March 7th, 2008

Obama adviser resigns over comment

Power has resigned her position with the campaign.
Power has resigned her position with the campaign.

(CNN) - Samantha Power has resigned her position from Barack Obama's campaign after calling Hillary Clinton a 'monster,' the Illinois senator's campaign announced.

“With deep regret, I am resigning from my role as an advisor the Obama campaign effective today," Power said in a statement issued by the campaign. "Last Monday, I made inexcusable remarks that are at marked variance from my oft-stated admiration for Senator Clinton and from the spirit, tenor, and purpose of the Obama campaign. And I extend my deepest apologies to Senator Clinton, Senator Obama, and the remarkable team I have worked with over these long 14 months."

The Obama campaign said that the decision was Power’s, and stressed that “she was an adviser, not a paid staffer.”

"She made the decision to resign and we accepted," said communications director Robert Gibbs.

Earlier in the day, the Clinton campaign had called for Obama to end Power's association with his campaign.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Horace P Manure

Obama continues to take the high road while Hillary continues to drag those helpless numbers of people who are so desperate to return to some sort of prosperity, they would vote for a Republican like her.

2. Indie in Iowa

Have either she or Obama apologized to Ohio, for implying that they are moronic people who can't think? That would be nice to.

3. Ben in OR

Billary it is now up to you to ask for the WOLF to resign right NOW. CNN (Clinton News Network) needs to make this a big issue and put pressure on the billary camp to do something right for the first time in her campaighn.

4. rick

"monster" comment is real close to being dead on

5. Realist

Damage control Mr. Obama...is this a new type of politics? or Wahsington politics? hmmmmmmm

6. hsl

While her words came back to hurt her this is not a nice game – on either side.
    That is how it has been and that is how it will always be.
    No candidate or their staff is going to change that factor and survive in the world of politics.
    Not unless the whole game changes and regardless of Senator Obama's promises of change – well they are empty promises.

7. Hillary

I love hillary! Lets see, if you needed surgery, would you prefer to go to a surgeon with experience or to one that is young, charismatic but inexperienced? Well, this country is in great need of surgery and Hillary is the only experienced candidate that can perform such task.

Hillary 2009.

Hillary haters... CHILL OUT! you sound frustrated and crazy.

8. g1

Uh, folks, Powers was a "volunteer" and thus can't be fired.

The call for Hillary's tax records is nothing but a fishing expedition, ergo the comparison to K Starr if valid. Hillary's put up with this stuff for decades; the microscopes suddenly on Barack and he ain't looking so hot.. The campaign of "change" and "new ideas" is suddenly looking like the campaign of Mr Meltdown.

9. Terry

I'm glad this is past Obama now. This will allow him to stay on message and continue to critisize Clinton for her failings.

10. Clinton is a fraud

Obama, I will vote for you over and over again.
    You are a decent guy. You did not disgrace your staff and did not waiver on your promise...I wish there were more of you in politics

11. Trish is Still Wrong

Your Dumb!!!! Typical Women Republican!

12. RASHEEDA COOPER

Hillary Clinton IS a MONSTER. It's so sad that she would have to be the female who could possibly make history in this race. I'm disappointed that Ms. Power had to resign for telling the truth, although I do respect her decision to step down, not wanting to impart a negative light on Mr. Obama's campaign.

13. Anna r.

Obama does need to keep taking the high road since the main difference in the two candidates is method, not substance. The problem is that even questions from Obama concerning Clinton are deemed by her (and her campaign) as negative. Has Hillary C. become "She who must not be questioned" ?

14. Cliff

She is a monster. We dont need his campaign saying it. We as supporters and voters are thinking it and saying it. So take this advice, if you work for the campaign dont worry. What you are thinking dont say anything. We will say it for you! But Clinton to ask Obama to have her step down is just stupid. Her campaign puts so much stuff out there about Obama but hide it. At least she wasn't hiding it.

15. tylenol666

Thank God im not working for the Obama Campaign, I Wouldve been "asked to resign" day 1 :P

GO OBAMA!

16. Sundra

Resigning is the only honorable thing she's done in the campaign. However, I still feel that Obama should have fired her.

17. BNB

Is Obama campaign based on hate and negative feelings? Why do you spread this hate? It was a BIG mistake for a Harvard professor and a FOREIGN POLICY adviser to Sen. Obama to call his rival as a monster. Her comment hurts Obama campaign. Judgement for a president is important and finding a normal foreign policy adviser is also a judgement. Obama failed in this judgement. It's good to fail now as a candidate, not later as a President.

18. Jen

Now lets see if Wolfson "resigns". He won't, trust me. Hillary is NEVER accountable for her actions, isn't that right CNN?

I second that!!

At least Obama is worthy of his word and I have not found a dishonest thing against him yet.

All Hillary's dishonest things are coming back to bite her in the -!

Hillary needs to follow her complaints and ravings! Hypocrite she is!

19. Susan

Conservative talk radio is entertainment, not journalism. Those of you who quote it here as though it is fact are being duped. They make you believe them because they say the rest of the press lies. What a good way to get ratings. I don't care who you vote for, but look at those shows as you would a Jerry Springer episode. Interesting, but not based in realtiy.

20. Aubrey

My God, people.

I'm an Obama supporter, but I don't need to tear down HRC like this to prove it; that's the tone of their campaign, not ours. Allow HRC and her supporters to attempt to tear down Sen. Obama for her to win, we don't need to tear her down, we will build ours up.

21. Dave in NJ

Sen. Clinton has completely lost the little respect that I once had for her. There is no way on Earth that she would win the general election, but yet she continues on like a spoiled brat that has been denied candy before dinner. She is proving to the world that she is a liar, a hypocrite, selfish, power hungry, double standard having, person with no integrity at all. Powers has resigned for telling the truth, Hillary should drop out for all of the lies that she has put out about Obama.

22. James, Houston, TX.

The American Choice continues to be Hillary Clinton ! Neither Robt. Gibbs, Samantha Powers nor Obama come CLOSE to Hillary's Professionalism. Try that, with a little "Shorting Bread" y con Saliva !
    You Bush Wackers!

23. Hillary 08

Obama's supports are the rudest, nastiest people I have EVER met. How can a man that is supposed to inspire hope and unity has instead inspired the most bitterest, nastiest, rudest, polarizing people. I used to think about voting for Obama in the general if he was the nominee, but his nasty supporters have really turned me off. McCain will be my choice now if Hillary is not the nominee.

24. Bianka

If the Obama team behaves like idiots what do you expect of the supporters. Like father like buggers. Stick to the issues kids and play nice.

25. Alexis

I can only imagine 4 years of obama government , riddle with hipocrisy misguided loyalty to a man with no qualifications to becoming the next president of the US. To read the obama followers’ notes is scary. It’s like looking in to a fundamentalist church of kind.

The obama campaign has been showing its true colors. They are the ones showing the signs of desperation. Is this what we expect from obama’s presidency. At the first sign of adversity they show signs of desperation. It’s clear that obama and his followers are not on this for the best of the country, but to please their ego.

If you want a church go open one. You have no place trying to run the country.

CNN please do post my comment

March 7, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |