March 7th, 2008

Rendell pushes for joint ticket

Rendell is a supporter of Clinton.
Rendell is a supporter of Clinton.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton supporter and Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell became the latest member of the New York senator's campaign Thursday to raise the prospect of a joint presidential ticket with Barack Obama, saying in an interview that whoever comes out on top in the presidential race should offer the vice presidency to the other.

"I think it’s important that it be offered, and if the loser doesn’t accept, I think the loser can say why," Rendell told the National Journal's Ron Brownstein. "You know, obviously, I’d love to see a Clinton/Obama ticket. But if Senator Obama won, I think his offering it to Senator Clinton would be a great gesture.

"I’m not sure she would take it, I’m not sure he would take it," Rendell also said. " But either way, I think that it would be good if the offer were made."

Rendell's comments follow those of Clinton on Wednesday morning, who told CBS she thinks the contest may be headed for a joint ticket. Terry McAuliffe, a top adviser to Clinton, has also raised the prospect on more than one occasion.

Obama's campaign brushes aside any speculation on the matter as "premature," and some backers of the Illinois senator have suggested the Clinton campaign raises the prospect so voters think a vote for her will come with Obama as well.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Joe-Wilmington, DE

How about a "no Clinton" ticket?

America deserves better.

March 7, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  2. linus

Why do Clinton and/or her supporters keep bringing this up? Is it because they realize that Obama is the only person who can prevent independent voters from flocking to McCain?

Clinton needs Obama much more than Obama needs Clinton.

March 7, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  3. Truth Please

My comments never seem to make these discussions but I see the same names over and over. Gov. Rendell stated on national t.v. that Ohio was racist and Pennsylvania was the same. So now he wants Sen. Obama to be a gooooood Democrat and let Sen. Clinton be at the top of the ticket. I will along with hundreds in my union change to become and independent. I will not vote for her on top of the ticket and help a bunch of racists put her in office.

March 7, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  4. Joan

Hillary is LOSING. And losing big. 150 delegates and she will not be able to catch up.

Maybe Obama will pick her for VP, but not after she is so ugly and negative.

She's lost. He's won. She may get VP if she drops out sooner rather than later and stops the sleaze.

March 7, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  5. Doc Holiday

Are you people serious, there will be a cold day in hell before you see a joint ticket join with Sen. Obama and Sen. Clinton? Fact of the matter is Hillary Clinton thinks she’s entitled to be president so much so that she would destroy anybody who gets in her way. She would feed her young (although Chelsea is not so young anymore) to wild animals if she though it would win her the nomination.

March 7, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  6. Sabrina

I think Obama would be a great VP and would gain the experience needs to run this country, right now he has about the same experience as W. and you know where that got us. In 8 yrs. I would vote for him but just yet. I am a independent so I will vote Mc Cain if Hillary does not make it. To much is at stake for another novice.

March 7, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  7. Kentucky

You Obama fans are so scared of Hilary it is pitifull. Come on, relax you don't have to lie and try to destroy her. You know she is the most qualified candidate and that is why you say bad things about her. Get over it.

March 7, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  8. Lisa

People in this world is never satisfied with anything our main focas is to oust the replicians,you have two intelligent qualified people here that's equally the same on their ideals give or take a few yet you still complain,they both need to stop beating up on each other and save that energy for the republicians the ones who has hurt these last 7 years and maybe 4 more if mcclain gets in there,they the republicains are sitting back laughing,and raising more money for their mcclain and building him up for the kill come this november,if you'all do the math neither is going to have enough delegates to get the nominatin themselves so enough is enough that butt hole bush refered to the democrats as the enemie is a prime example of what I'm talking about if another one of them people lead this country so it's time for some unity of them coming together and the force behind them will be truly amazing come this nov but god already has it worked out ........hillary/obama'08

March 7, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  9. Obama Mama---Not Shrillary!!

Shrillary is so desperate that at this point she is resorting to any and all things. Her mood swings from one day to the next are scary and her facial expressions reveal her hate for Obama. She has in the last week revealed a real "ugliness" about herself. The Clintons, and yes, we would get the pair, are everything we don't need after 8 years of "Emperor George". Barack Obama is our country's only hope.! I am a 50 year old white woman making less than $50,000 a year and I say "YES WE CAN"!!!

OBAMA '08