March 7th, 2008

Obama adviser resigns over comment

Power has resigned her position with the campaign.
Power has resigned her position with the campaign.

(CNN) - Samantha Power has resigned her position from Barack Obama's campaign after calling Hillary Clinton a 'monster,' the Illinois senator's campaign announced.

“With deep regret, I am resigning from my role as an advisor the Obama campaign effective today," Power said in a statement issued by the campaign. "Last Monday, I made inexcusable remarks that are at marked variance from my oft-stated admiration for Senator Clinton and from the spirit, tenor, and purpose of the Obama campaign. And I extend my deepest apologies to Senator Clinton, Senator Obama, and the remarkable team I have worked with over these long 14 months."

The Obama campaign said that the decision was Power’s, and stressed that “she was an adviser, not a paid staffer.”

"She made the decision to resign and we accepted," said communications director Robert Gibbs.

Earlier in the day, the Clinton campaign had called for Obama to end Power's association with his campaign.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Alex H

That's fine with me. I've never heard of her, so please feel free to keep using your people to tell the truth.

Hey Wolfson... TAG! YOU'RE IT!

March 7, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  2. Aimee

I could not add a comment to the other headline. To the people that think Bill Clinton was in Canada the night before the Ohio primary. Well, you are wrong. Bill Clinton was in Toronto for a conference on the Saturday. It had nothing to do with NAFTA or Trade. So, you people should get your stories straight. And as far as Obama is concerned he is a fast talking and I would bet on Hillary to be the better president of your country. Nafta sucks and many of us Canadians have loss jobs because of it as well. All the jobs seem to be heading to Mexico. Go Hillary!!

March 7, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  3. Dave

I want to cry! I just did this because Obama told me to do so. Since his campaign is falling apart, I will just resign. I don't want to stick around with a loser.

March 7, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  4. yael

She should have resigned. She shouldn't have been hired in the first place. -A bad hire. I am sorry for her, though. Perhaps it will lead her to a better fit for her, though.
    Democrats remember: United we stand. Divided we fall. We've manage to lose two presidential elections that we shouldn't have lost. Let's not make it a third.

March 7, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  5. Joyce, NY

That's too bad. He truly could use a foreign affairs adviser. I'd say that was really childish comment and ill advised.

March 7, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  6. Michigander

Wake Up, wake up, this was on the news half hour ago. I think that was a good move. Let the Clinton campaign do thier own negative campaiging,

March 7, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  7. Anonymous, San Bernardino, CA

Good. You deserve to get fired.

March 7, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  8. Char

She should have...her personal feelings about Sen. Clinton or any other candidate should have been kept to herself.

March 7, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  9. Alex Cerrone

Dumb!

March 7, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  10. Independent-Latina-voter, Salt Lake City, UT

Good, we have enough negativity and attacks from the Clinton campaign we don't need more from Obama.

I am supporting Sen. Obama, and I am getting very worried about Clinton's attacks on him and her praise of McCain. Hope someone in the Democratic leadership wakes up and realizes that what she is saying against Obama WILL be used against the Democratic ticket in the general election!

OBAMA 08!

March 7, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  11. PJ

Obamaniacs make me laugh. If someone on Clinton's staff had said this about Obama, they would be breaking out with the "shame on you's." I guess it's okay for Obama's campaign to be unethical, but are quick to judge on Clinton.

March 7, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  12. Sara

Why didnt he fire her??? She had to resign?

March 7, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  13. Obama all the way...

Resigning for speaking the truth....oh well. I give her credit for being smart enough to see through Ms. Clinton load of BS....unlike the unedimicated feminists in the other states that have voted for her.

Just goes to show you that not all women think Hillary should be President, just because she is a women. And I am one of those intelligent feminists voting for the better option...OBAMA!!!

Ms. Power just said out loud what the rest of the world is thinking...

GOBAMA!!!!

March 7, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  14. Fran

Samantha Powers shouldn't have resgined. She spoke the truth. Hillary Clinton and her husband both are monsters. They played dirty politics.

Why hasn't attention being brought to light about one of Hillary's campaigner who walked away with "ballots" from the voting polls (in Texas' primary) for Barack?

Northing is being said about that. Why?????

I wouldn't be surprised if both spouses nixed the voting process to stay in this race. They play dirty and hard.

March 7, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  15. Niky

That shows integrity.... It was a respectable move, though I believe sometimes people just say things. She oviously takes the personal responsibility for this. She has done good work for Sen Obama all these months and I am sure its well appreciated by them.

March 7, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  16. shirley ann

Ms. Powers,

I hate to see you GO.

March 7, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  17. Paul

Senator Obama doesn't want to go negative like the Clinton campaign is more than will to. But that does not mean the media should not report on happenings like Rezko, "I haven't been really proud", and the Canadian NAFTA ordeal that turned out to be falsely focused on Obama rather than Clinton costing Obama votes in Ohio, Texas, Vermont, and Rhode Island. So where is the coverage of the Peter Paul election fraud case being successfully delayed until November after the elections will be over? This is a media responsibility to put it out there.
    Look it up, PETERPAUL.COM. If the media won't report on it do your own research. This is just one of many cases the media should be reporting but chooses not to for whatever reasons. Clinton is a monster and is more than will to throw the kitchen sink with the garbage disposal fully functioning while good or bad. Obama does not want to bring up issues like this again Senator Clinton. Therefore, she has taken full advantage of it while claiming to be the victim and attacking at the same time.

March 7, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  18. Yzienk

For those who have doubted the integrity of the Obama camp, there you have the answer of a man of his words. He said that he would not tolerate behaviors of the like of what Ms. Power has shown, then he fires her.

March 7, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  19. Kevin Niles

Now would hillary advisors resign now for making terrible remarks & lies against obama!

March 7, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  20. Brenda, NC

Barack Obama, his campaign, and supporters need to stop with the self righteous act. Obama’s foreign policy advisor called Hillary Clinton a monster—sounds negative to me. This advisor’s apology means nothing; she meant what she said, she just got caught saying it. Obama wants the public to think he doesn’t run a negative campaign but there is a lot of dirty work going on behind the scenes. Whenever Hillary says anything about Obama, it’s considered negative but whenever Obama says anything about Hillary, it’s considered a contrast. The double standard continues.

March 7, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  21. Todd

Hillary Clinton = George Bush

March 7, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  22. Beans

I almost had to laugh at this. Someone is getting fired because she spoke the truth. I wish she'd said a little more before getting fired, which would have been more like the tactics the Clinton camp has used.........someone says or does something which taints Obama, then they are extremely unknowing and apologetic about it......way after it's done its damage.

We forgive you! Most of American thinks she's a monster, and can't believe there are people in American stupid enough to vote for her. Ahhh, but remember, there were enough stupid people in this country in 2004 to elect GWB, so figure it out. HRC appeals to the ignorant portion of the population in this country. Those with college degree and any intelligence at all go for Obama.

Don't worry; it's not libel or slander–it's the truth. And Hillary can take it–she's been called much worse.

March 7, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  23. mjc

seems like there is some panic in the Obama camp... can't handle themselves under the pressure of the clinton ressurection?

ha. politics of usual, not the politics of change. love to watch the obamians squirm!

go hillary!

March 7, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  24. Lindsay

Wow...that's unfortunate. I believe the public apology was enough. But at least now the Clinton campaign won't be able to make a mountain out of this mole hole. The Clinton campaign has been ridiculously negative, and I don't see anyone resigning over there.

March 7, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  25. Bob

Hillary IS a monster, who will do or say anything to get elected. She just said what a lot of people think.

March 7, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |