March 7th, 2008

Obama adviser resigns over comment

Power has resigned her position with the campaign.
Power has resigned her position with the campaign.

(CNN) - Samantha Power has resigned her position from Barack Obama's campaign after calling Hillary Clinton a 'monster,' the Illinois senator's campaign announced.

“With deep regret, I am resigning from my role as an advisor the Obama campaign effective today," Power said in a statement issued by the campaign. "Last Monday, I made inexcusable remarks that are at marked variance from my oft-stated admiration for Senator Clinton and from the spirit, tenor, and purpose of the Obama campaign. And I extend my deepest apologies to Senator Clinton, Senator Obama, and the remarkable team I have worked with over these long 14 months."

The Obama campaign said that the decision was Power’s, and stressed that “she was an adviser, not a paid staffer.”

"She made the decision to resign and we accepted," said communications director Robert Gibbs.

Earlier in the day, the Clinton campaign had called for Obama to end Power's association with his campaign.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. SB

Samantha Power is a brilliant woman and I wish her the best. I believe she made the right decision, and I believe we can tell a lot about a campaign that keeps it's word and doesn't tolerate the politics of personal destruction.

I strongly believe the Clinton campaign should take note. In recent days, they've taken this campaign to depths that many of us have not seen in our lifetime. They have made comparisons to people that are absurd and ridiculous, they have stated on three occasions that McCain is a better candidate than Obama, and they have resorted to attempts at frightening the American people to gain votes, a tactic that worked for GWB in 2004 with disasterous results for all of us.

I commend Senator Obama for taking the high road on this one and for setting a tone for us all. It is a very sad day in this country when Hillary Clinton decides that if she can't win this nomination, she will destroy her opponent in the process. She has caused damage that will not be healed any time soon.

March 7, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  2. Charleston, SC

A sad day. Power is a brilliant person and she was only stating what most of the country believes anyway (Republicans and most Obama-supporters). If Hillary gets the nomination, I'm not voting in the General Election. Her campaign just disgusts me.

March 7, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  3. Disgusted Obama Supporter

I've caucus for Obama, even donated $500.00 to his campaign, because I thought he's the new deal. I was wrong!

I blame Senator Obama for this, no wonder majority of his supporters are nasty towards Hillary; his own foreign policy adviser is just as nasty as his supporters.

I choose Obama over Hillary last February 5, in spite of the fact I don't know much about him. It was my 16 years old son who convinced me to caucus for him. I've read so many blogs all over the internet, what I've read made me remorseful. The statement of Samantha Power have just confirmed my suspicion Obama is the wrong person.

My apologies to all Obama supporters, your nastiness disgust me, I will make amends in general election.

March 7, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  4. Fan of President Bush

This takes sensativity too far in this country! Who cares if you say something mean, are you gonna call your mommy? Clinton must grow up!

March 7, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  5. Krissy P

THANK YOU BARACK. I KNOW THAT IT IS DIFFICULT AT TIMES TO LET STAFFERS/ADVISORS GO, EVEN IF YOU BELIEVE IN THE SPIRIT, IF NOT THE FACT OF A STATEMENT. HOWEVER, I APPLAUD OBAMA FOR DOING ALL THAT HE CAN TO KEEP HIS CAMPAIGN ON THE HIGH ROAD. HE IS SHOWING US THAT EVEN HE MUST SACRIFICE THOSE HE ADMIRES FOR THE GREATER GOOD OF THE PARTY. THANK YOU FOR STANDING UP AND BEING A "REAL" MAN, NOT A WANNA BE.

BARACK THE VOTE IN '08

HILLARY IS A SELFISH, CORRUPT OLD SCHOOL STYLE POLITICIAN. SHE SHOULD BE ASHAMED.

OUT OUT BRIEF CANDLE!

HOORAY FOR OBAMA, A MAN OF TRUE INTEGRITY.

6. Roman, Philadelphia

It's a shame, but it had to be done. I hope she'll re-join the Obama administration after he wins in November.

7. Barbara-California

It is usually a courtesy to allow the campaign employee the option to step out of the arena before outright "firing." Of course this is something the Clinton side of the picture does not recognize; as they do not recognize truth versus false, right from wrong, or moral versus blatently immoral.

What a contrast there is in the professional attitude shown by this young lady; the "talking heads" could take some advise or mirror this behavior; let's face it America, is there going to be respect for Mrs. Clinton, should she finish as the Democratic Partys candidate, let alone, God Forbid, that she would be elected to the highest position of state....President? I think not.

Would the Secret Service "take a bullet for her?" I also think not, there has to be respect for the person before one risks their life for them.
    A very sad situation here. What cost is enough, Hillary, for you to be the "Queen?"

