March 7th, 2008

Obama adviser resigns over comment

Power has resigned her position with the campaign.
Power has resigned her position with the campaign.

(CNN) - Samantha Power has resigned her position from Barack Obama's campaign after calling Hillary Clinton a 'monster,' the Illinois senator's campaign announced.

“With deep regret, I am resigning from my role as an advisor the Obama campaign effective today," Power said in a statement issued by the campaign. "Last Monday, I made inexcusable remarks that are at marked variance from my oft-stated admiration for Senator Clinton and from the spirit, tenor, and purpose of the Obama campaign. And I extend my deepest apologies to Senator Clinton, Senator Obama, and the remarkable team I have worked with over these long 14 months."

The Obama campaign said that the decision was Power’s, and stressed that “she was an adviser, not a paid staffer.”

"She made the decision to resign and we accepted," said communications director Robert Gibbs.

Earlier in the day, the Clinton campaign had called for Obama to end Power's association with his campaign.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Mary

Although an unfortunate utterance. An apology would have been sufficient. It is primarily as a result of the behavior of Senator Clinton and her campaign staff and volunteers that the campaign has taken this nasty turn. I wonder if she even remembers saying repeatedly at a recent debate that she is "honored" to be in this campaign with Barak Obama. So let's get back to being honorable.

2. joli

This was his top foreign policy advisor... great can you imagine her calling Musharraf or Kim Jong-il a "monster" or looking at them and decrying "yuck!" ? yeah that would go over well... sounds really diplomatic ... They shouldnt have waited for her to resign they shoulda kicked her out right away...

3. Eric

Now that she has resigned Obama supporters are calling for the Clinton camp to apologize for saying that Obama was engaging in Ken Starr like tactics. There is however a couple of differences:

1. Obama has been the one saying all along that he will run a different type of campaign, would not engage in name-calling, and would avoid personal attacks.

2. The comparison to Ken Starr was based on Obama talking about "land deals" and "personal finances" which were part of what Ken Starr was hounding the Clintons about.

3. The comment about Clinton was made about Hillary overall and was personal and was also an insult to the voters of Ohio while the Ken Starr reference was about a set of behaviors and actions and not about Obama as a whole.

4. Democratic Voter

Will Hillary release Wolfson for his "Starr" comparison? If not, it will truly show Hillary's hypocrisy.

5. Susan

Talk about media double standard! Why didn't Cliton's advisor resign for his comment on Obama? Clinton is the one who play dirty politics, and never hold herself accountable!! Why can she just tell us what she is good for in stead of playing negative attack on Obama!

6. Tomi

I am an ardent Barack Obama supporter. All I know is that if this Hillary gets the nomination, and Obama doesn't run as an independent, then I will NOT hesitate to vote Mccain as President come November.

7. Terry, Dallas Texas

I agree with Gary. She needed to go but he was kind enough to let her save some face by "resigning". Make no mistake about it. If she had not left on her own he would have publicly fired her.

8. Carol Schleich

Although I am on the Clinton Express, I believe that Samantha Power was guilty only of over-enthusiasm for her candidate.

9. CHICANO ART, ARIZONA

I read Rolands article. He is right when he says Obama might get knocked out. If he changes his fight plan and starts to fight Clinton's fight he will lose. Obama was able to win all of those states by not fighting Clinton's fight. He wanted to stay positive and it worked. He lost that edge when he started to go negative in Ohio with those nasty mailers. He spent a lot of money, but his message of attack was rejected because it goes against what he said he was going to do. Roland is really trying to convince the Media that they should allow Obama to fight nasty and not call him on not being consistent with his message of rage against politics as usual. I know Roland sees the light at the end of the tunnel, but Obama cannot make there if he goes negative.

I wish CNN would hire a Mexican-American analyst that supports Hillary. All of the Latinos you guys drag in there do not represent the majority of us. That was proven through out the SOUTH WEST contests. Let us have a voice and a platform. PLEASE.
    STENGTH. POWER. DESTINY.
    CHICANO. PEOPLE. CLINTON

10. Greg

Can't argue with her point.

11. Sam

It's a shame that Power had to lose her position for saying the truth.

12. Mike D

She IS A MONSTER

13. Mark

Obama could have made a more respectable move buy firing her instead of her just quitting.

14. shane

to "gary": I completely agree. He showed a lot of decency by letting her "resign", saving her the embarrasment of being fired.

15. Nathan

I have been literally on the fence between Clinton and Obama in this campaign. Honestly, I will be so relieved when Bush is out and one of these two is in that it makes relatively little difference to me. They each have admirable strengths and face genuinely daunting challenges. BUT I'm a huge Samantha Power admirer. The Clinton campaign has forced her out over an off the record remark. Minor matter to many, but one real issue is whether Obama has the details under the control and can get his vision to connect with the difficult realities. Power is a good example of someone who can provide what Obama needs plenty of. I'm on her side. After watching the Clinton campaign take Powers out, I can't help but feel less on her side and more on Obama's.

16. Colo

Lets see if this get posted CNN

Obama IS A MONSTER! Actually he's a TWO FACED, LIAR, HYPOCRITE MONSTER! So, just calling him MONSTER is TOO NICE.

17. Dan, NY

There couldn't be a clearer contrast of the two campaigns.

An Obama aid in an unguarded moment expressed her frustration. She immediately apologized, the campaign condemned the remark, and the aid went on to issue a formal apology the next day and resign.

The Clinton campaign repeatedly makes mud slinging and name calling a formal part of their campaign, while making empty gestures towards running a clean campaign. No apologies, only claims that "Obama deserved it" from official spokesmen.

18. JudyAnn

now fire mark penn and wolfowitz for all their lies and decitful comments. She should have not been fired, what she said was true!

19. LMDJ

Actually she was a NONPAID advisor. She didn't need to be fired. But the lady is right. HRC will say stoop to anything to win. HRC is now aligning herself with McCain. I say HRC run as VP with McCain. Obama would trounce them both in November!

Obama 08'

20. Tyrone Brown, Seattle, WA

Apology and resignation accepted.

Now, it is time to focus on the real issue – who will be the best candidate to win the White House and lead our counry. My time, energy and money is on the "Yes We Can" candidate and not the "Yes I Can" one.

I hope America make the bold choice – Barack Obama the next President of the United States.

21. Jes

I totally understand Power's frustration. When these campaigns started, I preferred Obama but had no real negative feelings about Hillary Clinton. But after the way she's run her campaign - well, I've called her a monster and worse. It's a shame that Obama will lose such a fantastic advisor. Can he bring her back in once he's won the nomination?

22. Rachel in MD

I wish that Hillary would do us all a favor and resign. I thought that the antics of Karl Rove were the lowest but Hillary takes the prize. As a Democrat, if she is anywhere near the ticket, I will not vote for the first time in over 35 years.

23. Denis van Dam

Again, Obama follows his principles and ideas with deeds. I doubt very much Hillary would have done the same with one of her top advisers. That's the big difference between the two candidates. ...........

24. John, N.H

power actually looks like a monster

25. DaY

Clinton is a MONSTER that spreads hatred across the party. She should never be elected president. SHE WILL RUIN OUR COUNTRY the same way she ruins the party right now!!! She runs only for herself.