March 6th, 2008

Limbaugh: So-called 'Dream Ticket' doesn't have a prayer

Limbaugh said a ticket with Obama and Clinton doesn't have a prayer.
Limbaugh said a ticket with Obama and Clinton doesn't have a prayer.

(CNN) - Many Democrats have called the prospect of Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama teaming up for the general election a "dream ticket."

But conservative talk radio host Rush Limbaugh said Wednesday a presidential ticket that included a "woman and a black" doesn't "have a prayer."

"Let's say it is Obama and Hillary...Let's put Hillary at the top - That's a position she's familiar with," Limbaugh said on his radio show Thursday. "Therefore, you've got a woman and a black for the first time ever on the Democrat ticket. Ahem. They don't have a prayer."

Donna Brazile, Al Gores former presidential campaign manager, called the comments "un-American."

"I'm an American. And I'm proud to be an American," Brazile said on CNN's The Situation Room Wednesday. "But I think that comment is, as far as I can tell, a very un-American conversation, because African-Americans and women fight for this country. We have died for this country."

“To suggest, somehow or another, that we are not capable of serving this country in the capacity of Commander-in-Chief is just, in my mind, mind-boggling," she continued. "So, with all due respect to Mr. Limbaugh, just wait. Let the people decide. And I guarantee you, the people will make a better decision than Rush Limbaugh."

Limbaugh's comments came hours after Hillary Clinton said the Democratic presidential race could result in a joint ticket.

“That may be where this is headed,” she told CBS Wednesday morning. “But of course we have to decide who is on the top of ticket. I think the people of Ohio very clearly said that it should be me."

Obama later called any speculation of teaming up with Clinton "premature."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Buddy, OR

Have another Oxy you absolute horror of a human being. Reps like you make it hard for me to like even middle road Reps like McCain. I take joy in the fact that the best the Reps could do for a Pres nominee is man who made his bone in the senate working with and voting with Dems.
    That is no way ment to be a knock on McCain. I admire his most of his ideas and his willingness to compromise.
    A ticket with both Hillary and Obama, regardless who is on top would be historic and most likly produce a margin of victory for the record book.

March 6, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  2. BigAce

I don't like Rush, but I agree 100%. Just look at the venom and hate on these boards between the Obama and Hillary supporters. Neither one wants to play second fiddle and Obama definitely won't want to serve with someone who has attacked and smeared him.

Then again its politics, and politics makes strange bedfellows.

March 6, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  3. RLG Virginia

To describe Mr. Limbaugh as a turd would be an insult to what I leave in the bowl each day following my morning constitutional.

Why exactly is anything that this lying, bigoted, hypocritical, drug-addled inbred says still considered "news?"

March 6, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  4. Christian, Tampa FL

Despicable. But look at who we're talking about.

On the contrary, I think that the ticket would have a power and aura around it that would inherently give an advantage going into the general. The problem is that they might not get along too well in an administration. But maybe they can get over it for the sake of the American people.

March 6, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  5. Mark in Denver

Rush Limbaugh? How irrelevant can you get? Hypocritical, chicken hawk, junkie. Hard to believe he still has an audience! Then again maybe it's not. Pitching racist or sexist statements to people so ignorant they don't even recognize it! This is entertainment?

March 6, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  6. Julie Cade

Giving Limbaugh any coverage just feeds the beast. Extinguish behavior by ignoring it.

March 6, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  7. John, St. Louis, MO

I'm sure that everyone posting a comment heard the remarks in context. Right? Just like Michelle Obama's comments about not being proud to be an American, or am I taking that out of context? Or Barak Obama's comments on cancelling NAFTA. Or HRC's comments about how she's being treated unfairly because she's a woman. Or Bill Clinton's comments about blacks in North Carolina.

I guess taking CNN's word for it is enough context for some. Talk about not wanting to think for yourself.

March 6, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  8. Pistol Pete

According to the CNN report, Rush did not say Obama and Hillary were not capable. He said they didn't stand a chance. I interpret that to mean America is not ready to elect a woman and a black, both for the first time. As much as I hate to defend Rush, I tend to agree, I do not see American's being ready to elect both regardless of their capabilities.

March 6, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  9. Beth

Once Obama defeats both Hillary and the Republicans she tacitly accepts help from in the Democratic Party primary, he will smash McCain in November. The Republicans know this, EVERY RNC internal polling indicates that their turnout and resources will be substantially less against Obama than it would be if Hillary were the Democratic nominee. It should be noted that Republican governor Crist is calling for the Democratic delegates from Michigan and Florida to be seated at the convention.

The Conservative Party in Canada played down overtures from Hillary's camp wink winking about NAFTA and released a FALSE memo about Obama in time ti help the Republican effort to secure the vote for Hillary in Ohio. Obama has been completely exonerated, and their is an investigation of the Canadian government for tampering with American politics on behalf of the Republican party over the false memo.

America needs Obama, and the actions of Hillary in partnering with Republicans proves this.

March 6, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  10. Brady

I love to hear all the bickering in these comments. If the Democratic party keeps it up, it'll just pull itself to pieces and nobody stands a chance. Why don't we all just get along, agree on a candidate, and get those nasty tax cutting conservatives out of office!

March 6, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  11. Mike

While his comments were a bit drastic, he does bring up a good point. Lets face it, there is still a lot of racism and sexism in America and an Obama/Clinton ticket would be doomed from the start.

I think everyone here is missing the point, including Donna Brazile. Rush did not say one thing about Hilary or Obama's ability to do the job because of their sex or race. It seems to me people on this forum are overracting and mis-interpreting his point. I believe, sadly, that in many cases, what Rush said is accurate.

I don't listen to Rush and really have never listed to him. However, people should look at what he said instead of jumping to hasty conclusions.

March 6, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  12. Pepou

I have a great suggestion for Hillary. Take Limbaugh as your running mate.

March 6, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  13. R

Limbaugh is fool, always has been a fool and will never be anything but a fool. His cronies are fools also.

March 6, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  14. Adam

Rush Limbaugh is becoming the Al Sharpton of the conservative party.

And that is what will destory the party. A fool with a microphone. A junkie.

March 6, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  15. Kenneth

Rush is the example of why I don't understand why we even have Replubicans. All of you who belong to the Republican party are actually tied to a nut like this. And isn't Rush a drugee? I have proof that he is actually really an unfair wimp after he told Republicans to vote for Hillary during the Texas primary. This proves how immature and nasty he is. Just think, we actually have folks in this country who like him.

March 6, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  16. Max

The guy is a racist and a moron; it's as simple as that. If both candidates are so unelectable then why are SO many people coming out and voting for them? If a 'black' is so unelectable in this political climate, then why has Obama attracted more donations, supporters and excitement than any candidate since Jack Kennedy? Mr. Limbaugh is an idiot who purely appeals to similar idiots in the far-right wing of the Republican party. His political knowledge is evidently lacking.

March 6, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  17. bryan

I take Rush's comments with the same weight as Paris Hilton. CNN please start to report the news and not for entertainment value. Thanks

March 6, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  18. 301

Rush Limbaugh is harmless. If CNN really wanted a reaction and more hits on their ticker, they'd start reporting about the thoughts and ideas coming out of the MIchael Savage show. Now there's a dangerous nutcase!

March 6, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  19. Jim Kansas

Was going to comment, but as I thought about it, why bother, it would only made Rush think someone cares what he is saying.

March 6, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  20. Patrick

I myself have never really understood this to be a "dream ticket". Hillary would never be 2nd in anything because she is greedy and self centered. Obama we all know would not want to be in her shadow either. So I don't see this happening at all.

March 6, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  21. LostFigs

Oh, jeezzzz.... Somebody get him a Valium or whatever he's taking these days. This is coming from the guy who made fun of Michael Fox for being shameful enough to have an uncurable disease?

March 6, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  22. Marsh

Nothing that comes out of Rush Limbaugh's mouth surprises me. He is an irrelevant hard-core republican relic of the past. I suspect that Senator McCain will distance himself from Limbaugh's comments. In fairness though, you do have to consider that Rush was probably over-medicated at the time he made those statements.

March 6, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  23. Yttebetty

WHY does CNN give this nimrod Limbaugh any press coverage whatsoever????? Wake up CNN, this guy is an idiot, always was an idiot, and always will be an idiot. The only reason he ever grew to "prominence" was because the ultra conservatives, including the hypocritical Fox News, gave him the ability & power. I still keep hoping people will wake up and finally see Fox News for the slime bag network they are (espousing "conservative values" and then showing some of the worst trash on TV) and also hoping people will start to think for themselves instead of letting bigoted trouble makers like Limbaugh & O'Reilly tell them what to think.
    Oh, and the "dream ticket".... ONLY if it's Clinton/Obama. I just can't support Barack yet. Once he learns to do more than just give a good speech, then maybe so. Right now, I'm afraid if Obama is the nominee then we can just go ahead and give the White House to McCain (and that's a little scary in itself).

March 6, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  24. Texas Jay

Black People don't want to see Obama as HIllary's VP.

Sorry ladys.

Give it up.

March 6, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  25. Doofus

Why is CNN quoting this sewer dweller? Who CARES what he thinks? He's nothing but a drug-addicted, right-wing hack shilling for the Rethuglican party. If you're going to use his comments as the basis of news stories, then you are obligated to do the same thing for the comments of, say, Rachel Maddow, Ed Schultz or other left-leaning radio commentators. Please, demonstrate some journalistic ethics.

March 6, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |