March 7th, 2008

Obama adviser resigns over comment

Power has resigned her position with the campaign.
Power has resigned her position with the campaign.

(CNN) - Samantha Power has resigned her position from Barack Obama's campaign after calling Hillary Clinton a 'monster,' the Illinois senator's campaign announced.

“With deep regret, I am resigning from my role as an advisor the Obama campaign effective today," Power said in a statement issued by the campaign. "Last Monday, I made inexcusable remarks that are at marked variance from my oft-stated admiration for Senator Clinton and from the spirit, tenor, and purpose of the Obama campaign. And I extend my deepest apologies to Senator Clinton, Senator Obama, and the remarkable team I have worked with over these long 14 months."

The Obama campaign said that the decision was Power’s, and stressed that “she was an adviser, not a paid staffer.”

"She made the decision to resign and we accepted," said communications director Robert Gibbs.

Earlier in the day, the Clinton campaign had called for Obama to end Power's association with his campaign.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. merle 7

the truth hurts doesn't it hillary is acting like a monster that would do anything to get back in the white house except release her tax, and white house papers showing all that 35 years of experience she has

2. interesting

Calling a political candidate a flat out "monster" w/o knowing when to use the "off the record" is different than making an analogy of someone being similar to Ken Star in tactics of about asking for tax returns.

Now, Obama supporters, you need to understand how to play political battles. This 37 year old newbee named Ms. Power knows better. It was her employee who made the NAFTA gaffe, not Clinton, which helped Clinton win Ohio.

When Obama had 11 straight victories, you did not hear anybody from their camp call Obama is MONSTER. Totally uncalled for. She knows better than that.

If you can't take the heat, get your behind out of the kitchen.

3. Ohio Voter

Once again, the Obama campaign shows its integrity. Why don't Clinton campaign members resign after analogizing Obama to Ken Starr. I don't know anyone who thinks that Clinton should keep her tax returns private. Yet when Obama asks her to reveal them, Clinton's top aides call him Ken Starr!

4. Julie Neumann

While I agree what she said was incomprehensible, people WILL agree with what she said....Hillary has proven to show by her tactics in this campaign that she will win at any cost! Why wasn't her campaign manager called out for calling Obama "Kenneth Starr"..seems to me they are saying the same thing...But at least with his comment about Barack being like Kenneth Starr, he opened a HUGE can of worms that will benefit the Obama campaign....Good Luck Hillary and do me a favor....stop crying like a baby...next thing you'll whine about is the color of the nail polish for your $50.000 manicure!!!!! Oh do me another favor...say hello to John McCain for me..you know..the one you are helping to win the presidency...yea..that one...How was your phone call to Canada....see it worked in your favor!!!!! To bad Ohio and Texas got duped!!!! but don't worry, only time will tell!!!!

5. Dan Bennett

That's a shame...I really admire her for her research done on, and the work she has done to bring awareness to, genocides around the world. I'm sure her expertise in foreign policy will be missed by the Obama camp.

6. BD

I cannot believe all the rude comments about Senator Clinton. In a civil society there is no room for this type of discourse. It is sad that many of these harsh and unkind comments are driven to some extend by an underlying disdain for women in our society. I believe that the authors of the comments would be outraged if such comments were directed at Senator Obama.

7. Sammy

Hey - it's too bad. Hillary is a monster. I thought that her comment was spot-on.

– Sammy
    Boston, MA

8. John, Euless, TX

Wow...Obama supporters are really showing their true colors. Do and say anything to support your candidate. I'm sure that Obama would be very proud of you.
    So...I guess Obama has pulled one over on you. He gets to sit on stage and tell everyone that he won't go negative (which he and his camp have been doing for a very long time) and then let all of his sheep do the negative talking for him. He really has manipulated his followers very well. That's the kind of guy I don't want for Pres....very sneaky he is.
    Basically if he knew what some of you say about Hillary who is a very well respected Senator from the state of New York, he would get rid of you as a supporter of his campaign.

At least Hillary isn't afraid to speak her mind. She doesn't manipulate her supporters to do it for her.

9. Dawn

I Gov. Rendall saying "White men won't vote for an African American man."
    No one screamed and made him go on tour and apologized.
    He did quietly apologize and life goes on...
    I could not believe that Clinton Machine wanted this woman out of Obama's camp after Bill was permitted to stay several times with financial settlemens as well and their political life went on...
    I have know doubt being calling a "Monster" is nothing in comparison of having an adulterous spouse publicly exposed. She can forgive this we know and should ask for the adviser to return to Obama's camp.
    Both candidates and their teams along with Mr. Dean need to go to a prayer breakfast with Bishop Jakes and Pastor Dr. Schuller with no media involved.

10. Amy

Time to fire Wolfson!!!!

11. barb

This is exactly how a campaign should be run. Whether she resigned on her own or was asked to still represents the tone of people who work for Senator Obama. When crossing the line, you admit and you rectify the matter. He wants his staff to stay within a certain decorum. She did the right thing. Since I just read the case documents regarding Clinton's involvement in the Peter Paul campaign donations lawsuit I really appreciate the integrity of Mr. Obama and the integrity he wishes his staff to keep.

12. Clinton Has To Go

Why apologize? She is behaving like a republican and using deceitful tactics, lies, hypocrisy and fear to attack an honorable man . She is showing us why Washington is so corrupt and broken and why more than ever we need Obama. Furthermore, Hiliary cannot win in a general election. Republicans hate her and after how she's been behaving, I think Democrats will turn against her as well.

13. Craig

Opportunistic bottom-feeder would more accurately describe both Clintons.
    Craig

14. LeAnn

Hilary IS a monster...

A liar...

A manipulator....

...Feel free to add on....

15. Lindsay

How refreshing. You don't see anyone from Clinton's camp resigning over the Karl Rove and Ken Starr remarks– she is equating someone from her own party to a Republican. She only cares about herself!! OBAMA 08!

March 7, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  16. archie holoubeck kearney ne.

The lady should have received a medal for correctly diagnosing the opposition! What a sideshow this has become! And these people believe they are entitled and deserving of leading America?

17. F.

GOOOOO HILLARY...OBAMA ONLY GIVES FALSE HOPES...HILLARY TAKES ACTION!!!

18. Frances

I have to agree with her comment regarding Hillary. Hillary is evil and a monster.

She's also disturbed. One minute, she's proud of OBama and the next minute, with her face distorted saying "SHAME ON YOU OBAMA, SHAME ON YOU"

19. Jim, Carbondale, IL

If she resigned for that, Howard Wolfson should resign for likening Obama to Ken Starr. Why isn't this being covered at all?

20. sandra

YES.......i do agrree with her comments. 100 percent right. go samantha... Hilary does look like a ...... comments about Obama's religion... If he says he is christian ,I suppose he is telling the truth...Give me a break Hillary . You have attended chuch service with him..did't you ? Clintons will do anything to get elected...

21. truth 08 time

hillary should fire howard wolfson for calling obama ken starr, period!!!

22. civilization

People use strong words left and right without thinking of impact, consequences.
    Hillary is not a monster! She did not do anything so terrible. Saddam was a monster, tyrans and terrorists are monsters, murderers are monsters, torture is monstrous........
    not her. People just cannot be civilized – how frustrating these elections are.....

23. Bad word

"MONSTER" is a bad word!!. I hope every parent has thought each one of us.

24. Mike in Virginia

This woman is an idiot. This is exactly the kind of polarizing mindset that the Democratic party DOES NOT need. When this woman insults Clinton she also insults every Democrat that supports her. She embodies what's wrong with the over zealous Obama campaign.

25. Wei