March 7th, 2008

Obama adviser resigns over comment

Power has resigned her position with the campaign.
Power has resigned her position with the campaign.

(CNN) - Samantha Power has resigned her position from Barack Obama's campaign after calling Hillary Clinton a 'monster,' the Illinois senator's campaign announced.

“With deep regret, I am resigning from my role as an advisor the Obama campaign effective today," Power said in a statement issued by the campaign. "Last Monday, I made inexcusable remarks that are at marked variance from my oft-stated admiration for Senator Clinton and from the spirit, tenor, and purpose of the Obama campaign. And I extend my deepest apologies to Senator Clinton, Senator Obama, and the remarkable team I have worked with over these long 14 months."

The Obama campaign said that the decision was Power’s, and stressed that “she was an adviser, not a paid staffer.”

"She made the decision to resign and we accepted," said communications director Robert Gibbs.

Earlier in the day, the Clinton campaign had called for Obama to end Power's association with his campaign.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Lorene Batts

But she is a monster!!!

March 7, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  2. Sherry Wilks

As a life long Democrat, 55 years old, I am sick at heart watching the Clinton's once again do damage to my party for their on selfish political gain. Have we not given enough to them and suffered enough because of them! For the sake of our party I implore Sen. Clinton to prove to me that she has the best interests of the party and the american people on her mind by with-drawing from the campaign now so we can prepare to beat McCain in November.

March 7, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  3. e.moore

Power told the truth. Nobody wants to hear the truth unless they are the ones telling it. Wolfson must go too!! Obama you are going to have to get into the trenches with them if you entend to win. You can spend the millions with nothing to show for it. Nice guys to finish last. Remember Bush Mccain.

March 7, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  4. ChgoDem

Was she renounced and rejected by the new politics of Hope?
    Sounds like she's old school, guess she didn't "keep hope alive".
    *itch is the new Black!
    HILLARY 2008!

5. Sarah L, Fayetteville, AR

Your turn, Wolfson!

6. Mel

...by the way, she was NOT a PAID staffer – therefore it would be a bit har for Obama to actually fire her.

7. Kent D

And the Carl Rove and Ken Starr comments remain on the record?

I think she just told the true. Hillary is deplorable.

8. sara_m

What's the big deal? It's time someone called HRC out!

Obama '08!

9. Danny G. Boca Raton, FL

Trish, how could you have such venum? calling the senator a monster? these candidates are patriots and good people that have done a lot of good for the country and for others... I believe that having differences in opinions and debate is healthy but to call people names is unacceptable. perhaps your education or skew view of facts makes you react this way, it is sad... in the end this is an election about ideas that are good for the country! I'm glad this adviser resign and I think is depressing that the candidates have to go through this, but it is a part of the process.

10. NC

This is why I love this man......Hillary could never have the character or integrity to do anything honorable because she's to busy endorsing McCain or trying to get on his ticket.

11. Veronica

Glad to hear that this woman has resigned from the Obama campaign just as Sheheen did from the Clinton campaign. It's very telling that the Obama campaing talks about hope and postive messages and then there's something like this. John McCain wins in November.

12. Gabe Reed

You people are off-base. HIllary is much more prepared than Obama to be the President and the media/you are so biased. See the stories that favor Obama make the first page and along with those that do not favor Hillary.

An observation from a Republican.

13. Steve, New York, New York

Professor Powers' comments might have been outlandish. However, I think that the next few months will continue uncovering Senator Clinton's ugly personality – now she's trying to have the Michigan and Florida voting count during the convention (because it now suits her), even though she had previously supported the party's decision about early primaries in those states.

Hillary's behavior continues to be unbelievable. It seems that only money (from her lobbying friends) has helped prop her up (and if she's elected, I fear that these groups will become stronger than ever)!

14. felipe

Clinton IS a monster.

15. OBAMA SUPPORTER

Why did she resign for saying Hillary is a monster? That's the truth I personally can't stand Hillary because how she has ran her campaign. Why didn't the Hispanic activist resign in Texas after saying Obama had a downfall and that was because he was black. I truly will vote REPUBLICAN if Hillary gets this nomination. She's the only one that ran negative ads throughout this entire campaign now SHAME ON YOU HILLARY CLINTON.

16. Dem, NV

Regardless who is a monster or who is a liar....
    Anyone who posting comments, please make sure Caps Lock key is off. Show yourself as professional or you can pretend to be one.

Remeber, this an election, any candidate try to attack each other in many ways including personal attacks.

Regardlless who you are supporting for.... do more research before you post comment, use your brain..... unless you are a 5 year-old kid learning to comment...

This is free country, free speaks, free voices, and free opinion.
    I do respect your opinion and it is up to you to respect mine.

March 7, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  17. sHIRLEY

I do not think she should resign. The Clinton campaign wants her to because they know it will be a big loss for the Obama campaign. What she said was true and it was not a dirty name like it could have been.

March 7, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  18. yael

She resigned. Obama did not fire her.

March 7, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  19. Thoughtful NC

But Clinton is a MONSTER that will do or say ANYTHING to win...

March 7, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  20. Adam

Too little, too late in my opinion. The damage is already done. Your camp is looking more petty and desperate with each day. When you lose Penn, you need to call it quits. The hype is over.

March 7, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  21. Steve

This is a campaign of integrity. Period. Clinton cannot hold a candle to Obama and his supporters.

March 7, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  22. It's all politics

It's sad that she has to resign for basically telling it the way it is. Hillary has become a self serving monster. This is politics and it looks better for Obama that she is not part of the campaign.

March 7, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  23. cdun

CNN OH! how you try to continue to show negativity towards the Obama campain. Let's see you cover the positive side of his campain. I am tired of you making Hillary look as though she is some kind o saint. Samantha is right she is a monster waiting in the mist. You just wait and see. She is trying to get into the white house first.

March 7, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  24. joseph

That is a good move for Obama. This will tell people how obama does his own things.He mean what he says and he says what he means.Hillary is follow my word but not my action.

March 7, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  25. Virginia

I heard Samantha Power speak with great respect and admiration for Senator Clinton just a few weeks ago. It's remarkable that these regrettable negative comments off the record are getting such play, given how many mean-spirited lines and lies have come from the Clinton campaign about Obama. But I guess we can't expect Bill to offer his resignation from his wife's campaign.

March 7, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |