the whitehouse. If hillary makes it 8 years we know obama will make it another 8. Go Clinton/Obama!!!!!!!!

March 6, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  17. Sam

Rush L. is good at making Taliban like comments. This is not an american thing. He can say whatever he wants but for him to comment this kind of idiocy is Talibanism.

Adios

March 6, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  18. Hill Girl

If you are a Rush Limbaugh fan, you take everything he says at face value. If you are not a Rush Limbaugh fan, you know that most of what he says is based on his own opinion and rarely on facts. I thought he told people to vote for Hillary to shake up the Democrats and extend the primary debate. Seems like he should be happy with a woman and a black man on the ticket if he thinks it will help McCain.

March 6, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  19. Nins

There is NO WAYthat I would accept Obama as the presidents and there is NO WAY I would accept him as the vice-president. I believe that Hillary Clinton knows more qualified people to be on her ticket for vice-president. I think Edwards would be a good choice.

March 6, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  20. Matthew Temple

I'm getting tired of reading the stupid comments of someone who is a bigot, sexist, racist, and a hippocrate on cnn.com. Come on, guys. America has thousands of equitable and intelligent people who can comment on such issues without being, well, simply un-American.

March 6, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  21. Bethany

There's nothing that the fat blowhard says that's even remotely newsworthy anymore. Why would anyone quote him? The next quote I want to hear from this drug addict is, "I quit."

March 6, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  22. K in CT

The "dream" will be that, we the people, elect a President who will bring this nation back to the forefront of the World. We need to stop being "politically correct" and get down to the real business of straightning out ALL of our United States problems and really helping the people who are the Voters who elect the President. That is if the ( "media's ) will let US make the decision! I think we need an individual who is capable of multi-tasking. Not some ole geezer that just wants to get the glory and the $$. The road to the "here after" is not a glory road and all the long dead past presidents are just that. Dead. We need someone to stand up and shake the tree, and let things fall where they can be picked up and put in the proper place.

March 6, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  23. Michael David/Walla Walla, Wa

Rush Limbaugh's comments are both sexist and racist, reflecting his own biogtry and the biogtry of the far-right, Republicans. Ho Hum, what else is new?

March 6, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  24. John Indinapolis

Oh my god. For the first time in my life, I am truelly scared for my country. On the one hand we have the wife of a former president who manipulated and gamed her way all the way to the top and may really be our leader and nobody seems to see throgh her and now
    a major publication, seems to care about what this big fat draft dodging blowhard thinks.

March 6, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  25. Alan, Bonita Springs, FL

Once again Rush Limbaugh proves he's an airheaded bigot. Dittoheads keep this in mind - you are proudly declaring yourself to be following someone who is completely out of touch with reality and reflects the REAL core values of the Republican party with every hate-filled word he spews out over the air.

I am amazed, after decrying ALL abusers of drugs as "addicts," then being caught with illegal drugs himself, that anyone takes one word this "man" says seriously.

March 6, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |