March 6th, 2008

Obama radio ad targets Clinton’s Mississippi comments

(CNN) – Barack Obama’s campaign has debuted a new radio ad in Mississippi called "Respect," highlighting what they call “derogatory” remarks Hillary Clinton made about the state late last year.

The ad also argues that Obama will “practice his Christian faith by respecting us” - an apparent push-back against the false Muslim rumors that have dogged him throughout the campaign.

In the 30-second spot, former Mississippi Governor Ray Mabus, an Obama supporter, derides Clinton for comments she made last fall singling out the state’s record of electing female politicians.

"I was shocked when I learned Iowa and Mississippi have never elected a woman governor, senator or member of Congress," Clinton told the Des Moines Register in October. "There has got to be something at work here. How can Iowa be ranked with Mississippi? That's not the quality. That's not the communitarianism, that's not the openness I see in Iowa.'"

Mabus accuses the Clinton campaign of calling Mississippi voters “second class.”

“Now I don’t know about you, but I’m tired of people putting us down,” Mabus says in the ad. “Tired of politicians trying to divide our nation instead of lifting it up.”

Mississippi voters head to the polls next Tuesday, March 11, with 33 Democratic delegates at stake.

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby
  1. derek

...And yet isn't it still true that Mississippi still has "never elected a woman governor, senator or member of Congress"? Ahem. Maybe Mabus could have taken this opportunity to pledge to advocate for women in his state instead... or even Obama. There was actually a more positive counter argument in there, if you were going to bother.

March 6, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  2. Craig of Salisbury

Obama will win In Wyoming and Mississippi. He will then go on to win the nomination. My hope is that he selects John Edwards as his running mate, but I'm open to anyone except Clinton.

Regarding the argument that only Clinton can win the general election–that is a very shallow and superficial argument. The fact is that the democratic candidate for the presidency will benefit from the tremendous turnout of democratic voters. Obama WILL get the votes in the so-called big states.

March 6, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  3. Lorraine

Hillary clinton says that she is fighting for voters. That's a lie! She is fighting to get back into the White House. She doesn't care about anything but her own ambitions and will do anything to win the presidency. She and Bill have made so many deals under the table that she must win the presidency to pay back all the deals made. I would not support Hillary even if she did receive the Democratic nomination.

Now she trying to get the delegates seated from Michigan and Florida. She wants people to think she wants their voices to be heard. She could care less about these voters or their voices. The only reason she wants these delegates seated is she thinks it will add to her delegate count. If she were leading in the delegate count, she would be fighting to keep these delegates from being seated, especially since she along with the other candidates, as well as the state democratic party and both governors all agreed that the delegates would not count when these states jumped the date for their respective primaries. Hillary does not do anything unless there is something in it for her. She says she is a fighter until her opponent gets the best of her, then she will FAKE the tears/emotion to try to make others feel sorry for her. She is not to be trusted and if she steals this nomination, I will vote as an Independent, and call on others who still care about a fair process to do the same.

March 6, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  4. Robert B

I find it funny that people are critisizing Obama for going on the offensive. They say things like "I thought he was supposed to be different." Or, they call him a hypocrite.

I don't see any other way he can defend himself other than going on the offensive. He has been on the defense this entire campaign and I believe he, as well as half the nation, is sick of it. I know I am.

Hillary points out the dumbest of dumb things and it makes me wonder why people listen to her. Have any of the Hillary supporters looked into the Clinton scams? They do exist, you know.

March 6, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  5. Midge from Ohio

Mississippi was also the state that DIDN'T ratify the Nineteenth Amendment (giving women the RIGHT to vote) until 1984. Can you believe that? They obviously still believe women are inferior. Vote for Obama, we don't need or want your votes. You are uneducated backwoods people who don't do your research..
    HILLARY '08