March 7th, 2008

Obama adviser resigns over comment

Power has resigned her position with the campaign.
Power has resigned her position with the campaign.

(CNN) - Samantha Power has resigned her position from Barack Obama's campaign after calling Hillary Clinton a 'monster,' the Illinois senator's campaign announced.

“With deep regret, I am resigning from my role as an advisor the Obama campaign effective today," Power said in a statement issued by the campaign. "Last Monday, I made inexcusable remarks that are at marked variance from my oft-stated admiration for Senator Clinton and from the spirit, tenor, and purpose of the Obama campaign. And I extend my deepest apologies to Senator Clinton, Senator Obama, and the remarkable team I have worked with over these long 14 months."

The Obama campaign said that the decision was Power’s, and stressed that “she was an adviser, not a paid staffer.”

"She made the decision to resign and we accepted," said communications director Robert Gibbs.

Earlier in the day, the Clinton campaign had called for Obama to end Power's association with his campaign.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Earl

Sad world when someone has to resign for telling the truth.

March 7, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  2. Kelli from DC

Wow. I just really don't know what to say anymore.

I'm a bit apprehensive about the obvious divide the Democratic Party is having. I think we are past fixing it. 3 months ago I thought November was in the bag for us; but, I'm not so sure anymore. Obama supporters are just too die-hard, while this Clinton supporter feels too uneasy with Obama.

I think it's going to take a lot to fix America and bring it up to par again. I feel Obama is just too green. And McCain, well McCain, is just left enough for me.

I think it may be in the best interest for everyone to calm down and try to look at it in each candidates perspectives. The negative comments need to be watered down.

March 7, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  3. mike

You are just scratching the surface. I can't believe that the American public can be so easily led by the nose when it comes to Hillary. I used to be a military man and I wouldn't trust her for a second with our nations security. Most presidents that turn out to be good leaders have the help of a crack staff that they can rely on. She can't even keep her goons in check in a presidential campaign! She really needs to have her feet held to the fire on this and the MSM seems so squeamish when it comes down to "VETTING" her. I have a friend in town that is a big GOP supporter and I told him to save me a huge McCain sign for my lawn just in case she wins the nomination.

March 7, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  4. Sophia, Los Angeles

To Clinton Suporters:

How EXACTLY do you feel about your candidate in a Democratic Primary calling her fellow party member less suitable to run the country then OUR Republican opponent???

March 7, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  5. Mac in Tampa

Don't worry kids – if he's successful, she will have a place on his White House Staff, along with all of the other kids being potty trained at our expense.

Obama Supporters – stop your whining and look at just how GREEN (and I don't mean pro-environment) Mr. Obama and his staff really are.

Open your minds and support Hillary. Call upon Barack to be her VP – the utlimate power ticket and the only thing that makes sense.

March 7, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  6. RT

Well I agree, Hillary is a Monster. I used to be a supporter of hers but I can clearly see what a smarmy, hippocritical campaign she runs. Just yesterday, Kenneth Wolfson called Obama "Kenneth Starr". Now that someone calls Hillary a monster, they cry for her head. You cant have it BOTH ways Hillary. Obama's camp should call for the resignation of Wolfson. I know that Obama is trying to run a clean campaign but Hillary is trying REALLY hard to drag him down into the mud with her. She hurls mud at him and then cries that someone made her hands dirty!

March 7, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  7. HERE WE GO AGAIN

This is so ridiculous!

There is nothing wrong with people voicing their feelings and showing their true colors. I commend Barack H. Obama for surrounding himself with pit balls who aren't afraid to maul anyone who gets in Obama's way.

This is politics. Kudos to Samantha Power for being honest. All politicians should show their true colors.

Hillary R. Clinton should also embrace Ms. Power's comment. After all, she claims that she's a tough fighter. Words are just words, remember that Hillary.

8. Zed

All I have to say is that if the horns fit...well...

You don't have to look very far into Hillary's past to find her draconian tactics, comments, and behavior as a former first-she's no lady.

9. Brian

Now I'd like to see the Clinton advisers who have tried to ghettoize Obama with drug comments, who have spread false rumors about his religion and who spread the photo of Obama in Kenya that was an attempt to scare up more rumors about his religion.