8. California Independent

Some people like Ken Starr. Now Powers needs to resign from Harvard. Her verbal attacts on a Presidential candidate are abhorent and reflect poorly on Harvard. She can't promote civility in international relations and then abandon them when it is convenient. It is discouraging that these are the people Obama surrounds himself with. He's just like Bush.

9. ct

if it would not get out, she would not have to resign. She is a Harvard person...what is wrong with all those harvardians? Arrogant, nasty, using bad words, calling names.....Harvard should be ashamed of having people like these on board.

People tend to overuse strong words -then it does not have the impact.

10. Celia

This is probably the best thing. He needs to stay positive, they are doing politics the old way. Obama is all about change.

11. B 'n T

What has happened to civility in this country? People feel it's okay to call other people dispicable names in public and that's it's okay to do so. This goes beyond just politics... it happens every day all over this country. People– for God's sake, try to treat others with a little decency and respect. What goes around comes around. How would YOU feel if people were calling you names or spreading lies about you in public? This is a sad state of affairs for our entire population in the U.S. Don't think this post if directed just at the Obama/Clinton issue above... it's about civility across our country. Is this how you want your children to grow up– thinking it's okay to treat others with absolutely no decency whatsoever. Anymore, it seems actions speak pretty poorly of the U. S.

12. Lorna

This is in response to "GOOD" that wondered why Obama didn't fire her instead of her quitting. OMG! OBVIOUSLY she KNEW that she would be fired anyway because she KNOWS Obama's integrity. If the Clintons fired (or let them quit) all of their staff that put slanderous statement and pictures against Obama - NO ONE would be working for them! They have NO INTEGRITY – and their staff knows it!

13. Ben

You start to wonder about Senator Obama's judgment in choosing people for his staff who make such comments to foreign press or governments.

14. Daniel

I feel sorry for her. I am sure she was a good person. Do you think Hillary will do the same? No way don't count on it, because she is.....

15. James Mo

There is no doubt that if the Clinton campaign keeps this up they may win the nomination, but the many Obama supporters will not only NOT vote for her in the fall, but many will vote for McCain in November. The Democrats will once again yank defeat out of the jaws of victory.

16. GREG KLINE

SHE IS A MONSTER

HILLARY CLINTON IS A MONSTER.

She wants to seat Michigan's delegates when Obama wasn't even on the ballot? She trumpeted news that Obama told Canada he wouldn't really revisit NAFTA, when it was she that did that, not Obama? She said she loses caucuses because they're over-run by radicals, that winning "red" states doesn't matter, and that Obama only won Georgia and Louisiana because he's black like Jesse Jackson? She whines constantly that she isn't treated fairly, harping that Saturday Night Live says so? Truth, justice, ethics and integrity seem to mean nothing to Hillary. I think the Obama campaign has shown amazing restraint.

LET'S FACE IT, SHE'S A MONSTER

17. sameera, NIGERIA

WHAT HAPPENED TO FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION AND OPINION?
    HILLARY HAS TURNED THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY TO THE THIRD REICH (HILTERS GOVERNMENT) NOBODY CAN SPEAK THEIR MINDS WITHOUT FEAR OF BEING VERBALLY ATTACKED...

THIS IS NOT DEMOCRACY, HILLARY NEEDS TO BE KICKED OUT OF THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY.... SHES DEFINES EVERYTHING UNDEMOCRATIC

18. Vivacious

Hiliary Clinton IS A MONSTER!

19. johno

While I can understand that it is PC for her to resign – lets face it she was saying what a large percentage of the US population already knows about HC – and has had it reinforced by BC and HC over the last couple of weeks.

20. Kasha

To those who comment that Obama's CAMPAIGN went negative, please go back to the article and read it. It says that Samantha Powers was an ADVISOR, not a PAID STAFFER. There is a big difference.

Barack Obama cannot be held responsible for the comments made by an advisor speaking in another country. He had no control over what came out of her mouth when she opened it. She alone holds responsibilty for what she said. She resigned, as she should of.

Case closed, end of story.

Hillary Clinton should run such a clean campaign, but that would be expecting way too much of a Clinton.

March 7, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  21. felise

I really can't stand The Clinton... Hilary who is chelsea real dad...Webster Hubbell maybe?/?

March 7, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  22. French

Hillary Clinton makes me think of Segolene Royal in our country.
    Ambitious, too much to be honest.
    And when it serves, using the fact to be a woman :weeping and scheming!Sometimes a bit hysterical.
    So far from Angela Merkel, always calm and dignified.A real Leader.
    Good luck Amercans!

March 7, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  23. Dan

How could she stay.

March 7, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  24. Karen

I notice he didn't fire her like he said he would do if anyone on his staff did this crap. Typical lying politician.

March 7, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  25. Dory

She said what a lot of voters are thinking. Hillary's advisors and paid staff are guilty of much worse.

March 7, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |