March 6th, 2008

Limbaugh: So-called 'Dream Ticket' doesn't have a prayer

Limbaugh said a ticket with Obama and Clinton doesn't have a prayer.
Limbaugh said a ticket with Obama and Clinton doesn't have a prayer.

(CNN) - Many Democrats have called the prospect of Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama teaming up for the general election a "dream ticket."

But conservative talk radio host Rush Limbaugh said Wednesday a presidential ticket that included a "woman and a black" doesn't "have a prayer."

"Let's say it is Obama and Hillary...Let's put Hillary at the top - That's a position she's familiar with," Limbaugh said on his radio show Thursday. "Therefore, you've got a woman and a black for the first time ever on the Democrat ticket. Ahem. They don't have a prayer."

Donna Brazile, Al Gores former presidential campaign manager, called the comments "un-American."

"I'm an American. And I'm proud to be an American," Brazile said on CNN's The Situation Room Wednesday. "But I think that comment is, as far as I can tell, a very un-American conversation, because African-Americans and women fight for this country. We have died for this country."

“To suggest, somehow or another, that we are not capable of serving this country in the capacity of Commander-in-Chief is just, in my mind, mind-boggling," she continued. "So, with all due respect to Mr. Limbaugh, just wait. Let the people decide. And I guarantee you, the people will make a better decision than Rush Limbaugh."

Limbaugh's comments came hours after Hillary Clinton said the Democratic presidential race could result in a joint ticket.

“That may be where this is headed,” she told CBS Wednesday morning. “But of course we have to decide who is on the top of ticket. I think the people of Ohio very clearly said that it should be me."

Obama later called any speculation of teaming up with Clinton "premature."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Mark, Detroit Michigan

who cares what Limbaugh thinks or says? apparently only CNN and a few rednecks down south..pay no attention to him and he'll eventually go away.

March 6, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  2. Anonymous

I just got the scoop on The chicago crook that Obamo bought his house from...It goes like this..You know i'm going to court and i'll do everything i can to get you elected if u will pardon me after youre in..Obamo goes..DEAL!!

March 6, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  3. Mike, Arkansas

He congratulated Clinton - something she rarely does

March 6, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  4. Vet in S.A.

Rush is great, he'll say something just like that and laugh to get ya'll riled up, it obviously worked.

March 6, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  5. Mike Sullivan

I'm a republican, and Rush's comments are despicable.

March 6, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  6. Grif

You opened the "Window', on, what is this Ladies Secret?

So why can't Hillary win the Race in Wyoming on the 8th March.

Go Hillary ....................

March 6, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  7. Kings

I just wonder if Obama will surprise us all by having a liberal Republican as his VP?

It wouldn't surprise me since Obama has always been a champion of bringing both sides together and defying old washington party politics.

March 6, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  8. Bill from NC

I wish CNN would stop reporting what this idiot says. This vile, sexist, racist, self-indulgent bigot doesn't deserve the time of day!

March 6, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  9. cookootoo

NO dream ticket!

March 6, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  10. Vet in S.A.

CNN reports this because he has the biggest radio audience you morons, he is so right about you guys.....

March 6, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  11. CB

Rush is probably right, the "Archie Bunkers' of America" will no doubt rally, like they did in Ohio, to prevent "the Dream" from happening. It's amazing how Rush's comments has got people thinking in the negative. One minute he's a Clinton sleeper agent, then a agent of bigotry and next a loyal American. Stay off the drugs RUSH, you are beginning to sound a lot like that Archie Bunker character!

March 6, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  12. Uncle Sam

Although personally for John McCain, I believe that most Americans are proud of the fact that we have serious candidates from a diversity of backgrounds. It indicates that we are willing to consider presidential hopefuls regardless of their gender or race. Perhaps in the not too distant future, we will also select our president based less on party affiliation and more on the character of the person.

March 6, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  13. Julie

I think its great to mention Rush's comment. It reminds Democrats that party unity is necessary to make sure we beat conservative kooks like him.

Keep it up Rush and we might get our dream ticket after all just to spite you and watch you implode when the win...

March 6, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  14. Alex

I adore Donna Brazile!! She's my favorite on CNN!

March 6, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  15. Brandon

News to CNN... Democratic voters couldn't care less what this blow hard thinks... Why are you even paying attention to him? This is the same conservative hipocryte that railed against drug addicts while he was stealing prescription drugs that he himself was addicted to?

March 6, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  16. errata

please fix your 'clinton leads obama in texas caucuses' headline. it should read 'obama leads clinton...'

March 6, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  17. Jackie

Go Donna.....Rush is and always has been UnAmerican. We have all come to expect this kind of crap from him.

I really appreciate your coverage of the race and your tempered opinions.

I also think that Roland Martin's comments last night that he would get Blacks to vote against Democrats if Hillary Clinton won as pretty Anti-American too. They were also pretty much race baiting. CNN has recently turned a corner as far as I can tell.

Obama is a great man. Hillary is a great woman. McCain is a hero with the wrong plan for America.

March 6, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  18. IndependentbyChoice

Does anyone even listen to Rush Limbaugh besides the rural extreme right? The same extreme right that follows anyone blindly as long as they are white and have a talk radio show? Pretty pathetic way to try and grab media attention.... Just be glad he doesn't have a TV show....then you'd have to hear him and see him....

March 6, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  19. Grif

Now I know why I have trouble with my comments!!!

Hillary winning the "Caucus"" Who's working the Blog????

Texas???????????????????

March 6, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  20. TooBad

You guys that think Rush is a non-factor are kidding yourselves. Do a little research. The man has 13.5 million weekly listeners. Sure, his audience isn't the size of Oprah's, but it's definitely not too shabby. And he's on the air for three hours every single weekday. Like it or not, the guy has some serious pull.

March 6, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  21. JD, Pittsburgh, PA

If a Clinton/Obama ticket actually materialized Rush knows it's a ticket that would guarantee the Democrats winning the general election. No doubt he feels the Republicans have a chance if they can beat up on one of the candidates; but both, no way.

March 6, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  22. Goodheart

Rush is in love with Hillary. He's hiding it like he hid his drug habit. What was his comment about Hillary always being on top. The guy is out of his mind making comments like that.

March 6, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  23. From PA

Seems like Obama has a memo out-on to look for anything that can be twisted as racism for BO advantage..........this was reported in the news.........I think the MEDIA Should make a big deal of this....

THIS SHOWS THAT BO WOULD DO ANYTHING TO WIN!!

I want BO 2005 Tax return released!!!

BO is not a presidential or VP candidate.....I don't think he is a good senator in Illinois either.....I have doubts he would be re-elected in Illinois....than again politics is so corrupted in illinois.....he can a another helpful repeat!!

Someone...anyone.....abc, nbc, cnn.....anyone please do some real journalism and look into who Obama is.

March 6, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  24. Dave

Limbaugh is a moron, but that doesn't change the fact that there are plenty of independents out there who would vote for Obama, but would stay home or vote for McCain if Hillary was on the ticket.

March 6, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  25. Thomas, St. Petersburg, FL

In my view, John McCain should select Condi Rice or Colin Powell as his running mate.

Any fair minded person would agree that the credentials of Rice and Powell are far superior to those of Hillary and Obama.

Go, Johnny, go...