March 7th, 2008

Obama adviser resigns over comment

Power has resigned her position with the campaign.
Power has resigned her position with the campaign.

(CNN) - Samantha Power has resigned her position from Barack Obama's campaign after calling Hillary Clinton a 'monster,' the Illinois senator's campaign announced.

“With deep regret, I am resigning from my role as an advisor the Obama campaign effective today," Power said in a statement issued by the campaign. "Last Monday, I made inexcusable remarks that are at marked variance from my oft-stated admiration for Senator Clinton and from the spirit, tenor, and purpose of the Obama campaign. And I extend my deepest apologies to Senator Clinton, Senator Obama, and the remarkable team I have worked with over these long 14 months."

The Obama campaign said that the decision was Power’s, and stressed that “she was an adviser, not a paid staffer.”

"She made the decision to resign and we accepted," said communications director Robert Gibbs.

Earlier in the day, the Clinton campaign had called for Obama to end Power's association with his campaign.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. NY

Again. Wolfson didn't call Obama Kenn Star. He called on his CAMPAIGN for starting to behave in ways that Kenn Star did.

March 7, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  2. Gino Correa

It is well know "the enemy of a woma is another woman" is not aceptable this kind of comment To use the word F.....and 'call a candidate a Monster 'in an international forun,This is the kind of press that make the world to have such poor impresion about us,This coment came from a candidate top advicer in foreing policies,It is a shame

March 7, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  3. Alex Cerrone

The Obama Express has been derailed.

March 7, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  4. Paul TX

I'm sorry but comparing someone to Ken Starr and calling someone a Monster is completely different. If you don't see that then you should be drawing a check every month for being stupid.

5. Sechman

Monster ? Try Karl Rove in a dress. Clinton needs to fatally wound Obama so he'll lose against John McCain. Then, she's set up for 2012. Because she KNOWS that most Dems will either forgive her or not be smart enough to remember her smear & fear tactics.
    That is, of course , is she doesn't steal this nomination, outright.
    I'm ashamed of my party. I'm afraid of Hillary Clinton...the monster.

6. Amy, Kazoo

yeah I dont really agree that Wolfson can call Obama Kenn Starr and stay on. As a Clinton supporter, I'm grow more tired every day of the seemingly double standard in that regard.

7. darrellj

"I for one do not believe that imitating Ken Starr is the way to win a Democratic primary election for president," – Howard Wolfson.

Dear Mr. Wolfson,

Please follow the lead as Ms. Powers did today. She said some inappropriate things about Mrs. Clinton and respectfully resigned. The American people would expect you to do the same.

Thank you in advance.

PS – Please buy some new sweaters, yuck!

8. Lisa Gross

I am a Obama supporter and I am glad to see her go because we should never stoop to the level of Hillary in order to bring our candidate up! Obama has vision, insight, judgement, respect for others, intelligence, smarts and wit, and and inspiring quality that makes you want to vote for him and not against someone else. I will send money, make phone calls, door-knock , speak to neighbors and friends for Obama. I will do none of those for Hillary. I will take this year off and pamper myself, save my money, figure out ways to make ends meet without spending money, if Hillary is the nominee! I am gung-ho for Obama and very lack-luster for the Clintons. This is how I feel this election! Obama 08!!!!!!!!!!

9. Mike, Toronto

Good, even though it is always painful when good people have to resign because they're right; she should have known better, out of respect for Obama and what he's representing.

10. Pon Mao

Hillary Clinton should know that a woman can achieve anything a man can on her own without have to stick with a cheating husband.
    (That's what I learned as a woman grew up in China).

What kind of women's right she is trying to push? She just showed the whole world by her own example that a woman has to stick with a powerful man (even if he's cheating) to accompolish anything! What a shame!

11. mjc

saying something silly about ken star isnt the same as this personal attack. powers' attack sounds more like high school level name calling than trying to hint at comparisons to a negative character from the past... most of obama's supporters have no idea who ken star even is.

he did the right thing to get rid of her, but i would have liked to have her around so she could drag him down some more.

hill08!

12. JJ

After I read the actual comments and curse words used from Obama's campaign, I realized just how EVIL that organization is. I am shocked of what I read and personally feel that anyone that can make those comments are illiterate and full of HATE.

13. Stephanie - Omaha

Gary in CT
    Why does Obama have to give her the appearance to
    resign? That is deceitful in itself.

14. Mark

Monster, Liar, Thief, Swindler, Embezzler, Looter, Cheat, and Hypocrite.

15. Tony in Albany, NY

Hillary is a MONSTER...
    Why doesn't Wolfson resign?

Obama still get my vote!

16. Normandy

Why should she be fired ? ?
    What is wrong in calling a monster 'Monster' ??? After all it is the truth. Hillary will stoop down to whatever level.

You said the right thing samantha.

17. S. Edwards

Unfortunately, this did need to happen. I'm proud of the Obama campaign for resolving this quickly. It is nice to see how true leadership works!

March 7, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  18. Naomi

Hillary Clinton is a REAL fighter. She has proven herself in crises situation such as 9/11 where she is the Senator from New York, Bosnia, Kosovo negotiations, the Ireland peace proposals, and in China where she proclaimed loudly that Womens right were human rights. All the women in the world applauded. She is the toughest I have ever seen.

Obummer is just like a con salesman and a weak candidate with Rezko, NAFTA-gate, his racist Pastor Wright, and his unpatriotic wife. I cannot conceive how any patriotic American would vote for him.

Go Hillary .

March 7, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  19. atimebandit

Monster...that is a compliment for Clinton. I think evil is more fitting.

March 7, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  20. brian

shes really turned this election process on its ear.

terrible for our party.

however should she get the nomination we should all back her.

same goes for obama

March 7, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  21. Independent

The emails that Hilarys staff sent out were far worse than what this advisor said. Hilary started her negative campaigning when she was down in the polls, (ie, Nafta-gate, red phone ad, Ken Star, fear emails, and many others). Now she's crying about it.

March 7, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  22. Independent 08

Why does she have to resign for saying the truth? Hillary is a monster who will stoop to any level.

March 7, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  23. LUCY

HOW MANY MORE SUPPORTERS WILL RESIGN

EVERY BLOG WE GO TO ,,WE FIND OBAMA SUPPORTERS USING BAD WORDS AND BEING SEXIST TOWARDS HLLARY

BUT I GUESS PEOPLE ARE SO USED TO IT THEY DON,T FEEL IT ANYTHING NEW,,,,,

BUT THE SAD PART IS ,,OBAMA SUPPORTERS THEY ARE NEVER TALKING ABOUT ISSUES,,ITS ALWAYS ,,HILLARY THIS,,HILLARY THAT ,,,,BILL THIS ,,,BILL THAT ,,,,,,,,ITS LIKE THEY HAVE THIS THING ,,,WHERE THEY BEEN FED TO HATE CLINTON ,,,,,,,BECAUSE THEN THEY ARE BUSY HATING AND NOT LOOKING AT ISSUES,,AND EXPERIENCE

March 7, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  24. R. J. Willis

Why is Samantha Power resigning? She told the truth. Hillary Clinton is a monster and her husband is Dr. Frankenstein.

March 7, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  25. WallyWutMD

Noooooooo! She shouldn't have left. That's just what the Clintons wanted. Usually, it's someone on the Clinton side getting the axe. You can follow the trail of rolling heads back to Hillary's camp. This is another example of how Hillary is forcing Obama to get down in the mud with her. Obama should not stand for it. If I were him, I would not accept Samantha Powers' resignation. That would be a great way to shock Hillary and the political world.

March 7, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |