March 7th, 2008

Obama adviser resigns over comment

Power has resigned her position with the campaign.
Power has resigned her position with the campaign.

(CNN) - Samantha Power has resigned her position from Barack Obama's campaign after calling Hillary Clinton a 'monster,' the Illinois senator's campaign announced.

“With deep regret, I am resigning from my role as an advisor the Obama campaign effective today," Power said in a statement issued by the campaign. "Last Monday, I made inexcusable remarks that are at marked variance from my oft-stated admiration for Senator Clinton and from the spirit, tenor, and purpose of the Obama campaign. And I extend my deepest apologies to Senator Clinton, Senator Obama, and the remarkable team I have worked with over these long 14 months."

The Obama campaign said that the decision was Power’s, and stressed that “she was an adviser, not a paid staffer.”

"She made the decision to resign and we accepted," said communications director Robert Gibbs.

Earlier in the day, the Clinton campaign had called for Obama to end Power's association with his campaign.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. James

Hillary lovers here, "HAHA you stooped to our level."

Hillary isn't a monster, some of the schrill should pad feminists who lover her so much are.

March 7, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  2. Wilma, in Georgia

Now if only Obama will resign !

March 7, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  3. Dustin

Are people realy splitting hairs over whether she resigned or was fired?Really?!?I am fine with people making criticisms...but that is ridiculous...He probably let her resign in or so that she could save face..that is how high industry and politics works people...please know your systems before you pick something so trivial to critique...I think this shows how serious Obama is about a postitive spirit...and Jim, Obama is pointing out weaknesses...not going negative...I have yet to hear a personal attack from him...so keep wishing for something to hit him on..this isnt it....

4. Anne

The wrath of a women – but it takes one to know one

5. Arthur-Texas

We don't need any more haters in politics.Obama should fire his wife too,since she hates America.

6. chagriner

TO: Samantha Power -
    FROM: The Chagriner
    RE: Proposal

Will you marry me?

7. LD in Birmingham

I really don't think she did the right thing. She should have stayed on, met with the press, and explained over and over and over why her statements were ACCURATE.

Oh well. I hope the good guy doesn't finish last.

8. CNN never posts my posts

Now that's REAL change we can believe in, ha ha!

Obama is playing the good guy role and letting those who surround him dish the dirt so he can keep up his appearance as being a "different" kind of politician. He isn't fooling anyone except for those desperate, poor sould who are looking for a savior. How sad.

HILLARY '08! YES WE WILL!!!

9. Dee

Immature adviser to an immature candidate. Do you think they dont speak this way away from the microphones? Obviously they do and its catching up to them...

10. Robert

Why should she leave when 40% of the country is on record agreeing with her?

11. kyle, oh

this is why barack is the better candidate. he simply surrounds himself with people that he can trust to make good decisions. she made a mistake and took the blame for it.

12. Kathryn Irby - Metairie, LA

What a stupid idiot this woman proved herself to be!! Very unprofessional!!

13. Patricia

oh then the want to cry over what Hillarys people said.
    They lost last week and ever since then they have cryed over every little thing.Obama needs to grow up and be a man not cry baby.

14. JJ

For all those nieve folks out there, in politics "resign" means she got fired. Senator Obama made the right decision.

15. Brenda

Monster is too good for her. The C word is the only one that fits.

March 7, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  16. 1st Amendment anyone?

My god people...

..have we become so petty as to have some resign because they said something a 1st grader would say?

Soldiers and Saliors DIED to give us & protect our 1st Amendment. "PC" has run amuck and is disrespecting those service men who died to give us this right.

I'll exercise my 1st Amendment Right – Hillary is a MONSTER

March 7, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  17. pmac

I think the lady stated her opinion. Freedom of speech. Others may have the same opinion and just have not stated them.
    As for the repubs- – In my opinion they are all morons- – following like sheep to the slaughter. You want four more years of bush? How's your tax cut? Hope it pays for 1 tank of gas! Better brush up on your chinese, they own us.

March 7, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  18. Jason

Now Obama should follow her lead and quit that weird church that praises Lois Farakhan. Come on Obama quit that church instead of defending it !

March 7, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  19. Ann

She shouldn't resign. If Hillary wanted civility she should've remained civil. That "Monster" comment isn't anywhere near the lies she's thrown at Sen. Obama-but at least the "Monster" comment is accurate. Why did CNN take money from the Clinton campaign and advertise for her campaign? Anyone notice her advertisement on the page? I thought news organizations were suppose to remain impartial? Hmmmm Anyway, if Hillary keeps playing the Republican game she will lose...even if she gets the nomination over Obama, she will lose to Sen. McCain. She knows this...It's all about the game-not the party-or America for that matter. Sad. And I was just becoming interested in politics...

March 7, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  20. Ron, TX

Clinton's turn! When is Wolfson going to resign?

Here, you see the biggest distinction between Hillary and Obama.

Obama stands by his principles. Hillary has no principles.

Do you want the next President of the United States to have principles?

March 7, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  21. John

Yesterday Rezko trial opening statement used Sen. Obama name twice.
    Rezko trial will bring lot of good stuff for Obama and he will resign.

March 7, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  22. Anonymous

What's good for the goose should be good for the gander...Hillary, you need to ask Wolfson to resign

March 7, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  23. Dr.Ismail Elsherif

I think this is a wise decision , because Obama is an honest man and his campaign is built upon respect and honesty.
    So we do not want any distraction from our goal to reach the white house.
    thanks
    Dr.ismail Elsherif

March 7, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  24. Willis

SHE SHOULD NOT LEAVE - HILLARY CANNOT RUN HER OWN CAMP!

I AM DISAPPOINTED THAT OBAMA IS LETTING THIS WOMAN GO - HE SHOULD STAND UP FOR HER!

March 7, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  25. Celia

I just heard that the Archivist blocked the release of the Clinton Pardons!

March 7, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |