March 7th, 2008

Obama adviser resigns over comment

Power has resigned her position with the campaign.
Power has resigned her position with the campaign.

(CNN) - Samantha Power has resigned her position from Barack Obama's campaign after calling Hillary Clinton a 'monster,' the Illinois senator's campaign announced.

“With deep regret, I am resigning from my role as an advisor the Obama campaign effective today," Power said in a statement issued by the campaign. "Last Monday, I made inexcusable remarks that are at marked variance from my oft-stated admiration for Senator Clinton and from the spirit, tenor, and purpose of the Obama campaign. And I extend my deepest apologies to Senator Clinton, Senator Obama, and the remarkable team I have worked with over these long 14 months."

The Obama campaign said that the decision was Power’s, and stressed that “she was an adviser, not a paid staffer.”

"She made the decision to resign and we accepted," said communications director Robert Gibbs.

Earlier in the day, the Clinton campaign had called for Obama to end Power's association with his campaign.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. cmt

Let's get real she was asked to resign to save face for the BO camp. Regardless of which candidate you support let's remember these are politics and she had to leave. In my opinion, the Kenneth Starr remark was not a personal attack it was a comparison that is different from calling someone a monster. It was bad judgement on Samantha's part for allowing her emotions to take control; in these types of situations you have to keep your personal feelings out of the picture which is not demonstrated in some of these comments. A united party is not constantly bashing each other for their choice of candidate, nor bashing the candidates because they all have their flaws.

2. Flo

I agree with Power's comment she shouldn't resign over that, because she was telling the truth, that woman is power hungry who would do anything to it, yes Hillary is monster, ahah fire me!!! I use to have lots of respect for the Clintons, but not any more, because Hillary shows no respect for her fellow mate, she should take a look in the mirror, she will see the monster in her.

3. Nittahkachee

I must say Samantha, you really do have the gift of understatement.

4. Hillary Faux Pas

I guess her calling Hillary a monster and that she'll stoop to anything is an innacurate description of Hillary...

Please. The woman was telling the truth!

Obama 08

5. kathy

I keep hearing in the press that a lot of people with lower education are the people that are voting for the clintons, but just because you didn't go to collage shouldn't mean that you are blind and deaf. Open your eyes and ears people, before it's to late.
    kathy

6. Hillary 08

Obama's supports are the rudest, nastiest people I have EVER met. How can a man that is supposed to inspire hope and unity has instead inspired the most bitterest, nastiest, rudest, polarizing people. I used to think about voting for Obama in the general if he was the nominee, but his nasty supporters have really turned me off. McCain will be my choice now if Hillary is not the nominee.

7. Judith

Obama couldn't fire her because she wasn't an employee. She was a volunteer. His campaign has taken the high road, once again. Something I'd like to see other campaigns do. We need to stop rewarding negative campaigning.

8. Steven in Memphis

Hillary Clinton is a MONSTER and Liar. At one time I had a great deal of respect for her, but now NONE. If she become the democratic nominee, I and many of the life long democrats will not be voting in the upcoming election. PERIOD!!!

9. Summerville, SC

So if Obama is so "honest" and so "upstanding" then why are the details of his involvement with Rezko so cloudy? Seems like he just can't remember how his involvment evolved or what any of the details are!! Wow....double standards about people. Your knight in shining armor has some rust!!!! Squeak squeak!!

10. Kerry

Funny, Hillary complains that there aren't enough women in politics ...

However, the brains (ie. attack dogs) of her campaign are all men and she uses Bill's experience and connections as her own.

A smarter thing would have been for Hillary to accept her apology and ask that she stay because she more women are needed in politics.

Hillary has such a big ego, she will not let another women steal her spotlight. Maybe she's afraid that Power is Bill's type.

11. Jason

Excellent and respectable on her part. She did what apparently your campaign didn't "decide" to do on their own.

12. Tjstelten

Well, lets see Clintons come up to the plate! Fire the person who sent the photo of Obama to Druge. Fire the person that said it was Obama staff that spoke to Canada about NAFTA and it was a Clinton staffer, fire the person that made Obamas face darker on her website, fire the person who compared them to Ken Starr a name they contend is a sware word.ect ect ect. The box obama is in ,is that people say fight back, then when he does everyone stumps on him because it does not fit his message! He can't win for losing. A very sad day indeed when we trash the messenger of HOPE AND INSPIRATION!!!!!!!!

13. Christopher Christian

I do believe she did the right thing to resign and spare the Obama campaign the distraction that has resulted from her comments. There are many people, however, who not only find her comments to be a true reflection of how she feels but are also in agreement with the charachterization that Hillary is indeed a monster and would rather see the destruction of the Democratic party in her bid for power than a concession to Barack in a race she clearly will not win. Hillary's lust for power continues to frighten me and I am certainly prepared to vote McCain to prevent her from getting her power hungry hands on the white house.

14. Molly

Trish wrote:

"The Repulicans WILL TAKE BACK THE WHITE HOUSE in 2009."

Not to point out the obvious, but the sitting president *is* a Republican.

15. Hay Market

Read, what she said to Telegraph today before resignation: " I’d do anything he asked me to do. It’s not about working for the next President of the United States, it’s Obama. If he ran General Motors I’d be working for him and I don’t care about cars."

That's obsession, as all of you BO supporters obsessed with this guy.

I am glad he got rid of this overgrown groupie. She was obsessed with him, could not survive his loses, got all hysterical and lost control in what she was saying. Good deal!

16. ABC

If you look at the comments so far, it just shows how the Obama supporters think. They are all like this "monster" lady. They will stop at nothing to attack Hillary. And Obama asked the press to dig up more dirt on Hillary so he wouldn't have to do it. America does not need people like Obama's and we definitely don't need him and Rezko and Farrakhan, etc.

Hillary is the only decent candidate in the democratic race. Let's just make her the nominee and get on with it. Go Hillary!

March 7, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  17. SF Fatima

it was inappropriate to conduct herself in such a manner and thus the only way to reconcile her behavior was to resign. It was the best thing to do all around... however... since I'm not working for the campaign... Hillary IS a monster . It seems like she is working more for her name and connections, then she is for the American people. She said she was destined to become president... isn't that what kings and queens thought?

March 7, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  18. D

I thought Obama was going to stay positive. He is your typical politician. There will be no CHANGE voting for him just the same old politics!

March 7, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  19. AJ, IL

It had to be done. As an Obama supporter, Ms. Power's remark was unofficial and uncalled for. Even if Hillary may come across as a "monster" to her, as an educated and intelligent person, Ms. Powers should have known better. You see, Hillary-supporters, when you break rules (official and sometimes unofficial) there are consequences.

Ms. Powers tried to re-tract and apologized for her comments, but still was penalized. Florida and Michigan broke DNC rules and what are the consequences of their actions? Interesting enough, I have not heard Gov. of Florida or the Gov. of Michigan apologize for screwing up their primaries and disenfranchising there state voters.

March 7, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  20. LOL

LOL – this Obama campaign does everything they can to please everybody. How is this going to work in the White House when he has to make a decision that will anger some people?

March 7, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  21. angelica

This is an outrage. What? You can't say anything about poor pitiful me Hillary? Hillary sure can dish it out but once again watch it? Don't say anything about her. If this poor pitiful me continues I will never vote for a woman again Dem. or Republican. This is disgusting.

March 7, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  22. Robert Zuckschwerdt

Don't you think that she was an advisor because she thinks the same way Obama thinks, wake up people, he just says he's a different kind of politician, yeah right! If you people are comfortable with Louis Farrekan, and Obama's other friend Rezko, a Syrian crook, your nuts.

March 7, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  23. IN Georgia

Now if only "Obama" will resign !!!!!

GO HILLARY 2008-2016

March 7, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  24. York

“Obama will not reply upon some plan that he's crafted as a presidential candidate or a U.S. senator."

Who said that?

March 7, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  25. Timmy

Let me make sure I understant this. She calls Hillary MONSTER. And now the press goes crazy!!!! Hillary is a Monster. Obama do not lay down to jokers!!!!! Bring her back. Man you have to start standing up for your staff and self. Do not be a punk.

March 7, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |