March 7th, 2008

Obama adviser resigns over comment

Power has resigned her position with the campaign.
Power has resigned her position with the campaign.

(CNN) - Samantha Power has resigned her position from Barack Obama's campaign after calling Hillary Clinton a 'monster,' the Illinois senator's campaign announced.

“With deep regret, I am resigning from my role as an advisor the Obama campaign effective today," Power said in a statement issued by the campaign. "Last Monday, I made inexcusable remarks that are at marked variance from my oft-stated admiration for Senator Clinton and from the spirit, tenor, and purpose of the Obama campaign. And I extend my deepest apologies to Senator Clinton, Senator Obama, and the remarkable team I have worked with over these long 14 months."

The Obama campaign said that the decision was Power’s, and stressed that “she was an adviser, not a paid staffer.”

"She made the decision to resign and we accepted," said communications director Robert Gibbs.

Earlier in the day, the Clinton campaign had called for Obama to end Power's association with his campaign.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Becky

My 10-year-old neice told me she ahd a dream that Hillary grew 3 more heads...

March 7, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  2. TheRizzo

He should have kept his word from Dec and actually taken a stance on something and fired her. Again he waffles and has her resign. He is such a weak candidate.

March 7, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  3. Max Losk

Go Hillary! Go Girl!

March 7, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  4. joli

This was his top foreign policy advisor... great can you imagine her calling Musharraf or Kim Jong-il a "monster" or looking at them and decrying "yuck!!" ? yeah that would go over well... sounds really diplomatic ... They shouldnt have waited for her to resign they shoulda kicked her out right away...

March 7, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  5. Connie, Richmond, CA

Gary in CT: he did not have to fire her; she was not a paid staff member but an advisor.

Too bad; her comments were completely true. Monster and beyond.

March 7, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  6. Hay Market

Com'on CNN,
    post at least one of mine comments, they are all good :-)

Read, what she said to Telegraph today before resignation: " I’d do anything he asked me to do. It’s not about working for the next President of the United States, it’s Obama. If he ran General Motors I’d be working for him and I don’t care about cars."

That's obsession, as all of you BO supporters obsessed with this guy.

I am glad he got rid of this overgrown groupie. She was obsessed with him, could not survive his loses, got all hysterical and lost control in what she was saying. Good deal!

March 7, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  7. Britt, VA

Honestly whats the big deal, her statement was true, I agree she's pretty much acting like a monster. She basically wants people to bow down to her, she thinks that she can do whatever she wants. Changing rules, praising McCain, and oh yeah whining about everything from stolen caucus packets to getting the first question in a debate. Lets not forget how Hillary didnt completely denounce the comments or support of a supporter who said Obama's problem is that he's Black. Hillary is a the biggest whiner I've ever seen and always plays up to the double standard! She will do anything to win this election and thats moving more towards a fact everyday.

March 7, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  8. dorothy

He is a good man yes he is

9. Bayou Joe

Some how or another I get the feeling that neither one of these two candidates take responsibility for their own actions. it's always someone elses fault. I got it it's a trait shared by all the losers in this country. Did I say losers, I meant Socialists Democrats.

10. Lavine

Pleaase! Hillary and her staff are the biggest hypocrites I ever witnessed. They,ve been slinging dirt since the inception of this competition and all of a sudden their opponents have to také drastic steps when the truth is stated...off the record might I add? If she wins this primary she will NOT get my vote!

11. judtih

why is obama campaign allowing the clinton to set the tone of this campaign. every one is running with what ever hillary says. I consider
    hillary clinton a divider , she is not playing fair so i think the obama campaign need to take page out of her book and go negative. you (obama) said that "i might be skinny but i am a fighter, well show your us that your are fighter. a devoted fan no matter what happens

12. Jayjay

All you Hillary bashers will live to rue the day. Obama is a Chicago politician, and you ain't seen nothin' yet!

13. Jeff Radun

Power Scary

14. Jen

OBAMA TOLD HER TO CALL CLINTON A MONSTER.

GO HILLARY!!

HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT!!

15. MA

Now, Hillary should fired most her staff.

16. Charles Douglas Lemay

I've been trying to find a place large enough where all of us Hillary Haters can throw a rally/party/convention.

Unfortunately, Canada is already occupied.

17. Mary Catholic from Iowa

Too bad, this was the only person telling the truth.
    This is getting way too out of control!
    Hillary just let go, put your Country first for a change.

18. Peter

So much for the empowerment of women from the Clinton camp. It's a really shame. We need strong smart women like Ms. Power in politics, she made a mistake in a moment of frustration and appologized to Sen Clinton and Obama. I don't understand why Sen. Clinton did not accept her appology.

19. Taddele Hiwot

This brings back the morale authority America needs to hold in the face of the World community. When Presidential candidates find it only the decent and the fair minded ones rise as world example tthen only normality in a world triumphs through the American democratic example.

20. Jason

The Obama campaign is always quick on the ball when it comes to these things, they respond fast and they get results.

21. Betsy

This self-righteous idiot Powers has a professorship at Harvard and a Pulitzer Prize? Talk about affirmative action in practice. How dumb do you have to be to make statements such as hers in the midst of a tight campaign? What a moron.

March 7, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  22. Cathy from PA

It goes to show the mentality of the Obama campaign from the top down. I’m sure Samantha Power doesn’t fall far from the Obama tree.

March 7, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  23. Shawn

Ken Starr and Monster are two different characters. If someone try to make a similar case about Wolfson's remark and expect him to resign then they have google a bit more and find out who Ken Starr is.

March 7, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  24. Haley Rodman Clemson

Show some spine! Geez, everytime Hillary asks you to emasculate yourself you jump right to it. You caved on Farakhan's endorsement, you caved on this, when will learn to stand up and say, "That's her opinion and I don't necessarily disagree." John McCain and Hillary Clinton are both willing to stick by their guns when the pressure is on, are you?

March 7, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  25. sbrown

It is too late. The cat is out of the bag. NO one is going to forget her horrible comments.

March 7, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |