March 6th, 2008

Obama radio ad targets Clinton’s Mississippi comments

(CNN) – Barack Obama’s campaign has debuted a new radio ad in Mississippi called "Respect," highlighting what they call “derogatory” remarks Hillary Clinton made about the state late last year.

The ad also argues that Obama will “practice his Christian faith by respecting us” - an apparent push-back against the false Muslim rumors that have dogged him throughout the campaign.

In the 30-second spot, former Mississippi Governor Ray Mabus, an Obama supporter, derides Clinton for comments she made last fall singling out the state’s record of electing female politicians.

"I was shocked when I learned Iowa and Mississippi have never elected a woman governor, senator or member of Congress," Clinton told the Des Moines Register in October. "There has got to be something at work here. How can Iowa be ranked with Mississippi? That's not the quality. That's not the communitarianism, that's not the openness I see in Iowa.'"

Mabus accuses the Clinton campaign of calling Mississippi voters “second class.”

“Now I don’t know about you, but I’m tired of people putting us down,” Mabus says in the ad. “Tired of politicians trying to divide our nation instead of lifting it up.”

Mississippi voters head to the polls next Tuesday, March 11, with 33 Democratic delegates at stake.

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby
  1. Llen

Kevin: Comment on the article please.

Iowa and Mississippi...can't say that I've thought much of either one of those states. However, Governor Mabus' indignation at Clinton's comments is rather interesting. Can't wait to see how this plays out.

OBAMA '08

March 6, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  2. SharonR

They realy have not voted a woman into any Fedral Office?

March 6, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  3. Ronald, American living abroad

It is a shame that Hillary's campaign is built on dividing instead of uniting people in a positive coalition for change. She has shown her contempt again and again for any state which does not vote for her. And, when she lied about NAFTA-gate to steal the Ohio election, she showed her contempt for all the senior adults who are the core of her support. What other ways will Hillary try to divide the UNITED States of America? What else is she hiding?

March 6, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  4. Stacy Clarks, Texas

I wish EVEYONE will go back to being positive....INCLUDING CLINTON!!! None of this helps us....Barak has been backed into a corner, and has been made to turn negative!!!

STOP THE HATE, VOTE OBAMA 08!!!!

March 6, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  5. Dexter

I'm hoping he asks for the 120 missing pages from the Barret report to be made public.

Not only will she be done with politics, she'll be in jail.

March 6, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  6. Nosakhere Walcott

Yeah, that's right Kevin... that's interesting how you targeted young voters. Is it the fact that we have a nuanced approach of how we view politics and what it should be? I consider that a compliment, and I regret no donation I have made to the campaign in the name of ending the division and dirty politics of the past. Goodbye old America, and I whole-heartedly welcome a restored respect to the US worldwide. It's time to think globally. OBAMA 08

March 6, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  7. Manuel TX

Mississippi has never elected a woman governor, senator or member of Congress?

Wow.

I did not know that.

That is pretty shameful since it's 2008, not 1958.

It's time for the women in Mississippi to have their voices heard. :)

March 6, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  8. Danielle, OH

This is a stupid ad bc it will only increase support of women in the state. To be honest, I am ashamed of any state that has never had a woman in elected office. Women are 51.5% of the US population and over 60% of the democratic party.

March 6, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  9. Ron, Las Vegas

Another uninformed comment. Just because Hillary won Ohio, does not mean Obama can't win it in November unless you are saying that Hillary and McCain are the same all the issues and present them the same way. I am sure there are a number of fund raiser for the Clintons who under investigation and I remember last year that one of them was indicted. The one with the Hing Kong connections. Typically false smear campaigning.

March 6, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  10. Bean

At first when I saw this title I thought, "Oh no, did Obama really start mud-slinging?" And then I see the quote, and think, "wow, there was no twisting of words at all, that really WAS a put-down to Mississippi." Obama surprises me with his poise and honesty yet again.

March 6, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  11. MANDY

I think the Rezko investigation for Rezko wrong-doing (that does NOT include Obama) is small potatoes compared to the LAWSUIT between Peter Paul and Bill Clinton for de-frauding Paul on funds raised for Hillary's Senate seat race....

Hmmmmm....

And to make matters more interesting, the lawsuit is set to occur late in 2008 in Los Angeles.

Where will Hillary be? Possibly defending herself in Los Angeles, I think!

March 6, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  12. sarah

I don't see a problem with Hillary's comment – it is unfortunately the truth that those states do not elect women and that discrimination against woman is even worse in Mississippi than Iowa.

Someone is simply speaking out about this silent discrimination of women in the South and the people in Mississippi should rather open their minds and hearts and take this opportunity to vote for Hillary to change the discrimination and sexism.

March 6, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  13. Army Vet

Kevin,

What makes you think Dems wouldn't unite in Ohio, Fla to beat the Republicans in a General Election. What happens in a primary has little bearing on what will occur in GE...Obama is the only candidate to back at this point.

March 6, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  14. Cami

Kevin-
    I'm a little bit sick and tired of people referring to Obama supporters as "young" "naive" "wet behind the ears" "uninformed" etc.

These same young people that you refer to seem to be plenty old enough to go fight Hillary's war in Iraq! I don't hear you complaining about them doing THAT!

I think the young people of America deserve a break. They aren't as idiotic as many Clinton supporters seem to imply. Get off their backs, already!

March 6, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  15. CW4Barack

Kevin, you are the naive one. Clinton played the last card she had–going negative and nasty, which rep. her true personality–she has nothing left! She WILL be losing all elections starting on Saturday, Americans are not stupid and are on to the Billary games–all her supporters who are on her payroll can't help her now. If FL and Michigan have a redo, she will lose those too!
    Obama '08!

March 6, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  16. Bayou Joe

Race or Fenimism that is the message of hope. How about immigration, job losses. protecting our citizens, drug dealers and supporting our troops. This is the message of hope and trust me I am not a Muslim approach to winning in November. Give me a break.

March 6, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  17. Interesting

Kevin, I'm not young & I know Obama will win Ohio.

Reason: McCain is for NAFTA.

Reason: Obama is not even on the Rezko trial witness list (It just came out). He has nothing to do with that man's problems.

Good try though, but the old Clinton spin isn't what it used to be.

March 6, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  18. AJ, IL

Go Obama! Show Mississippi Democrats that Hillary is not only divisive, but a panderer that will belittle your state again if she doesn't win!

March 6, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  19. Arlene NY

Kevin, You made some great points. Let me add that Hillary won all of the large state primaries (except Illinois), and these large states carry the large electoral votes which are needed to win the Presidency.

March 6, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  20. Lydia

OBAMA 08
    Yes We Can!!!

March 6, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  21. Ty

Too bad someone hasn't told Kevin that you can't win an election without voters either.

Current count: OBAMA 1520 / CLINTON 1424

Not only is Clinton behind in delegates but she's also behind in money. These are not the signs of a future president!!!

I think she should drop out now while she still has some measure of dignity.

March 6, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  22. Alecki

What is wrong with asking a candidate about their upbringing.
    If you have Muslim relatives, what's wrong with that.

If Barack Hussein Obama is this candidate's name and he is not related to a Muslim mother or father, why would his mother name him such a Muslim name.

If someone asked me why my name was Alecki Agapemu Acrobodopolis and I responded that I wan't Greek and that I was Chrisitian, it would be just avoiding the issue.

That isn't my name.
    But I do know that I would admit that my mother was Greek. I wouldn't be afraid to share that.

Can't we ask Obama about his name and why if he has no ties to Muslims he has that name?

March 6, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  23. NEVEROBAMA

Obama people give me a break!!! Hillary has great respect for the people of Mississippi. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE MESSAGE OF CHANGE! OH I REPRESENT THE NEW POLITICS AND WILL BRING OUR COUNTRY TOGETHER! OBAMA IS SO FULL OF HIMSELF!! HE WILL DO ANYTHING TO GET AHEAD AND HE IS PROVING IT.

HEY OBAMA PEOPLE ISN'T THIS WHAT YOU GUYS HATE HILLARY FOR? I GUESS YOUR CANDIDATE LIKE TO USE THE SAME PRACTICES YOU CLAIM HILLARY USES.

SHOW YOUR TRUE COLORS OBAMA, YOU ARE A LIAR, YOU ARE INEXPERIENCED AND PLAYING WITH THE BIG DOGS NOW.

GET READY FOR A BEATING FROM HILLARY!

GO HILLARY

GO HILLARY
    GO HILLARY

March 6, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  24. Matilsky NY

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Finallly. Hillary Clinton's double talk is being revealed. She is known for this in NY.

Hillary where is the 200,000 jobs you promised up-state NY?? Instead we lost 30,000 more!!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

March 6, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  25. ted

You must be stupid kevin, because your statement makes no sense

March 6, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |