March 6th, 2008

Obama radio ad targets Clinton’s Mississippi comments

(CNN) – Barack Obama’s campaign has debuted a new radio ad in Mississippi called "Respect," highlighting what they call “derogatory” remarks Hillary Clinton made about the state late last year.

The ad also argues that Obama will “practice his Christian faith by respecting us” - an apparent push-back against the false Muslim rumors that have dogged him throughout the campaign.

In the 30-second spot, former Mississippi Governor Ray Mabus, an Obama supporter, derides Clinton for comments she made last fall singling out the state’s record of electing female politicians.

"I was shocked when I learned Iowa and Mississippi have never elected a woman governor, senator or member of Congress," Clinton told the Des Moines Register in October. "There has got to be something at work here. How can Iowa be ranked with Mississippi? That's not the quality. That's not the communitarianism, that's not the openness I see in Iowa.'"

Mabus accuses the Clinton campaign of calling Mississippi voters “second class.”

“Now I don’t know about you, but I’m tired of people putting us down,” Mabus says in the ad. “Tired of politicians trying to divide our nation instead of lifting it up.”

Mississippi voters head to the polls next Tuesday, March 11, with 33 Democratic delegates at stake.

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby
  1. DfromNy

Hillary's only option is to try to steal the nomination after she has run out of dirty tricks. She cannot catch up.

She says she wants the votes counted but ONLY the ones that voted for her.
    By the way, Obama won TEXAS!

If she gets away with this game, there will not only be a rejection of her candidacy, but protests against the DNC. Her dirty tactics are only serving to split our party in half. Not that she seems to care. Don't think people are going to let her walk away with this without consequences. She will not win without the rest of us anyway.

The DNC thinks that the Obama supporters will just accept Hillary even though she cannot win the majority of pledged delegates.
    THEY ARE WRONG AND ARE IN FOR A BIG SURPRISE.

March 6, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  2. Alan

I don't care about the scandals. I want somebody who can do something about this economy. Obama hasn't done anything so far to make me confident other than giving great speeches. Let us face it guys, this country is in bad shape and it is getting worse by the minute. I think we are screwed anyway. But if he is the Democratic candidate, I will probably vote for him.

March 6, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  3. Veronica in CA

"Keep going guys, we ned to finish her…. Dig everywhere Clinton's scandals can hide and bring them to light."

Nothing like a little HOPE and UNITY and rejection of OLD POLITICS, huh?

Hypocrisy.

GO HILLARY!

March 6, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  4. Hillary fan

Please people educate yourself on whoever you are voting for... I see so many people comment on both HILLARY & OBAMA and say stuff that is not true... A good amount of the stuff you guys write is repeated from what i have heard people on TV say.... For people like me that have read up on ALL the candidates..Your comments are both comical ans sad at the same time.

March 6, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  5. Grif

Hillary to win the " Mississippi Mile" by leaps and bounds..

Come on you girl's, and get on this "Hot Dash..".

Take over the Rein's of "America" , Be a part of the same driving force.

Divided!!!! You all in for a fall ,,

March 6, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  6. Pathetic

This is all he has?..Hillary commented that its a shame there are so few woman in politics in Mississippi and that is TERRIBLE?? PA-LEASE...OBAMA- you are so bad at this...oh and is this NEGATIVE campaigning??...how the mighty has fallen...and pathetically...

March 6, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  7. tito

On April 22nd, HIDE YOUR GRANDMA'S CAR KEYS!!!!!

March 6, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  8. i tell ya what...

we won't put you down, if you vote with your mind and not with the color of your skin...just because your skin is black doesn't mean you should vote for the black candidate....the statistics in that regard are disgusting...

prove me wrong mississippi...!

democrat '08

March 6, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  9. Orlando

There several swing states out there VA, MO, SC. Ohio & Florida are not the only ones but they are key to winning. This will play itself out. Obama fans let's not get on the ground with them because they are all about throwing dirt.

Obama 08

March 6, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  10. Candy

Now Percy your turn. Obama has more poise in his little finger than you have in your whole body. Thanks to the press and the negative campagin that they ran against Obama last week is really sad. And still he stands tall and strong and is not dishing dirt as lying Hil-Lie-ary just to win and she still lost she is still behind. What the media is trying to do is help Hil-lie-ary steal the nomiation like someone else I know

March 6, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  11. Cindy

FACT: If Clinton is not the nominee then the dems in Ohio, Florida and those other states that HRC says that the dems "have to win" will go with the party nominee ....Obama.

As to the argument that Obama is winning in states that will NOT go democratic in the fall.... How does anyone know that? The turnout of the democrats in those states is way, way, way up so don't say that it is not possible for those states that are considered "red" to be forever and ever in the "red" column. Maybe the people in those states have simply been waiting for a different kind of democratic. One that doesn't rely on mud-slinging and lying to get into the White House.

March 6, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  12. Rick in Boynton Beach

Sometimes in a fight you get dragged down to your oppanents level. It's understandable, you have to defend yourself. It doesn't mean your as bad as they are. It's who starts it and cleary Billary started it. I commend Obama for going this long before going negative.

March 6, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  13. Independent Voter

Why is Clinton's NAFTA-gate news not reported by CNN. CNN you are not FOX News. Show that you are unbiased. I personnaly was shocked to read the press release.

March 6, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  14. Robert

It is a shame that Obama has to turn to negative campaign tricks (like the Hillary campaign) to counter Hillary but that appears to be what American voters respond to. What a sad nation we are: attack and destroy rather than embrace and construct.

March 6, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  15. Julian

Obama has once again proven his unworthiness. He talks about being above the politics of yesterday but he's just another dirty Chicago style politician. His Mississippi advertisement was disgusting. Obama is a liar about NAFTA and his wife is unpatriotic. He needs to apologize to the American people and go back to practicing law. He has ruined his career in politics forever. I used to think this was decent guy, now I dislike him.

March 6, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  16. Obama Supporters.....

I am not sure where you folks are getting the notion that Clinton was powerful enough to set up Obama by the Canadian government. Ecks...you people are crazy...I checked on the Canadian government paper and there is no mention of the BS...send a link please.

And I do wonder who does those polls.....the news media....and who do they want? Obama........simple.....!

So he double and triple spent compared to Clinton last week and she took 3 out of 4. Most people are not so easily swayed by such ads. They are BS if one really pays attention and does their homework. Doing the homework is the key........go check out the entire speech that Clinton made. I dare you all to become informed!

And certainly after what I have seen posted lately – the Obama supports sure seem to have the nails out – I suppose because their chosen candidate got caught with his hands in the cookie jar called Canada or was it that he denied it happened and then there was a memo or was it – bla bla bla.

Senator Obama is the same politician as any politican and to think he is not – well now that is naive!

March 6, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  17. bakersfield

mississippi will vote african american anyways just like the rest of the mostly african american populated states. average about 80% for obama then they will pressure loyal black superdelegates for hillary to switch to obama. its really sad considering how much the clintons had done for african americans that the split is as much as it is.

March 6, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  18. Nick

Obama: Judgment America can trust!

March 6, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  19. AJ / North Carolina

Obama is always negative unless he is making a speech about flowers and sunshine.

Hillary was doing a comparision to Iowa (where I grew up). It is very open and democratic in Iowa... I don't know about Mississippi... but I do see the comparision as true.

The real question is will Mississippi pick the woman that America wants or the black man?????? Last time I checked, there were more woman there then blacks – and maybe the woman are upset that a woman has never been elected into a position of power!

March 6, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  20. Kevin

ooops fogot. to mention to all of you who think I am a Hillary supporter.. I'm NOT! To think that Obama is running a campaign on the "change" message you have to be kidding!! He's just like the rest of them! Negative ads, behind the scenes dealings (I know as a fact from person dealing near his campaign that he said before the Iowa caucus before he went out to preach "watch me swoon these white people" your being fooled. The only candidate left if McCain!

March 6, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  21. Candy

Deb sound like you would like to have a good man like Obama in your life so it sound like the same Old BS to me. I can always tell a woman that does not have a good man and you sound just like one. If you support Obama maybe you can find one once he cleans up the trash.

March 6, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  22. jay

see people. he's every bit as shameless as she is.

March 6, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  23. Missouri

So far Obam plays fairly. Clinton compagn makes him be negative. Go OBAMA..08... ..!!!!!

March 6, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  24. Dre

We need a strong leader and that is Obama I hope the demoncrate party know Hillary is not to be trusted. Obama 08

March 6, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  25. Julie, Binghamton, NY

Wow. This really scares me as a woman voter. Obama doesn't think there's anything wrong with the fact that women are unable to gain political office in Mississippi. :(

March 6, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |