March 6th, 2008

Obama radio ad targets Clinton’s Mississippi comments

(CNN) – Barack Obama’s campaign has debuted a new radio ad in Mississippi called "Respect," highlighting what they call “derogatory” remarks Hillary Clinton made about the state late last year.

The ad also argues that Obama will “practice his Christian faith by respecting us” - an apparent push-back against the false Muslim rumors that have dogged him throughout the campaign.

In the 30-second spot, former Mississippi Governor Ray Mabus, an Obama supporter, derides Clinton for comments she made last fall singling out the state’s record of electing female politicians.

"I was shocked when I learned Iowa and Mississippi have never elected a woman governor, senator or member of Congress," Clinton told the Des Moines Register in October. "There has got to be something at work here. How can Iowa be ranked with Mississippi? That's not the quality. That's not the communitarianism, that's not the openness I see in Iowa.'"

Mabus accuses the Clinton campaign of calling Mississippi voters “second class.”

“Now I don’t know about you, but I’m tired of people putting us down,” Mabus says in the ad. “Tired of politicians trying to divide our nation instead of lifting it up.”

Mississippi voters head to the polls next Tuesday, March 11, with 33 Democratic delegates at stake.

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby
  1. Carol Canton MI

Stop and think about all of the outrageous Hillary "scandals.

Ever hear the old saying, consider the source before you believe it.

Republicans have been attacking the Clinton's for 16 years and couldn't get anything on them. They could not get voters angry about the thriving economy we were experiencing, they could not get voters angry about the good jobs (actually being able to pay their bills and even have money left over) our country had, they could not find anything wrong with the job Bill was doing so all that was left to do was attack his PERSONAL life. What happened? People believed the nonsense and our STRONG Economy was flushed down the toilet and we are in two wars just to name a couple of the consequences..

Lesson: Think before you believe all the spin/lies Republicans spread.

March 6, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  2. Ed

All I can Say is, By him going negative now, He just showed everyone that he is a part of the same old politics he said we wanted to change. As an Obama supporter, I'm furious with this! He basically just showed me that he is not ready, I thought he was better than that, but I guess he will do anything to win just like everybody else! I guess my family and I will be voting Republican this election.........FYI if he continues to do this he will lose a lot of voters, I feel cheated........

March 6, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  3. Hillary

If Obama is allowed to steal this nomination from Obama I will vote republican for the first time in my life!!!

March 6, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  4. Obama

I will try again –

Sounds like Obama and his supportes are getting desparate!

March 6, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  5. GA

I still say I will vote for McCain over Obama!

March 6, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  6. serah

It is ironical that the key individual involved in the NAFTA deal convinced the OHIO voters the contrary and they gave in so cheaply without laying down any agreements.

It was not wrong to vote for Hillary but Ohio voters should have asked her to commit herself publicly that she will do all it takes to have NAFTA deal looked into with the interests of Americans in mind as boldly as she states her 35 years of Experience ( which she got just by being a first lady). She should have been asked to declare her stand very boldly otherwise Ohio got a raw deal on that one and should she be the president do not complain. Remember she is senator for New York and unlike Ohio where NAFTA had negative impact , it did great there.

March 6, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  7. Daniel Adewumi

Obama did not actually need to go negative to bring Hillary down. It was obvious that Bill Clinton was behind the shameless lies portrayed by the Canadian goverment which eventually led to the slight backwardness of the march 4 primaries. This is a fact and going forward Americans should decide who they want for President. I trust Obama will beat her hands down in any open contest but since she played dirty she is doing okay.

Kevin must be a very stupid nicompoop to write such lousy and idiotic comment about Barack, but the time has come for such hopeless redundants to be wiped out of reckoning in American politics. Clinton will lead you into the pit blind morrons.

March 6, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  8. Joe

March 6th, 2008 5:33 pm ET
    If Obama is allowed to steal this nomination from Hillary I will vote republican for the first time in my life!!!

March 6, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  9. Mary O'Bryan

What happened to the new kind of politician Senator Obama? Seems like the best way to hide your own shortcomings is to attempt to expose your opponents. Can't you come up with something better than the honorable Senator Clinton making a true statement about there not being equality in electing females in Mississippi? I guess not because, let's see, it's about race over gender, isn't it.? Seriously America, the Presidencey should not be decided on either gender or race. It should be decided on the best one for the job. In all of my extensive research that is Hillary Clinton over all the rest (Democrat or Republican. I don't care what race or gender she happens to be. She represents all of "US". Thank you, moblou KY

March 6, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  10. jen in cali

Nice propaganda Obama. Why don't you talk about issues. Oh that's right you are not strong in that area so you stay with personal attacks that are disguised as positive ads. I see through your false promises and you are a fraud. God help this country if you are the nominee. Obama has divided the democratic party but it will be blamed on Hillary thanks to the media bias. He has targeted not the base of the democratic party but young impressionable kids who believe that in idealism vs reality. Reality is going to come and give them a wake up call.

March 6, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  11. tz

I am a Hillary supporter and have come to the conclusion that it is virtually impossible for Hillary to win the nomination. Anyway, you parse it the fact of the matter is that Obama will have more pleged delegates and the popular vote. Yes, even if Florida and Michigan redo their primaries. I think it is more important at this time to think about the party because if we don't the Republicans will tear the Democratic nominee apart. I strongly encourage everyone at this point to rally behind Obama!

March 6, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  12. Sue

Obama went negative long before Clinton did. The pro Obama press just chose to ignore it. One of the things he liked to say in his speeches was that Hillary's negatives were much higher than his. Well not anymore. Most polls now say they are just about equal. Many older people, women and Hispanics are able to see through his empty rhetoric and soon everyone else will too.

And by the way, how many thousands of times is he going to say that he was against the Iraq War. I was too. Does that qualify me to be President? It's very easy to say something when you have no responsibility for your decision. He was NOT a Senator at that time and did not have access to all the information available to them.

March 6, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  13. OBAMA 4 PRESIDENT

How naive Clinton supporters are! Who were their math teachers? 4 delegates in Texas does not constitute a blow out like Mr. Clinton stated his little wifey needed to stay in this race. Oh....the 10 point margin in Ohio is not the double digit win that was referenced either! HILLARY face it.... you can throw the entire "kitchen sink" and you still will not be OBAMA!!!!!

March 6, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  14. Outside of the box

To me3:

I feel your pain!!! I have a feeling a lot of people find their posts censored if it is not in line with the majority or vaccuous.

March 6, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  15. s.b.

Wow a radio ad. I guess that 55 million has already been spent.

March 6, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  16. linus

"Obama supporters how young and naive you are ! Can't win the election without florida or ohio. Simple fact !!!! Obama won't win Fl, Hillary proved that he won't win Ohio."

I'm an Obama supporter, but I'm not particularly young, and I'm certainly not naive. I'm also intelligent enough to realize that Obama's loss to Clinton in the Ohio primary doesn't have anything to do with how he would fare against McCain in the general election.

March 6, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  17. JC

We CAN NOT TRUST Hillary. She will lie and spin to win. She is a Hypocrite.

March 6, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  18. Anny

Funny, these advocates of Hillary will endorse any tactics she uses. Think about it, why are the likes of Limbaugh encouraging their people to vote for Hillary? They know she will be their chance to get the White House again. It is ok for Hillary supporters to threaten that they won't support Obama, but if Obama supporters say the same thing, they are demonized. Where is the party unity? Hillary believes that she can say anything about Obama supporters and in the end if she is the nominee, they will all gladly vote for her I worked on Bill Clinton's campaign and I have to say I am mighty disappointed in the campaign Hillary has run.

March 6, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  19. YLR

KEVIN: LOOKS LIKE THE NEW GENERATION AND "YOUNG AND NAIVE PEOPLE" HAVE MORE SENSE AND ARE MORE PROGRESSIVE THAN YOU....PROGRESSIVE, THAT'S WHAT WE NEED IN THIS COUNTRY TO GO INTO THE FUTURE....NO SMALL MINDED PEOPLE...

SOMEONE GIVE ME AN AMEN PLEASE!!!!

I'M A LATINA WOMAN AND WOULD NEVER PICK SUCH DISGRACE OF A WOMAN AS SOMEONE TO REPRESENT "WOMEN"...

OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT 2008

March 6, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  20. Pat M Canada

This is high school politics..
    Obama should re-think his strategy as it is no becoming in the least.
    And I doubt it will get him any votes but may cost him many.

March 6, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  21. It's all politics

Any Clinton supporters bringing up Rezko need to realize that Obama has nothing to do with what he was indicted for. Futhermore, some of the other defendants in the case have contributed to Clinton and she has not returned the contributed funds. In addition should look into the Paul v Clinton case regarding the 2000 Senate campaign. She's no angel folks.

March 6, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  22. Jazz

The shape up speech was in TX while Hillary was at the Katrina conference in New Orleans. Remember Mississippi was hurt by Katrina too.

March 6, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  23. NODAY!!!

Yes! Yet again Obama goes negative and yet again he attempts to frame it as his first time. He likes to point out how nice Hillary was when she was 20 points up in all the polls and now when she is down she attacks. Well does anybody remember Iowa? Remember the double attack from Obama and Edwards??? Some called Clinton a crybaby for complaining of the attacks on her integrity. Some said Richardson was positioning himself for VP when he defended her in that Iowa debate. Richardson just wanted to make a point and it was one very good point that he made. Why were fellow Democrats ATTACKING Hillary's integrity??? Of course! She WAS the front runner 20 points up in every poll. Think People!!!

March 6, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  24. Concerned

I think it is so disheartening that so much negativity is being espoused by so many at this time. What so troubles me is that so much hatred is being articulated by individuals who believe in hope. To me, it seems that people arguing for a different type of politics are actually practicing (quite successfully) the old brand of politics. What an unfortunate development.

March 6, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  25. Mischelle from Illinois

I see nothing desparaging in her comment of OVER A YEAR AGO. I see A WOMAN standing up for women. Which is what she has always done – as a lawyer for WalMart, as the First Lady of Arkansas and as the First Lady of the US.
    In case there is any question in some voters minds, especially young voters and African American voters - WOMEN fought very very hard for those equal right, too. SUFFERAGE isn't a myth. It happened. AND there is STILL inequality en every aspect of the lives of US women today. Women are paid 3/4 of what men are for doing the exact same jobs. Women still don't hold very many top positions in the US.
    You ALL need to read DeeDee Myers new book, "Why Women should rule the world." INTOXICATING!

Mr. Obama, this is your attempt at negativity??? You have nothing here.... A WOMAN STANDING UP FOR WOMEN, PERIOD!!!

So what's the scoop Mississippi? Have you had many women in high political positions? Or not? Could this just be a TRUE STATEMENT that you may not be very proud of and don't want the rest of the country to know about? HMMMmmmmm!

March 6, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |