March 7th, 2008

Obama adviser resigns over comment

Power has resigned her position with the campaign.
Power has resigned her position with the campaign.

(CNN) - Samantha Power has resigned her position from Barack Obama's campaign after calling Hillary Clinton a 'monster,' the Illinois senator's campaign announced.

“With deep regret, I am resigning from my role as an advisor the Obama campaign effective today," Power said in a statement issued by the campaign. "Last Monday, I made inexcusable remarks that are at marked variance from my oft-stated admiration for Senator Clinton and from the spirit, tenor, and purpose of the Obama campaign. And I extend my deepest apologies to Senator Clinton, Senator Obama, and the remarkable team I have worked with over these long 14 months."

The Obama campaign said that the decision was Power’s, and stressed that “she was an adviser, not a paid staffer.”

"She made the decision to resign and we accepted," said communications director Robert Gibbs.

Earlier in the day, the Clinton campaign had called for Obama to end Power's association with his campaign.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Edward

What a wonderful gesture such that mirrors the integrity and respect for running a clean campaign by Barack Obama. Let’s move from silly season expressions and allow the American people vote only on the issues and for the candidate that will better care for our lives and the future of the U.S.

March 7, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  2. jwilliams

She shouldn't have gotten to resign she should have been fired and there is a difference. Is This the Kind of people that Obama will have working around him and in his company I guess so After working along side Obama for 14 months it looks like she would have know what to said but 14 months is not a lot of experience they much be slow learners and this is one more thing to show that Obama doesn't have enough experience to even surround himself with people that can watch what they say this is two of his advisers that have said things that were not acceptable . Can we trust him to do better in the future or do we even darn to take a chance on him and his advisor's. Obama is proving every day that he has a lot to learn and he is having to do a lot of retracting for his campaign adviser and himself.

March 7, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  3. Jules

This is the right thing to do, though unfortunate. Ms Powers remark was a huge gaff, but a human one in light of the false accusations and innuendos thrown by the Clinton campaugn in recent weeks. Until this point Powers has spoken of Senator Clinton respectfully. Ms. Powers used poor judgment in letting her personal views show here, but her voice and her insights in terms of policy have been highly valuable. I hope she will continue to advise in an unofficial capacity and stay away from the press.Now, Clinton has had multiple incidents in her campaign where Senator Obama's religion has been called into question, and he has been personally and unfairly attacked. Each time she has dismissed those in her campaign who are responsible, or so she says. My question then, is, why does it continue to happen over and over? Do her own people not even listen to her?

March 7, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  4. Mary

Samantha Power has no reason to apologize for telling the truth. A Monster is as a Monster does!

March 7, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  5. A. Harrison

Another one bites the dust!
    OBamaCAMP is in Disarray! You can't spin his speeches into have been doing anything for the country over the years. Get a clue.

Hillary 2008!

March 7, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  6. Mary

Those comments were unacceptable and makes me question's Obama's sincerity about bring unity and a new kind of politics. That is what his campaign is based on yet he is not living up to that. I thought he was going to be different. I am disappointed.

March 7, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  7. Bill in OH

She's the same professor who wrote a few years back that the US should invade Israel to protect the Palestinians!

March 7, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  8. JONNIE

Resigned, I don't think this was done on her own. Why should she, after all Clinton has protected her staff at any cost. Regardless of the unethical campaign. Surely Clinton will now pursue Samantha, to gather more dirt. I think this was a mistake. Sometimes one must get down and dirty to win. Further more Samantha's statement was very true. Everyone knows Hillary has not bottom line.

March 7, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  9. Sean McM

SHE DOESN"T WANT TO WORK FOR AN INDECISIVE WIMP!

March 7, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  10. atimebandit

By the way. If the worst possible scenario were to play out and "the Monster" won the nomination, Barack Obama should stay as far away from running on ticket with her as possible. First of all, it is old nasty politics with a "monster" and only on VP on a losing ticket ever went on to be president. FDR I don't like those odds for Mr. Obama.

March 7, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  11. tampa florida

Clinton is a monster
    period

12. andrew jones

Obama's camp asked legitimate questions: BILLARY, RELEASE YOUR TAX RETURNS!
    But he got attacked by Bill Burton!

Can the Billary campaign ask Bill Burton to resign for comparing Obama to independent prosecutor Kenneth Starr?

OBAMA IS HONEST MAN, BILLARY IS A MONSTER!

VOTE OBAMA!!!

March 7, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  13. Felton.."from around the way"

Why should she resign for telling the truth?...and for this "experience" thing...(Hillary's)..my doctor's wife is NOT doing my vastectomy !

14. AV

I wish Hillary would do something for her country and GIVE UP!

Look at this mess we're in now, all for her! All because she wants to be president and couldn't gracefully admit defeat. She's not just a monster, she's disgusting!

15. Jeff

Now I know why Barack hasn't gone negative until now. When he does, the height of sophistication is outstanding.

16. Barbara

NOW SHOULD I BE PROUD OF "AMERICA", CNN YOU ARE A DISGRACE TO AMERICA ALL I SEE ON YOUR BROADCAST IS THE CLINTONS AND THAT MOUSY DAUGHTER, A GROWN WOMAN WHO IS KEPT FROM THE MEDIA, WHAT A SHAME "28 YEARS OLD, AND CAN'T SPEAK UNTIL MA SAYS SO" HA, HA

17. donnajp

It amazes me that people on this site cannot just disagree with each other's political idealogy they must resort to name calling. Name calling, especially by fellow Democrats, should be stopped; after all, if you are a true Democrat, you will support the eventual candidate.

18. Zach

"She should have been fired by Obama. Why wasn't she?"

Perhaps you don't have a lot of experience with these matters. In the private sector, people get fired. In politics, people resign. The distinction in this case between being fired and resigning is academic.

19. henrie alabama

HILLARY AND BILL ARE WORSE THEN MONSTERS. SHE IS A WHINING CANDIATE. I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO STAY HOME IN NOV. I KNOW A LOT OF PEOPLE WILL STAY HOME IF SHE IS THE CANDIATE

20. john

Wolfson and the Hillary campaign seem to be attempting tie one hand behind Barack Obama's back we wont see Wolfson resigning over his belittling shameful disingenuous personal comments about Barack Obama

This resignation restates his positive position of change to politics and reaffirms Clintons tie to old style politics.

We want somthing better than the old style look where its taken the country.

Obama 08

21. bond

She should have gotten a raise for understating the truth. Calling Billary a monster is almost a compliment.

22. A. Harrison

"Good"

People are offered to tender their resignations before being fired.
    Twas better to resign than be fired.

23. joyo

Hillary Clinton has caused a pulitzer prize woman to lose her cool, I am sick of the Clinton lying campaign, wolfson should apologize for his Kenneth Starr remark, so many good people going down behind that monster

March 7, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  24. Rebecca

I agree that Wolfson should also resign for calling the Obama camp, Ken Starr .... where is the delicadeza of the Clinton camp?

March 7, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  25. piecrust

Poor Hillary Clinton haters – SOUR GRAPES!!!!!

March 7, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |