March 6th, 2008

Limbaugh: So-called 'Dream Ticket' doesn't have a prayer

Limbaugh said a ticket with Obama and Clinton doesn't have a prayer.
Limbaugh said a ticket with Obama and Clinton doesn't have a prayer.

(CNN) - Many Democrats have called the prospect of Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama teaming up for the general election a "dream ticket."

But conservative talk radio host Rush Limbaugh said Wednesday a presidential ticket that included a "woman and a black" doesn't "have a prayer."

"Let's say it is Obama and Hillary...Let's put Hillary at the top - That's a position she's familiar with," Limbaugh said on his radio show Thursday. "Therefore, you've got a woman and a black for the first time ever on the Democrat ticket. Ahem. They don't have a prayer."

Donna Brazile, Al Gores former presidential campaign manager, called the comments "un-American."

"I'm an American. And I'm proud to be an American," Brazile said on CNN's The Situation Room Wednesday. "But I think that comment is, as far as I can tell, a very un-American conversation, because African-Americans and women fight for this country. We have died for this country."

“To suggest, somehow or another, that we are not capable of serving this country in the capacity of Commander-in-Chief is just, in my mind, mind-boggling," she continued. "So, with all due respect to Mr. Limbaugh, just wait. Let the people decide. And I guarantee you, the people will make a better decision than Rush Limbaugh."

Limbaugh's comments came hours after Hillary Clinton said the Democratic presidential race could result in a joint ticket.

“That may be where this is headed,” she told CBS Wednesday morning. “But of course we have to decide who is on the top of ticket. I think the people of Ohio very clearly said that it should be me."

Obama later called any speculation of teaming up with Clinton "premature."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Nuwan Samaranayake

Rush Limbaugh is a disgrace to the values of this nation. I wonder why any wise person would even listen to that sort of talk that lacks any moral judgement.

I am all for a woman president and a black white president. That would say this country has gone beyond the mental boundaries we have created in the past. That is good process. I am from Sri Lanka which elected first woman head of state in the world in 1970. I think this country is ready for that change now. The Rush Limbaugh's time of male dominace is over. The support around these two candidates is a good indication of that.

Nuwan from Houston, Texas

March 6, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  2. Amy, Kazoo

why doesn't Rush pick a fellow know-it-all hate monger like Ann Coulter and they can run for the office. I'm sure they'll get very far. Probably right up to the gate.

March 6, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  3. Terry, Dallas Texas

IDIOT. IDIOT. IDIOT.

Did i mention this man is an idiot?

March 6, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  4. cbc

Obviously, long term cigar smoking has taken it's toll...
    Nothing to see here, folks...let's move on.

March 6, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  5. Julie from MD

What Rush says is irrelevant.

Rush, Ann Coulter, and other right-winged nuts with no hobbies don't deserve attention from CNN. It only fuels their egos and makes us laugh.

March 6, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  6. Vince - Phoenix

Mike, 'really'....

get over yourself. everyone else has moved on.

March 6, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  7. OhioVoter

Old Rushie - trying the reverse psychology. Maybe the "Jeff Conway of Talk Radio" is a little afraid of the dream ticket so he's denigrating it. Let's be clear. If all the people who voted for HRC and OHB voted for the Democratic ticket, the GOP would be store for a good, old-fashioned butt-kicking.

So Rushie, take a chill pill–no, not another oxycotin–and wait to how the Dream Ticket destroys McCain in November.

March 6, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  8. larry

Obama will not lower himself to be on the ticket with that scumbag.

March 6, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  9. Gregory

I guess the other 27 states she lost don't count huh? How do you claim momemtum when you've lost 12 out of 15 primaries, and you're loosing the TX caucus? Oh yeah, two more L's are coming on Saturday and Tuesday and there's still that 1M vote deficit to consider, or not consider depending on which side you're on.

March 6, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  10. Earl

If you don't like comment boards about Rush, then don't post on them. CNN will keep citing him as long as it solicits a response.

March 6, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  11. Todd C.

Rush Limbaugh is a big, fat idiot.

March 6, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  12. Bullshattuck

Although I'm a democrat, I think it would be a brilliant move for John McCain to ask Condaleeza Rice to be his running mate.

Which begs the question – would Limbaugh have a problem with a candidate who is both african american AND a woman?

I'm guessing that because she's a Republican, he would suddenly change his tune...

March 6, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  13. Jose Card - Independent

Obama/Hillary or Hillary/Obama has one big problem.
    Either will need a running mate with proven executive experience in a governor. Also, there are too many that will vote for anybody but Hillary.

Although we have been daring in many firsts in the world, Americans are, in general, more conservative and less educated than our European friends. I am not surprised at Limbaugh's comment, especially during this period of time.

March 6, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  14. Offended Black Woman

CNN, why are you religiously reporting Limbaugh's views? Every Tom, Dick and Harry with a talk show has an opinion and I don't see you reporting on those opinions. So why is Limbaugh getting the VIP treatment? Please, don't bombard us with this nonsense. Having his view appear on the ticker once is once too many times. Thank you.

March 6, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  15. Yankee Dog

Why is CNN even bothering to mention this slime ball, pervert, druggie. What ever comes out of his fat mouth is complete bs and everyone knows it. I can't even read the quote without wanting to puke.

March 6, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  16. Mike Birmingham, AL

Did Rush say this before or after he snorted a few rails of Oxycontin?

March 6, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  17. david

the real question is why does CNN keep reporting on Rush??? i have seen more headlines about his irrelevant idiotic comments lately than I have of Anderson cooper. If Rush happens to find one of those flying pie charts they are likely to give him his own prime time show.

March 6, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  18. Sara

It has been said before, Rush Limbaugh is the Jeff Conaway of right-wing radio and who the heck cares about what he says? Honestly, hasn't he already proven that his brain is the size of speck of sand? He's an idiot, and I, along with most of the American people, don't care to listen to idiots.

March 6, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  19. A Bag of Chips

I don't think it will happen, especially now with all the sniping on both sides. Whoever heads the ticket will have to explain why they chose this person who you,only a few months ago, questioned their integrity.

That being said, I think from strickly a strategic point of view, the ticket will be hard to beat because Obama attracts the young and people who want change and Hilary attracts women and some of the old school Democrats.

March 6, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  20. Big Tex

Once again, Rush proves the only thing he can "get up" is a stupid comment.

March 6, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  21. Dusacre

Who cares?

March 6, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  22. TheLeftNut

CNN keeps post Limbaugh stories because the poster called "Limbaugh Lemming" is frickin hillarious.

March 6, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  23. Verne

The smear campaign has gone both ways. I think Obama would gain more knowledge and be better prepared for the presidental position serving under Hilary as Vice President even if only for one term.
    If he wins the election this term, I think he'll have to pay the piper as soon as he sits down in the oval office.

March 6, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  24. Trollmaster

The guy running with the plan of destroying the US economy with a 100 year war with Iraq does not have a prayer. Rush needs to get a clue. He's so out of touch.

Rush has supported proven failed GOP policies that have hurt this nation big time. The only value his opinion has is we know what not to believe in.

March 6, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  25. jan25

Hillary is claiming what is not hers- that is her husbands experience.
    Republicans vote for her because she has so much baggage she is easy to beatin november.
    If she bullies evryone to give her the nomination, I will not vote or if I do, it will be for "Mcsame as Bush". scarry prospect.

March 6, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |