March 7th, 2008

Obama adviser resigns over comment

Power has resigned her position with the campaign.
Power has resigned her position with the campaign.

(CNN) - Samantha Power has resigned her position from Barack Obama's campaign after calling Hillary Clinton a 'monster,' the Illinois senator's campaign announced.

“With deep regret, I am resigning from my role as an advisor the Obama campaign effective today," Power said in a statement issued by the campaign. "Last Monday, I made inexcusable remarks that are at marked variance from my oft-stated admiration for Senator Clinton and from the spirit, tenor, and purpose of the Obama campaign. And I extend my deepest apologies to Senator Clinton, Senator Obama, and the remarkable team I have worked with over these long 14 months."

The Obama campaign said that the decision was Power’s, and stressed that “she was an adviser, not a paid staffer.”

"She made the decision to resign and we accepted," said communications director Robert Gibbs.

Earlier in the day, the Clinton campaign had called for Obama to end Power's association with his campaign.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Denise

Howard Wolfson needs to resign for his untruthful comments. Shame on the Clinton campaign!

March 7, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  2. Frank-Iowa

The adviser should have called Hillary a -itch because that's exactly what she is in my opinion!!!!!!!!!! She spoke the truth–even if you can't say it on the record!!!!

March 7, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  3. Terry, TX

The "monster" comment is disturbing, but it is acceptable. Everybody knows Hillary for her win-at-all-costs tactics.

March 7, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  4. Ratgurl

Wow! Some people still have some integrity. It's very honorable for Ms. Power to admit her mistake & step down. It's too bad all campaigns don't have people with such integrity!

March 7, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  5. Mike in CA

I applaud Ms. Powers for taking the initiative to resign. It shows how much she respects Obama and the incredibly civil campaign he has been running despite some less-than-civil moments from his opponent for the Dem. nomination.

In the previous blog post on this issue, one of Clinton's supporters (NY rep Nita Lowey) was quoted as saying, "Personal attacks are not the way to convince voters that you're capable of being president of the United States." I just find it so incredibly ironic. Was it not just last week that we had to digest "SHAME ON YOU OBAMA!!!" with a visibly out-of-control-angry Sen. Clinton waving her accusatory finger like a parent scolding a child? I don't think anyone would believe that that was NOT a personal attack.

The hypocrisy of the Clinton campaign is disgusting me to no end. All of the Clinton supporters are trying to jump on Obama's case now for being supposedly "negative," but if they can distance themselves for just a moment, I think they'll see that there's a huge difference between questioning and negativity. It's a bigger difference than "reject" and "denounce"...

March 7, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  6. Craig H, Mpls, MN

I was not involved in politics during the Bill Clinton's presidency. I believe that it is none of my buisness what consenting adults do behind closed doors. I hated when Rush Limbaugh made fun of Chelsea Clinton's looks during her akward early teen years. I never looked at the details closer than that to understand where this hate for the Clintons came from. Now, after following the recent primary process closely, I think that I understand why people hate the Clintons and why people call them cold, calculating, liars.
    I hate Rovian smear politics. I can no longer listen to President Bush because I don't believe a word out of his mouth. I cannot change the channel or station quick enough when I hear GWB's voice on TV or radio. It is now getting to the point that I can no longer stand to hear Hillary's voice either. I wish that Hillary would stop the Rovian smear politics.

March 7, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  7. Greenview

Tanya Harding a.k.a. Hillary Clinton should fire Wolfson!

March 7, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  8. FL4Obama

This has been such a ridiculous story! I mean she said something to someone OFF THE RECORD and it got published! I'm sure none of us are perfect and that we all say things we don't want published! This was just irresponsible journalism from the start, and unfortunate. But I find it funny how the media is so fickle! I mean all Hillary has to do is play the victim, point to an SNL skit and pout and the media backs off! The truth of the matter is that he's a good guy and hasn't done anything controversial to deserve negative attention from the media.

As a white woman, at the start of the primaries I would have been happy with either Obama or Clinton getting the nomination. But then HIllary started losing, desperation started to rear its ugly head and she got down and dirty! After that I knew that she was the wrong woman for the job. I don't want that kind of person in the White House! Everything negative has come from Hillary and from the media. I can't wait until this circus is over and I never have to hear HRC give another speech!

Obama '08
    YES WE CAN!

March 7, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  9. Felton.."from around the way"

Good job Barack...no negativity !!...Hillary will jerk herself all by herself...no help needed.

– Zulu Nation for Obama !!!!

10. Viktoriya

I think she acted like many Obama supporters on these blogs. They call Sen. Hillary Clinton by any names. Obama himself is responsible for such behavior of his supporters.
    He should fire her. Where is his “high road” “clean” campaign?
    By the way, calling person “monster” and compare somebody actions to Ken Starr are two different things.
    CNN please post.

11. Mike

this is getting out of control... they have both lost control over their staff and all of the negative comments... DNC needs to make a decision quickly before all hope is lost in taking the White House in November!!!

What is sad is that all of the negative comments on the blogs toward each candidate... how is the democratic party going to unite??? especially when everyone states that they are going to vote for McCain if Obama wins or if Clinton wins!!!

12. Darth Vadik, CA

Good,

people in political camps never get fired, they are asked to resign.

13. Kharl-steve

There's no reason to resign !
    was she lying ??

14. kb from Iowa

Looks like Obama knows how this game is played afterall.

15. Bea O'Problem

How can someone at such a high level of politics be so careless to use such words (calling the opponent a monster) when talking to a reporter?

Glad they jettisoned this idiot fast.

OBAMA 08

16. Katherine from Oregon

Who threw the first punch here? Or was it the kitchen sink? Wolfson should resign as well... "Ken Star?" I'm surprised he would bring that up, since now we can all reflect on those tumultuous years. Hmmm....

By the way, why hasn't CNN reported that it was Clinton who went to the Canadians first? Why are we only seeing negative Obama news?

17. Lee, Red Bluff, CA

I think it is time for Obama to step aside for the good of the Democratic Party. The premise of hope, change and a new kind of politics has proven to be a falsehood.

Powers on Iraq in an interview with the BBC: he may not withdraw troops from Iraq as promised because "he will not rely on some plan that he's crafted as a presidential candidate or a U.S. Senator".

Wow – not ready for the presidency. Step aside Obama.

18. Adam

So when is Wolfson going to resign over calling Obama just like Ken Starr for demanding Clinton release her tax records? Let's see if Clinton is made of the same stuff as Obama. I bet she isn't.

19. n. miller

What she stated was the truth – maybe Senator Clinton will get rid of her million adviser for comparing Senator Obama to Ken Starr. But she want because she not above doing, saying anything to get her way. As much as I would not desire McCain for President – if Obama loses I hope he beats her hands down.

20. Vince

Trish, be careful what you ask for. Yes Obama is going to be next to impossible to beat but Hillary will do absolutely anything (and i do mean anything) to win. Unfortunately there are a lot of ignorant people in this country who believe her crap because an older woman should be trusted. She spouts the same lies enough that they start to sound real. Personally I would rather have McCain win over Hillary and I am a very staunch environmentalist so that is saying alot. I have absolutely zero trust in her and I think her campaign has been a bigger disgrace to this country than the voting fraud that was pulled in Florida in 2004. Ask yourself how McCain is going to hold up under the Clinton campaigns constant lies and spin. I have a feeling he will not survive it physically and would expect him to just have a melt down at the microphone. The guy does have a temper deep down and it is on slow boil right now. If he has to go up against that scarred hag it will be turned on to full boil.

21. Tracey

You Hillary Haters are so sad...I have some Kool Aid for you all! Are you thirsty?

22. Nicole, IL

I'm so very sorry to see an HONEST person leave his campaign. She is only expressing the sentiments of more than half of the US, democrats and republicans.

I go back and forth about who I would support in the general, but I really don't think I can, in good conscience, vote for any ticket that has Clinton on it. It would behove Obama to take head of the repulsiveness of Clinton.

She and Bill (he was a family favorite) are dispicable. How can I trust that she will look out for me and my family when she constantly talks out of all sides of her head. At least with McCain, I know what I'm getting myself into and can prepare myself to deal for four more years.

But Clinton ridiculous. I really don't think that I could support her in November, I just really don't. I'm sorry that it has come to this because I really would like to see change, but at what cost???

I'm not willing to pay the price of another Clinton. If the DNC doesn't get behind Obama soon, we may as well just quit the race now b/c McCain has it in the bag. At least he'll tell that he's going to screw you instead of smiling to your face while her husband stabbs the American people in the back.

23. Sally

It was definitely a personal attack to Hillary!!! And it is not tolerant! Why such a remark could come from the month of the person who has been very well educated? Why people hold the stronger hostility to Hillary just because of her long time experience in the politics? This kind of crap "Monster" should go away!

Sally, Texas

24. Cecelia

When the truth is truth you can no longer hold it back and evidently the truth was so strong in her it was worth the risk.

I only see a republican in Hilliary Clinton she is no true democrat.

25. mo

There are plenty of comments and names many of us have for
    Obama but we will be nice and not stoop to that level.
    But I will say monster isn't even close.