Oh wait Hillary would rather lie about her campaign's dirty involvement than apologize for it. Nothing out of the Clinton campaign surprises me anymore.

Wait for the billarybots to jump all over this one, it'll be hilarious to see the hypocrisy!

10. Ter

She resigned for telling the truth?

11. Sal

Usually 'resignations' are encouraged. this is a good move by the Obama camp.

12. John

I find it amazing that these advisers no matter which side Dem. or Rep. seem to be always putting their foot in their mouths. It seems to be a serious lack common sense.

13. kris

Howard Wolfson needs to go too..that guy is so annoying

14. Rebecca

Senator Obama doesn't want to go negative like the Clinton campaign is more than will to. But that does not mean the media should not report on happenings like Rezko, "I haven't been really proud", and the Canadian NAFTA ordeal that turned out to be falsely focused on Obama rather than Clinton costing Obama votes in Ohio, Texas, Vermont, and Rhode Island. So where is the coverage of the Peter Paul election fraud case being successfully delayed until November after the elections will be over? This is a media responsibility to put it out there.
    Look it up, PETERPAUL.COM. If the media won't report on it do your own research. This is just one of many cases the media should be reporting but chooses not to for whatever reasons. Clinton more than willing to throw the kitchen sink with the garbage disposal fully functioning. Obama does not want to bring up negative issues like this against Senator Clinton. Therefore, she has taken full advantage of it claiming to be the victim while attacking at the same time.

15. Ron

Samantha represents a huge group of people who are frustrated with the way the Clinton campaign is run. She made a mistake and did the right thing in steping down. It just shows how hard change is and reminds us that like Barack Obama, we cannot lose our cool even when faced with disrespect, dishonesty, and negativity. Obama has shown his ability to remain calm, clear-headed, and respectable. These are the qualities of great presidents, an no amount of experience (or faux-experience) can ever make up for a lack of these qualities. You've either got it, or you don't, and Barack Obama is the only candidate left (D or R) that has these God-given qualities. In these times of struggle here in America and across the globe, we need the steady handed judgement of our next great president: Barack Obama.

16. ColbyNYC

This is a huge blow to the campaign. Ms. Power is one of America's leading human rights advocates and an award-winning, respect journalist. Those comments were meant to be off the record; this is the sort of foolishness that will drag this election season down to the dark depths of American presidential politics that the Obama campaign seems to be trying to desperately to avoid.

17. John

Howard Wolfson must be fired for calling Barack Obama, Kenn Starr.

If not, the entire world we see the hypocrisy of the Clinton campaign.

Shame on the Clinton campaign for not following their words with actions.

18. Terry, TX

There are a lot of conservative republicans and independents here in College Station, TX and they are just laughing at those comments because they know Hillary very well for her win-at-all-costs tactics.
    It's clear that she won't stand a bit against John McCain should she be the nominee.

19. William

This is a shame ... but part of the Clinton strategy - to so test the patience of members of an intelligent campaign that they are incited to react.

This is the way school yard bullies do it ... provoke someone until they react, and then run crying to the schoolyard supervisor to accuse the other person of fighting.

We really have to get beyond this kind of thing.

Perhaps I don't though ... has anyone noticed the legal suit pending against Bill Clinton ... Paul vs. Clinton? Am I missing something, or is there simply no interest on the part of our erstwhile press?

20. Pro Pundit

I agree with the commenters above. Let us demand that Howard Wolfson resign if Clinton really thinks that the Democratic campaign should be free of negative campaigning.

Too bad it probably won't happen, though...

21. Ivan, Chicago, Illinois

Took long enough.

22. Know Hillary - No Hillary

Double-standard time again – Clinton's campaign has been making unjustified slams without accoutnability – Bush/Rove like attacks. Calling Obama's strategies Republican-like when she ran that scare-tactic ad in Texas!? That's right out of Rove's playbook. And the latest slam comparing Obama to Kenneth Starr? Huh? Is Bill the only Clinton who tires to re-write the dictionary? What is YOUR definition of "is", Hillary?

23. John, N.H

to Obamites,

Is Ken Starr a monster?

24. laura

yeah...count on ohio to mess everything up...again.
    At least Hilary could LEARN something: stop crying and deal with your issues!

25. New Wave

Say No to Bush/Clinton/Bush/Clinton !!!

USA is not a monarchy.