March 6th, 2008

Obama radio ad targets Clinton’s Mississippi comments

(CNN) – Barack Obama’s campaign has debuted a new radio ad in Mississippi called "Respect," highlighting what they call “derogatory” remarks Hillary Clinton made about the state late last year.

The ad also argues that Obama will “practice his Christian faith by respecting us” - an apparent push-back against the false Muslim rumors that have dogged him throughout the campaign.

In the 30-second spot, former Mississippi Governor Ray Mabus, an Obama supporter, derides Clinton for comments she made last fall singling out the state’s record of electing female politicians.

"I was shocked when I learned Iowa and Mississippi have never elected a woman governor, senator or member of Congress," Clinton told the Des Moines Register in October. "There has got to be something at work here. How can Iowa be ranked with Mississippi? That's not the quality. That's not the communitarianism, that's not the openness I see in Iowa.'"

Mabus accuses the Clinton campaign of calling Mississippi voters “second class.”

“Now I don’t know about you, but I’m tired of people putting us down,” Mabus says in the ad. “Tired of politicians trying to divide our nation instead of lifting it up.”

Mississippi voters head to the polls next Tuesday, March 11, with 33 Democratic delegates at stake.

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby
  1. Dionne Bennett

How can we allow the rules of the game to be changed in the middle of the game. FL and MI knew the consequences for moving up there primary date. How can anyone say count the delegates when Obama's Name was not on the ballot in MI.????????? The Clintons have a history of owed favors!! If we really wont to bring a Fresh New way to do business vote for someone new~~~~ Plus who trust Florida we saw with Gore how trust worthy they really are!!!!!

Oh and by the way..Lets make sure Hillary shares 2006 taxes before she annouced her running for pres. 2007 Im sure she was v ery careful............

March 6, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  2. aware

Sexism and racism are alive and well! Barack has used both but he can't buy the primary or the general. Barack lied about Canada, and we await the R bomb. way to go America.

Hillary the HOPE of 08 and the wise choice! Yes, we will! :)

March 6, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  3. Surane Fonseka

To Mad In Texas

Why should Obama go back to Kenya? Is it because his father was black? What about his mother? She was white and Obama was brought up by his mother and maternal grand parents.

Your comment stinks of racism. I am not surprised that you are supporting Hillary and Bill Clinton.

March 6, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  4. Ingrid

To the person who said that CNN is biased toward Clinton. Are you joking. CNN has never been friendly to Clinton. There is no proof about Clinton's NAFTA-gate or whatever you like to call it. Obama obviously has said and done things that were direct lies to you, his supporters. Face it. You don't have to paint him as a saint to prove why you like him. He has done nothing worthy of how high you put him up. He will let you down. There is absolutely no question. You just wasted 55 million giving money to a person who bought his back yard from a crook. If your own family bought your yard from a crook who is a friend, what does that make your family? Would YOU be proud?

March 6, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  5. Lou

Hey Obama, respect me and call to have all the votes counted!!!

I voted for you and I am so disapointed you do not want the Florida Votes counted because you lost... So now You are a looser and if you get the nomination you lost my vote.

March 6, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  6. Cindy

Don't cha see? She was trying to make Mississippi feel guilty and beat out Iowa by voting for a woman for a change.

It should work, shouldn't it?

Wait a minute... how did she do in Iowa, anyway? Ok, nevermind....

March 6, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  7. lowland

pal....do the math?

You re right hilary can not win but neither can obama. With out Fl or Mi or without super delegates neither will cross the magic number. Stop throwing that around like Obama has it locked in!

March 6, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  8. DVW

Why aren't you reporting about Clinton Nafta-Gate?
    It is all over the Web??
    Where is CNN on this story?
    Why are you suppresing this story and showing reports on Hillary and experience instead?

March 6, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  9. mm,ma

I have a new name for Obama, He is a vending machine, he gives out promises on demand.

March 6, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  10. ademocrat

To James – if Obama gets the Democratic nomination , all those
    red states he thinks he won- will go RED.

They were as we say in the South – "just fun- in " in the Democratic
    primaries.

March 6, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  11. Suzanne

Um Kevin, Clinton took campaign contributions from Rezko and has closer ties to him than Obama.

Do your homework.

March 6, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  12. david

I have noticed that CNN posts cheap comments of Hillary supporters against Sen. Obama. But when you write logical and convincing comments agaisnt Hillary they dont post it. I do survey of these commennts. I find more that 70 percent of the comments agaisnt OBama which lack minimum civility. I have been doing this survey over a time period. I will post the report soon. somewhere. CNN is really low.

March 6, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  13. Keisha

HRC said these words out of her own mouth about Mississipi. It's not an attack just because you bring what she said to light.

March 6, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  14. B. Smart

. . . . HILLARY'S KITE WON'T FLY IN MISSISSIPPI, EVERYONE HERE KNOWS WHAT SHE IS. Google Clinton Scandals. We have morals here.

OBAMA 08.

March 6, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  15. mm,ma

Obama should grow up and stop crying. He has been whining since he started running and I am sure his grandmother from kenya would weigh in and say its true.

March 6, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  16. v.ananthan

I DO SEE A LOT OF HATRED AGAINST HILLARY CLINTON ...

WE ARE NORMAL PEOPLE WHO SUPPORT HILLARY CLINTON AND WE DO THAT BECAUSE WE THINK SHE IS A BETTER CANDIDATE...

SUPPORTING HILLARY DOESN^T MEAN THAT WE DON^T RESPECT OBAMA....

March 6, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  17. janis

Why can't Obama continue to take the High Road? Mr. Obama points out what America is suppose to be and reconnect with eachother. What's happened to: "WE THE PEOPLE ?? OR
    FOR THE PEOPLE BY THE PEOPLE?"
    Ask the Americans do they really want an "impeached President to enter into a Clinton Dynasty after the Bush Dynasty. Americans not only want a change, but need Hope that we can be an honest and strong leader. Remember.....THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE !!!
    YES WE CAN !!

March 6, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  18. Ben

Senator Obama took a statement that Clinton made last year and uses it in a radio ad. This ad might be considered negative, but it is fair.

March 6, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  19. Liz

Whoa....NO ONE in these campaigns has put Americans down more than Obama's wife!

As for the male bias in Iowa and Missouri, Hillary has a point. Don't shoot the messenger, hear the message, resolve to become better at integration.

March 6, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  20. JWK

Obama doesn't have what it takes to run the country. Clinton is too derisive to do any good. McCain is more Democrat than Republican. Still, I have a problem. If I vote for Obama I am called a sexist. If I vote for Clinton then I'm called a racist. If I vote for Mc Cain then I am both. I think that no matter who I vote for the country is lost.

March 6, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  21. anne in wisconsin

I am tired of Obama supporters calling Hillary crooked. Hillary and Bill Clinton are the MOST investigated couple on the planet!–Ken Starr HATED them and went after them with everything–and all he came up with was Bill lying about a BJ in the Oval Office. That means these people are pretty clean. These are good people, far from perfect, but good. Obama is a good guy too-I like him! I simply think that Hillary has a greater depth of experiences, unique to a woman in her position, that would make for a strong president. I just don't think Obama is ready–from his performances in debates (lacks quickness and specifics) to his speeches that are trite and repetitive and appeal to people who just want "change" for change sake. I want PROGRESS and I want to know where we're going. My guess is that in 2012 or 2016 Obama will be that candidate–just not yet.

March 6, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  22. SetItStraight

So much for CHANGE and the new way of doing things –

Looks like Obama got a taste of the negative campaign cool aid and now wants to run with it. SOME CHANGE!

He had my vote and now has lost it, same cheap old politics as usual.

March 6, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  23. Mike, Arkansas

Obama campaign.... No campaign has ever raised this much in a single month in the history of presidential primaries. From the beginning, this campaign has always been funded by a movement of supporters giving whatever they can afford. And unlike Senator Clinton and Senator McCain, we have never taken money from lobbyists or PACs.

Clinton and McCain are Old School Washington. Something Obama is trying to change. Political favors for votes.. Votes for Political favors. Money for Political Favors. Wonder how many things Hillary has voted for because she owed a favor to someone who gave her money.. it was payback time whether she agreed with it or not? Is this the way we run our nation? Is this the way we put people in the whitehouse to dictate what we want? This is just a stupid game!! Its not even worthy of anything. What about what we believe in? Not people buying our opinions. Giving our true opinions, Our True Votes, for what is right! Wonder how many voted for Iraq because they owed someone else a Political Favor? This is how Washington is being run right now.. and this is what Obama keeps talking about.

answer is pretty clear!

March 6, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  24. Gator for Obama

Democrats love to shoot themselves in the foot, so they will take the nomination away from Obama by using SUPEDELEGATES and then hand the election to McCain on a platter. Prepare for four more years of BUSH!!!

March 6, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  25. bill

Obama continues his NEGATIVE campaign. Is anyone tired of his holy-than-thou attitude?

Does eveyone live in fantasy land?

Go Hillary!